Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 31-01-08, 08:15 PM

OC3D Review: XFX 780i SLI Motherboard

XFX are really getting serious in the motherboard market.

But how does their latest board compare?

Check it out!

Old 31-01-08, 08:25 PM
OC3D Elite

XFX always do have lovely bundles..

Looks like the 780i isn't what was expected with the overclocking..
Old 31-01-08, 08:26 PM

Well 3600ish is OK, remember it is chip and cooling dependent
Old 31-01-08, 08:59 PM

Hi guys!

First visit to the website to read your review was pretty informative!

I know that the P35 chipsets work well with the new (not so new now I guess) Intel Quads and the ATI/AMD Radeon cards. You stated earlier that for the sake of uniformity that you'd use the Radeon card. I personally believe that because of this the board wasn't shown in fairness to the other boards. Being an Nvidia chipset, would it have not been wiser to use a similar performing card to the Radeon?

Cheers,

Brad
Old 31-01-08, 09:07 PM

A graphics card should not perform any differently in theory under different chipsets. We don't use an Intel card

A "similar performing" card wouldn't perform the same and numbers wouldn't be comparable I'm afraid. Plus using an Nvidia card could also be construed as bias too so we use the same card for all boards.

I do understand your point but we try to make sure every review item is looked at as fairly as possible so we have to decide on one card to use, and this time around we went for an ATI X1950 Pro

EDIT: And welcome
Old 31-01-08, 10:05 PM
OC3D Elite

A great read tbh. It is very true that XFX spend time on their packaging for all their products. (I have an XFX badged raid card, as well as the obvious, and it`s evident there too)

I know Kemp has something up his sleeve regarding a sli testing, I can sense it in the air

The sli has to be a big deciding factor in leaning towards these 780i boards (not to state the obvious).

So will it`s `good` to `nearly as good as` performances in other departments stand it in good stead.

Since I`m not a convinced SLI supporter, it`d be easy for me to not suggest these 780i boards to people - however, if their SLI performance is as good as proposed, u`d have to take them seriously and not just for the benchmark chasers.

Dissapointed with the audio outputs, would like to have seen eSata ports, but can understand why they were omitted.

Old 10-02-08, 12:24 PM

Just out of curiosity, you listed one of the motherboards you were testing it against as the Asus P5E3, however under your memory list, you only showed DDR2 RAM. So were you using a P5E or a P5E3? And if you were using the P5E3, what RAM was used with it?

Eller
Old 10-02-08, 12:35 PM

The P5E3 used Kingston PC11000, which is why it scores higher in general RAM tests
Old 21-02-08, 02:36 PM

I was quite suprised by this review, I honestly thought that this chipset/motherboard was going to blow everything out of the water.

One thing I do detest about immediately when I saw that motherboard was that ugly SB heatsink.