Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 14-09-10, 09:20 AM
The Guvnor

Can Biostar keep up with the big guns as they unleash their flagship AMD motherboard?

Continue Reading

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 14-09-10, 09:49 AM
OC3D Elite

the link doesn't work btw comes up as http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/c...90fxe_review/1

Rig Gallery | My Setup | Other Builds
Old 14-09-10, 10:32 AM
The Guvnor

Edited, although the link is the same, it is working now

Old 14-09-10, 10:49 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

Edited, although the link is the same, it is working now
ok just thought i should warn you it is weird with the pcie slots all being together though

Rig Gallery | My Setup | Other Builds
Old 14-09-10, 11:05 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
Tis a bit Richard that one.

Firstly the colour scheme is horrid. Red and black? win. Red black and white? lose.

The slot layout is absolutely awful meaning you could (as has been pointed out) only get away with dual double slotters, meaning the whole excercise is a bit pointless.

And the price? 'sa bad kitty.. The MSI fuzion thing reviewed last week costs less, looks a metric ton of poo better and is an MSI. I know it only had two PCIE slots (full size) but you ain't giving up anything considering this one here is laid out so that you can only use two at once any way.

I mean, who would want to fit single slot cards into a high performance PC?

So the MSI wins the day here for me. It also has Lucid and costs less (though arguably not by much) but when you consider that Lucid chip and the royalties cost a pretty penny? It just packs the mud down even harder over the grave of the Biostar's sealed fate.
Old 14-09-10, 05:26 PM

(lack of ability to recover from failed overclocks) now that is a big problem and I don't recommend buying this board only if there is a solution with a later BIOS update.

Old 14-09-10, 05:28 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post

(lack of ability to recover from failed overclocks) now that is a big problem and I don't recommend buying this board only if there is a solution with a later BIOS update.
Even EVGAs do that. You have to reset the cmos to get them back to life. It's totally not cool. In the one instant my Crosshair 2 failed to post all I needed to do was press the cmos clear on the back plane, then load back up my saved profile.
Old 15-09-10, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Our biggest gripe about the TA890FXE was its overclocking performance. Whilst ~265MHz HTT is far from abysmal, it doesn't offer as much headroom for non Black Edition CPUs as we would have liked. Granted, it is most likely that the end user would buy a Black Edition CPU to start off with, but no one can underplay the flexibility of having a board that is capable of high base frequencies. Even if we were to turn a blind eye on this, we remain particularly disappointed by the TA890FXE's (lack of) ability to recover from failed overclocks. We hope that a later BIOS update will solve this!
Change your ram slots and it will recover Not sure how you only got that htt... 320htt stable is *easy* on air.
Old 13-08-11, 06:21 AM

How can you change the reference clock?

The menu says "Enter Update" but pressing enter does nothing but refresh the screen.

Side note:

This board recovers quite well from failure.

It even has 10 slots to back up your BIOS settings built in, plus a method to recover the BIOS by USB memory stick.

It doesn't have a convenient switch so you can reset the CMOS without getting your hands dirty.
Old 13-08-11, 11:01 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que Quotion View Post

How can you change the reference clock?

The menu says "Enter Update" but pressing enter does nothing but refresh the screen.

Side note:

This board recovers quite well from failure.It even has 10 slots to back up your BIOS settings built in, plus a method to recover the BIOS by USB memory stick.

It doesn't have a convenient switch so you can reset the CMOS without getting your hands dirty.
You missed the point. When you push an overclock too far *most* motherboards will sort it out and return back to stock settings an allow the system to post.

This didnt.