Read on

MSI P55-GD65

3x Kingston X25-V RAID0

2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Old 18-11-08, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

black editions....not really had the best of times....I'm hoping these boasts stay true to form...couple that with competitive pricing and a system thats backwards compatible with some of the AM2+ systems for DDR2 and the newer AM3 systems for DDR3 and AMD could be onto something really interesting...it still seems like walter the softy versus the hulk though...lets wait till january...cos we've all oooo-ed and ahhh'd about unlocked mulitpliers before and been drastically disapointed...
Old 18-11-08, 12:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Nice info m8.

I dont understand the pursuit of the tri core. If they were massively selling Intel figures, then sure keep up with them, but to do it "cos u can" seems a waste of money. Do we know or know of any1 with a tri core ? In the current climate, cut ur production to things that have a high chance of selling.

Reckon they're playing the old Athlon XP+ naming game with those x4 940s ? The i7 940 is a new customer aint it ? Pfft if it performs the same as the old Athlons did with their Intel P4 counterparts - best of luck to em, and good job.

Old 18-11-08, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

I actually know a guy who orders tri-cores on a regular basis, however, and this is a big however, I heard it was a way for AMD to recoup money from the defective cpu's that suffered from the TLB problems, I know a workaround was implemented through bios but users reported a 10-20% performance decrease, there solution at a silicone level was to deactivate one core, now I thought this was a spook story, however the innitial tri cores have disapeared reet quick, I smell a fish....but your right, it seems "special" to say the least...why bother...
Old 18-11-08, 04:22 PM
OC3D Crew

I thought they were dropping the "black editions" and favouring the revival of the FX?
Old 18-11-08, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

sorry my mistake...it doesn't say black edition...it just says multiplier-unlocked....last time we heard that from AMD was the black editions...duh..yes it does on the other slide...teaches me for just reading the first slide
Old 18-11-08, 04:54 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jaster'
sorry my mistake...it doesn't say black edition...it just says multiplier-unlocked....last time we heard that from AMD was the black editions...
Nah, it clearly says black edition on the enthusiast slide
Old 18-11-08, 06:00 PM
OC3D Elite

So according to the first slide, the most powerful Phenom II quad is going to be stuck on DDR2 all the way in to at least Q3 of next year? That's a bit stupid no?

Edit: Hmm but then the next slides say the 945 will be out in Q2 on AM3 so yeah still gonna have to wait a few months.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 18-11-08, 08:41 PM
OC3D Crew

With the current prices of i7 this will play into AMD's hands
Old 20-11-08, 12:00 PM

Finally some good news from AMD.

Sure hope they will get back into the game with this CPU's and it’s getting quite boring if there is just one major player. I've always favored the AMD CPU’s, but now I had to jump to Intel to get a decent one. Maybe I can return to AMD with my next build.