Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 18-09-07, 05:03 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to WC Annihilus Send a message via MSN to WC Annihilus
AMD Pulls Out Triple Threat

"AMD announced today that they will be going into a so far unexplored market in the processor world: the triple core processor."

Read on

MSI P55-GD65

3x Kingston X25-V RAID0

2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Old 18-09-07, 09:29 AM
OC3D Elite

seems daft...there's dual, and quad, even numbers...why odd lol
Old 18-09-07, 09:32 AM
OC3D Elite

I don't really know what to say about this other than...why?

[clutching straws]I guess it may offer better energy efficiency if you have a machine that only performs 3 primary tasks so a quad core would be using unneccesary energy, but c'mon....[/clutching straws]
Old 18-09-07, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

I think the answer is "because they can" and "because intel cant" (using their current architecture in which a quad core is simply 2 dual cores on the same chip) ... but I could be wrong.

And like you say, it may provide a better cost/benefit option than dual or quad for some applications. Thereby giving them a small section of the market where they are sole supplier with no competition. Of course, this doesn't mean they can charge the earth for triple core, because that would simply drive people to quad or dual core instead.
Old 18-09-07, 01:16 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nrage'
I think the answer is "because they can" and "because intel cant" (using their current architecture in which a quad core is simply 2 dual cores on the same chip) ... but I could be wrong.

And like you say, it may provide a better cost/benefit option than dual or quad for some applications. Thereby giving them a small section of the market where they are sole supplier with no competition. Of course, this doesn't mean they can charge the earth for triple core, because that would simply drive people to quad or dual core instead.
I agree. Most people are obsessed with the number of cores these days. If somebody was on a budget, and had a choice over a dual or tri core CPU, I would imagine a siginifcant number going the tri-core route (so long as there isn't a significant performance difference between them).
Corsair 750D with mesh airflow front panel, i7 6700K, Asus Z170-Deluxe, H110i GTX, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, 1TB BX100 SSD, RM750i, K70 RGB, M65 RGB, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3,3x 27" 1440p monitors (2x Dell U2715H & S2716DG 144hz)
Old 18-09-07, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Yeungster'
I agree. Most people are obsessed with the number of cores these days. If somebody was on a budget, and had a choice over a dual or tri core CPU, I would imagine a siginifcant number going the tri-core route (so long as there isn't a significant performance difference between them).
i suppose price will be a big thing, also if there isnt much diffrnce id go dual as heat will be alot less wouldnt it?

OCZ 8800GTX 768MB 692/2200|4GB Ballistix Tracer8500 [email protected]

Thermaltake Mozart
|Alphacool Laing DDC ULTRA|Thermochill PA120.2

D-TEK FuZion (CPU)
|Swiftech MCW30 (N|Noctua NC-U6 (S

Old 18-09-07, 03:01 PM
OC3D Elite

My guess is that these are 4 core chips with one core disabled to help yields. They could basically use any chip that has one bad core instead of it being useless.

Old 18-09-07, 03:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Nagaru'
My guess is that these are 4 core chips with one core disabled to help yields. They could basically use any chip that has one bad core instead of it being useless.
Was my first impression tbh.

Die a quad and disable a core ? Or use the space 1 took up to do something else to benefit the L3 ? Or a flaw they`ve found (but not told any1) in the quad that this will cover ?

Seems on the surface to be a step back for seemingly no reason, the quote in the article talks alot and says nothing.

Old 18-09-07, 04:09 PM
OC3D Elite

a step backwards from there quad imo. The only reason i can see is to make use of the quads that went up.

Old 18-09-07, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

I can totally understand this decision if there's a big price gap between the dual and quad cores.