Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 02-08-11, 06:05 PM

The SilverStone Nightjar series of power supplies is the ideal solution for system builders who want a completely silent PSU that doesn't sacrifice on performance or quality.

Continue Reading

Old 02-08-11, 06:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Nice, I hope they manage to do this on 750/850W versions that would be awesome.

My HX850 doesn't make any noise that I can hear, but still, I like the idea of owning a passive cooled PSU

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 02-08-11, 10:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Silence ftw

But yeah, I can barely hear my 850W, though tbf its probably because its not being stressed that much.
Old 02-08-11, 10:35 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
A PSU fan should never have to spin up tbh. A good one will carry a 130mm fan and not ever get warm enough to have to engage the fan.
Old 02-08-11, 10:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Sometimes once you reach a threshold they automatically spin the fan up, and it never turns off after that, until you turned off the PC, even though they probably could ger away with carrying on with the passive cooling.
Old 03-08-11, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0mB13 View Post

A PSU fan should never have to spin up tbh. A good one will carry a 130mm fan and not ever get warm enough to have to engage the fan.
The idea of active cooling in power supplies is mainly for reliability, due to the huge variation in environments they operate in. Sure your high performance PSU may not need active cooling during the winter or in cold countries but as soon as you think of some of the temperatures that places in the USA or even in the UK hit during summer the lack of a fan will cause problems.

Passive power supplies are therefore quite hard to get right and many of the higher end models require careful thought about the case air flow. I've owned a few and they have a habit of dying. A passive PSU may sound like a good idea but often it is a hard to perfect. Most PSUs these days thankfully use very large low RPM fans, so noise is less of an issue.

Unless you are talking about a studio or audio system (or anything else where noise output is detrimental), I'd honestly never recommend one and even then there are active PSUs with extremely low noise profiles.
Old 03-08-11, 08:29 PM

The Corsair AX are close to passive as I need, most of the time the fan doesnt even spin and even when it does I cant hear it.
Old 03-08-11, 10:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi View Post

The Corsair AX are close to passive as I need, most of the time the fan doesnt even spin and even when it does I cant hear it.
Its passive up to 200W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post

The idea of active cooling in power supplies is mainly for reliability, due to the huge variation in environments they operate in. Sure your high performance PSU may not need active cooling during the winter or in cold countries but as soon as you think of some of the temperatures that places in the USA or even in the UK hit during summer the lack of a fan will cause problems.

Passive power supplies are therefore quite hard to get right and many of the higher end models require careful thought about the case air flow. I've owned a few and they have a habit of dying. A passive PSU may sound like a good idea but often it is a hard to perfect. Most PSUs these days thankfully use very large low RPM fans, so noise is less of an issue.

Unless you are talking about a studio or audio system (or anything else where noise output is detrimental), I'd honestly never recommend one and even then there are active PSUs with extremely low noise profiles.
The highest I've seen in the UK is like 37 or so, that's as far as I remember. Most of the time its like 31, I don't sweat until about 33 lol

Ofc the fan makes a huge diffrence though
Old 07-09-11, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

The thought of putting a passive power supply in a computer makes me cringe. It's along the lines of putting an air cooled volkswagen beetle engine in a lamborghini
Old 07-09-11, 08:29 AM
OC3D Elite

Like putting an electric motor in a car, something like that.

But I love the concept of completely silent PCs, great for home theater, and good for gettng work done.