Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 27-06-08, 11:18 AM
OC3D Elite

PhysX on NVIDIA only? - Not anymore!

A clever chap has managed to enable the PhysX layer on HD 3800 series ATI Radeon cards, and he wants to add more to the list.

Details in the news article

Old 27-06-08, 11:22 AM
OC3D Elite

I`m real confuzed. How does his score improve with hardware physx possibilies ?

And.. I do wish they`d sort out the physx drivers to hijack all those games that use the software-physx.

Old 27-06-08, 01:38 PM
OC3D Elite

if i were him - id be hiding before the men in green suits come and get him
Old 27-06-08, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

I know its a bit off topic..but its cuda related...I just noticed that elcomsoft password hacking CUDA software is listed within the CUDA developments page...clicked on more info....went to elcomsofts page...thought lets have a laugh and see how much it costs...then nearly SH*T myself at cost...

check it out

http://elcomsoft.com/eprb.html

still no sign of the physx cuda beta though ... still says "later this year"
Old 27-06-08, 04:47 PM
OC3D Elite

When will PhysX be availible for all cards is what im wondering.
Old 27-06-08, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

all cards....i only thought it was for cuda enabled cards...if it is available on all nvidia cards do you recon this Geforce 440 mx sat next to me will have a massive performance boost
Old 27-06-08, 04:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Yea but to my knowledge ATI didnt have Cuda tech.
Old 27-06-08, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

there using the havok engine instead of ageia physx...from what a freind of mine at infrogrammes has said the SDK's they have are pretty similar...he said its no surprise really someone has the physx running on ati...at the end of the day all gpu's are bound by dx and opengl (although dx is the most prominent) so the way they work has got to be pretty similar as they are bound by that standard...I would of thought though that Nvidia would have put some kind of restriction within the hardware....even if it was just a vendor ID tag to stop this happening...even if they have I think its evident whatever hardware protection they have is easily bypassed...
Old 27-06-08, 06:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PP Mguire'
When will PhysX be availible for all cards is what im wondering.
I know there`s been Ati talk in the past regarding physics stuff, and alt to physx.

But inherently, I can see and understan that all a gfx card manuf needs to do it hijack the physx drivers - legitimately they`d need permission, I`m thinking.

But still, they *could* just attach code to an existing physx driver install and branch off it.

Can`t see it tho in this day`n`age. Every1 wants and needs to be 2000% legit or face the lawyers.

Old 27-06-08, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
I know there`s been Ati talk in the past regarding physics stuff, and alt to physx.

But inherently, I can see and understan that all a gfx card manuf needs to do it hijack the physx drivers - legitimately they`d need permission, I`m thinking.

But still, they *could* just attach code to an existing physx driver install and branch off it.

Can`t see it tho in this day`n`age. Every1 wants and needs to be 2000% legit or face the lawyers.
yep...to right...all ati will do is reverse engineer it and rebrand it ... saying that ati and intel have teamed up to face the big green machine

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-havok-physics

there has been other news about it but i cant frankly be bothered digging them all out...its interesting as larabee is beng co produced at the same time...weird intel and amd teaming up tho