Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 11-05-19, 03:38 PM

Question about AIOs

So I have an EVGA CLC 280mm with two 140mm fans in push configuration. I also have an Corsair H80i V2 with two 120mm fans in push pull configuration.

I have an i7-8700k on a Asus Z370-A prime with vcore set at 1.14v (manual) MCE disabled, core ratio left at auto so usually turbos up to 4.3GHz, LLC is at level 5.

I thought I'd test both these coolers with the same system, same thermal paste, as close to as possible fan and pump speeds, under the same 30min stress test with OCCT however with the 280mm temps hit highs of around 78c yet with the 120mm they hit around 65c. I'm really hoping someone could offer insight as to why whether it being something I've overlooked or missed as it just doesn't seem right to me, thanks.

Old 11-05-19, 05:09 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUllock View Post
So I have an EVGA CLC 280mm with two 140mm fans in push configuration. I also have an Corsair H80i V2 with two 120mm fans in push pull configuration.

I have an i7-8700k on a Asus Z370-A prime with vcore set at 1.14v (manual) MCE disabled, core ratio left at auto so usually turbos up to 4.3GHz, LLC is at level 5.

I thought I'd test both these coolers with the same system, same thermal paste, as close to as possible fan and pump speeds, under the same 30min stress test with OCCT however with the 280mm temps hit highs of around 78c yet with the 120mm they hit around 65c. I'm really hoping someone could offer insight as to why whether it being something I've overlooked or missed as it just doesn't seem right to me, thanks.

The difference may well be down to the fans moving a lot more air through the radiator, 120mm fans typically tend to have much higher static pressure which is great for radiators.
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 11-05-19, 05:12 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Ideally you need the same exact fans for both just different sizes.

For AIO units the fans are probably the most important factor in cooling.
Old 11-05-19, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
The difference may well be down to the fans moving a lot more air through the radiator, 120mm fans typically tend to have much higher static pressure which is great for radiators.
Good point, I hadn't actually considered that, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Ideally you need the same exact fans for both just different sizes.

For AIO units the fans are probably the most important factor in cooling.
I only did this for fun essentially rather than scientific testing but it's good to see the difference, I had considered upgrading the fans in the past but could never really decide if it was worth it. I watched TTL's review of the Vardars a few times trying to decide.
Old 11-05-19, 11:18 PM
OC3D Elite

As the others have said above, if you had the exact same fans, just in different sizes, such as the Corsair ML fans in both 120 and 140 sizes, then it would have been more of an equal testing.
Old 12-05-19, 07:48 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUllock View Post
Good point, I hadn't actually considered that, thanks.

I only did this for fun essentially rather than scientific testing but it's good to see the difference, I had considered upgrading the fans in the past but could never really decide if it was worth it. I watched TTL's review of the Vardars a few times trying to decide.
I have the GT typhoons which are basically the pre Vardar. They are good. However I recently got the new Noctua A12 fans and they are by far the best fans on the market and I don't care what anyone says. GTs used to be the king of the market but man these Noctuas are something else. More quiet, more air, more static pressure. I did direct comparisons between them. Noctuas won in everything. I needed the GTs to go up another 300-400 rpm to get the same amount of air moving. Yet because of that they were much louder. Noctuas at same speed were more quiet.

Basically not one complaint outside of holy s* are they expensive. However just switching the fans though on my AIO I dropped 7C during gaming. Benchmark didn't change much as the AIO unit itself isn't capable of pushing my CPU further (it's the 2nd gen h100)
Old 12-05-19, 08:48 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I have the GT typhoons which are basically the pre Vardar. They are good. However I recently got the new Noctua A12 fans and they are by far the best fans on the market and I don't care what anyone says. GTs used to be the king of the market but man these Noctuas are something else. More quiet, more air, more static pressure. I did direct comparisons between them. Noctuas won in everything. I needed the GTs to go up another 300-400 rpm to get the same amount of air moving. Yet because of that they were much louder. Noctuas at same speed were more quiet.

Basically not one complaint outside of holy s* are they expensive. However just switching the fans though on my AIO I dropped 7C during gaming. Benchmark didn't change much as the AIO unit itself isn't capable of pushing my CPU further (it's the 2nd gen h100)
They look like sh*t as well...
Old 12-05-19, 11:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
They look like sh*t as well...
Subjective. They're not if you design your rig around them.

Old 12-05-19, 12:04 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:

I'd love to change to them but the colour won't go with my rig and it would cost a forture to replace the 19 Silent Wings 3 fans I already have.
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 12-05-19, 01:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Subjective. They're not if you design your rig around them.
True that it's subjective, but there is a reason there's a meme of them going as "poop brown and vomit tan".