Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 02-08-11, 06:05 PM
Speed Speed is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 68
The SilverStone Nightjar series of power supplies is the ideal solution for system builders who want a completely silent PSU that doesn't sacrifice on performance or quality.

Continue Reading

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-11, 06:16 PM
SieB's Avatar
SieB SieB is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dudley
Posts: 8,135
Nice, I hope they manage to do this on 750/850W versions that would be awesome.

My HX850 doesn't make any noise that I can hear, but still, I like the idea of owning a passive cooled PSU
__________________
NZXT Switch 810 - i7 6700K - MSI Z170A Krait - 32GB Corsair Platinum SE - MSI 1070 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Corsair H100 - Corsair RM1000i SE - Asus VE247H

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-11, 10:06 PM
Ya93sin's Avatar
Ya93sin Ya93sin is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 1,517
Silence ftw

But yeah, I can barely hear my 850W, though tbf its probably because its not being stressed that much.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-11, 10:35 PM
alienware alienware is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist
Posts: 0
Send a message via MSN to alienware
A PSU fan should never have to spin up tbh. A good one will carry a 130mm fan and not ever get warm enough to have to engage the fan.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-11, 10:38 PM
Ya93sin's Avatar
Ya93sin Ya93sin is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 1,517
Sometimes once you reach a threshold they automatically spin the fan up, and it never turns off after that, until you turned off the PC, even though they probably could ger away with carrying on with the passive cooling.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-11, 04:27 PM
Speed Speed is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0mB13 View Post

A PSU fan should never have to spin up tbh. A good one will carry a 130mm fan and not ever get warm enough to have to engage the fan.
The idea of active cooling in power supplies is mainly for reliability, due to the huge variation in environments they operate in. Sure your high performance PSU may not need active cooling during the winter or in cold countries but as soon as you think of some of the temperatures that places in the USA or even in the UK hit during summer the lack of a fan will cause problems.

Passive power supplies are therefore quite hard to get right and many of the higher end models require careful thought about the case air flow. I've owned a few and they have a habit of dying. A passive PSU may sound like a good idea but often it is a hard to perfect. Most PSUs these days thankfully use very large low RPM fans, so noise is less of an issue.

Unless you are talking about a studio or audio system (or anything else where noise output is detrimental), I'd honestly never recommend one and even then there are active PSUs with extremely low noise profiles.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-11, 08:29 PM
jammi jammi is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
The Corsair AX are close to passive as I need, most of the time the fan doesnt even spin and even when it does I cant hear it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-11, 10:29 PM
Ya93sin's Avatar
Ya93sin Ya93sin is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi View Post

The Corsair AX are close to passive as I need, most of the time the fan doesnt even spin and even when it does I cant hear it.
Its passive up to 200W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post

The idea of active cooling in power supplies is mainly for reliability, due to the huge variation in environments they operate in. Sure your high performance PSU may not need active cooling during the winter or in cold countries but as soon as you think of some of the temperatures that places in the USA or even in the UK hit during summer the lack of a fan will cause problems.

Passive power supplies are therefore quite hard to get right and many of the higher end models require careful thought about the case air flow. I've owned a few and they have a habit of dying. A passive PSU may sound like a good idea but often it is a hard to perfect. Most PSUs these days thankfully use very large low RPM fans, so noise is less of an issue.

Unless you are talking about a studio or audio system (or anything else where noise output is detrimental), I'd honestly never recommend one and even then there are active PSUs with extremely low noise profiles.
The highest I've seen in the UK is like 37 or so, that's as far as I remember. Most of the time its like 31, I don't sweat until about 33 lol

Ofc the fan makes a huge diffrence though
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-11, 12:25 AM
Bocephus Bocephus is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
The thought of putting a passive power supply in a computer makes me cringe. It's along the lines of putting an air cooled volkswagen beetle engine in a lamborghini
__________________
Forum chat is just that...it's not a doctorate on correct grammar.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-11, 08:29 AM
Ya93sin's Avatar
Ya93sin Ya93sin is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 1,517
Like putting an electric motor in a car, something like that.

But I love the concept of completely silent PCs, great for home theater, and good for gettng work done.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 12:59 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.