Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 12-10-08, 11:20 AM
OC3D Elite

OC3D Review: Synology DS207+ NAS

Looking to take the leap towards Network Address Storage (NAS)? Synology' DS207+ NAS has everything that you'll need for a SOHO NAS solution.

But don't take our word for it - check out the review

Old 12-10-08, 12:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Great review. These units are excellent pieces of kit.

Unfortunately for me they're still priced as if they're being targeted at businesses - what's more, IT people within businesses. Gloss or repack them anyway they like, £230 without any thrown in drivespace is alarming. And if they're looking to really target the average home buyer, they will have to have some sort of drive in them. Yes they're basic to put together - but that is scary to most who dont dabble inside pcs on a regular basis.

And heres the thing - if u do dabble inside pcs, u wouldnt pay £230 for one of these for 2 drive storage when u have an old pc.

Good tech. Throw in merely 2x500g drives for the price and it'd be a good purchase.

Old 12-10-08, 12:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Thanks Rast, and yes I wholeheartedly agree with everything that you've just said. As if the cost of the NAS itself isn't enough, then to factor in the cost of one or two fast HDD's into the equation - you're up for some serious coin.
Old 12-10-08, 07:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Really good review mate. Enjoyable read.

I too winced a bit at the price. Its been a while since I last built a "really" budget PC, but I wonder if you could build a small PC with a pair of 300-500GB hard disks for the same price-ish. Just slap a linux distro on it and you'd have yourself something very similar.
Old 13-10-08, 12:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Thanks Jim I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
I too winced a bit at the price. Its been a while since I last built a "really" budget PC, but I wonder if you could build a small PC with a pair of 300-500GB hard disks for the same price-ish. Just slap a linux distro on it and you'd have yourself something very similar.
I'm sure you could and the results would be worth the extra effort too.
Old 13-10-08, 01:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Really good review mate. Enjoyable read.

And the thing about it being, u can add masses of drives to that pc, perhaps virus check ur stuff automagically at night, have it handle ur printer and a whole world of other things - including folding

Old 13-10-08, 01:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
And the thing about it being, u can add masses of drives to that pc, perhaps virus check ur stuff automagically at night, have it handle ur printer and a whole world of other things - including folding
Very true. Almost makes me wanna build a wireless NAS and have it tucked away in a cupboard somewhere with a wireless N card installed.

Just a shame I don't have the time to fiddle, which I guess makes the PnP nature of the Synolgy appealing.