Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 13-11-07, 12:06 PM
OC3D Elite

World’s First and Only 1500W NVIDIA SLI Certified Power Supply

"Thermaltake Technology announces today, its top of the line PSU, Toughpower 1500W, has been certified by NVIDIA as SLI-Ready PSU."

More in the news article

Old 13-11-07, 12:14 PM
OC3D Elite

I`ll read the article more in depth in a mo, but my first alarmist response to this is: cpus are using less power, they`re making drives with more capacity and less power, power is being trimmed on whatever they can lay their hands on in the name of "greeness". WtEf 1500W ?

Best be some serious answers.

Old 13-11-07, 12:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Someone like our Jimbo could use one
Old 13-11-07, 12:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
I`ll read the article more in depth in a mo, but my first alarmist response to this is: cpus are using less power, they`re making drives with more capacity and less power, power is being trimmed on whatever they can lay their hands on in the name of "greeness". WtEf 1500W ?

Best be some serious answers.
Agreed. IMO the PSU market is gonna fall over on its arse soon. Every memory manufacturer and many GPU ones are all getting into the market, where in all honesty there isn't a market to get in to. The only thing that makes people move away from their trusty X PSU that's been running 5 years solid is the need to upgrade to a more powerful unit. Take away the need for extra power, and you take away the need to produce new units.
Old 13-11-07, 12:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PV5150'
You wouldn't be suggesting that I have one on my desk right now would you?
Old 13-11-07, 12:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Me...? No, not at all
Old 13-11-07, 12:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PV5150'
Heck, I could use one. But I`d use it in place of the 4 or 5 (~400w) I got at the moment.

Thing is, tagging something as SLI or Crossfire certified, implies it`s for a gaming pc. I`d actually go out on a limb and say 99.99% of gaming pcs - worldwide, wouldn`t require half of this. Maybe 99.98% at a stretch.

I`d need to read on b4 I get any further critical tbh, I don`t want to be too ignorant about a cause.

Old 13-11-07, 06:41 PM
OC3D Crew

I've heard it a lot on here and agree, that really the expansion for psu manufactures is to make them quieter and more efficient.

I would be quite interested in how much more power the average system now uses compared to the average system 2 years. Then comparing that to the average psu now and then.

I'd fancy the amount of power used would only have changed a little, but the percentage growth on the psu rating would be much much higher. Speaking for myself, 2 years or so ago on an A64 I used a 300 watt psu, now I've got 580 watts. Surely the power need hasn't doubled in that time has it?

However you can only make a transformers effective up until a point. I'm sure LED's and bigger watts will sell more psu's to kids than lowering your families energy bill and fighting climate change..
Old 13-11-07, 08:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Its a bit like the hard drive market and their slowness to make HDD quicker. I think PSU makers need to start to make them more power efficient, less heat, less noise ect.
Old 13-11-07, 11:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Well...the potential for using more juice has DEFINITELY increased over the last couple years

a Quadcore CPU (overclocked) and 2 2900XT cards (overclocked) could suck 800W alone at full whack

now, GPUs are being refreshed to use less power, but 3 and 4-way GPU setups are coming.

I think a lot of this is e-willy waving. PSUs running at ballpark 60-70% might not be operating at maximum efficiency.

I agree that better efficiency and lower noise would be nice.

What about working on VRM and transformer technology to see about making really good PSUs smaller?