Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > MSI UK Forum

Old 23-10-14, 10:44 AM
OC3D Elite

GTX970 Gaming Coil whine Strikes back

So after RMA'ing my 2 GTX970 gaming edition cards I purchased a second pair thinking that it was just bad luck the first time and my second purchase should be fine.

WELL I WAS WRONG

This pair also has coil whine which is actually a little worse than the previous cards. It cant be my power supply as Scan tested the cards on their system and replicated the coil whine on both cards.

This is deeply upsetting and stressful as I have already RMA'd one set of cards and gone weeks without my rig due to low stocks of the cards.

Im at my wits end. MSI I love this card its cool quiet (except the buzzing) and looks great with my other MSI components but I cant handle the droning buzz they produce whilst gaming.

Edit:

Here is a video of the coil whine. If I can get this dealt with without an RMA it would be great or if I have to RMA can the cards be tested for coil whine before sending them to me.

http://youtu.be/mBth-zbVhyo

Old 23-10-14, 11:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to MSIRawZ Send a message via Skype™ to MSIRawZ
Sorry to hear that dude.

I'll see if we can do anything that saves you time having to get them replaced (again) - Give me a few days next week.

I've had coil whine in my own PC but this was with an AMD 5-series ages back. Coil whine is a very annoying aspect of pc hardware. It can simply be a combination of various hardware including the GPU, the Mobo and PSU together that just don't quite agree with one another. Other times it can be the quality of the hardware used, i.e. PSU. It's just one of those things thats difficult to pin point and usually no fix.

Having 4 970's is very unlucky. After more weeks of research it seems to be how these new Maxwell GPUs operate. It's the high GPU frequencies and power noise generated by the PSU & Mobo that all combined may lead to coil while. It affects all brands of 970/980 cards and seems to be a design issue in general - But we can't confirm that.

Perhaps more needs to be done. Check with other users what PSUs they are using to run 970s and mobo used combined.

Coil whine on those cards affected can vary from card to card and is always the risk when getting a replacement and being very unlucky to get another "whiner".
Old 23-10-14, 11:29 PM
Bettyswollocks

Imho I can't hear it, are you 100% sure it's coil whine? I had a GTX660 that had it and it was loud similar to this that Linus demonstrates @ 1:30 onwards.

Old 23-10-14, 11:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Coil whine is a known phenomenon and actually exists all the time - It's just that you can't hear it 95% of the time.

Another problem with coil whine is the types of frequencies emitted from the hardware - Sound is very subjective. Either people can hear it prominently, some can barely hear it, and others just don't notice it at all. What you may consider loud may actually be another persons quiet or adequate.

You may not want me saying this to you as you've had 4 in a row emitting coil whine, but the % of people who have bought 970/980's across all brands don't have cards that emit this electrical noise. However the internet being what it is, it makes it look like it's affecting most people.. Internet can be great, but sometimes can mislead people.

In reality we've sold 10's of thousands of the 970's alone in the UK but RMA rates in the first 30 days since launch are normal. It's just a case of selling thousands of cards in such a short time frame that obviously people will all go on the internet at the same time and talk about their new card. If we sold 100 for example, you wouldn't hear about it.

Coil whine no doubt exists on the 970/980s, but a small % are affected and can be a result of using hardware that doesn't like one another.

A quick Google myself and I see a lot of the people with issues seem to have Corsair PSUs. I don't know the OEM for some of these PSUs but perhaps it affects those types of PSUs only. There are stories on the web where people with 970's that have coil whine swapped their PSU and the noise for them disappeared.
Old 24-10-14, 06:41 AM
OC3D Elite

As far as i know most corsair powersupplies have seasonic as their oem.
Old 24-10-14, 09:04 AM
OC3D Elite

My rig setup is:
I7 4790k @ 4.6ghz
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Corsair vengeance pro 16gb 2400
2 x samsung evo 250 raid 0
Corsair AX860 80+ platinum
Corsair H110

I've done everything I can think of to eliminate the problem I've burnt the cards in for 48hrs and the noise only got worse and my whole build is built around silence so the buzzing and clicking is really prominent and disracting.

It's very frustrating and upsetting I'm building an MSI gaming themed rig so I really want these cards otherwise all the money I've spent on custom decals and fabrications of logo's and dragons is wasted.

My power supply cost me £150 and ironically I bought this power supply because its 80+ platinum and I wanted good clean power to prevent coil whine.

It's a lot of money to shell out again because it doesn't get on with my gpu's.
Old 24-10-14, 11:29 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
As far as i know most corsair powersupplies have seasonic as their oem.
Another trick of the internet

Corsair does use Seasonic in some models today but not as much as they used to donkey's back. Most people seem to think of Seasonic when they talk about Corsair PSUs. Going back many years, most Corsair PSUs we're Seasonic OEM but they gradually phased them out for other (possibly cheaper?) solutions like Flextronics, Chicony & CWT (Channel Well). Clever word-of-mouth social internet marketing right there, and has enabled many users worldwide to trust the Corsair brand name when it comes to PSUs because of the history (along with quality & award-winning PSUs of course!).

It's only really XFX who uses Seasonic is all their PSU's these day's.

However, the OEM for Steverebo's Corsair AX860 is indeed Seasonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverebo View Post
My rig setup is:
I7 4790k @ 4.6ghz
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Corsair vengeance pro 16gb 2400
2 x samsung evo 250 raid 0
Corsair AX860 80+ platinum
Corsair H110

I've done everything I can think of to eliminate the problem I've burnt the cards in for 48hrs and the noise only got worse and my whole build is built around silence so the buzzing and clicking is really prominent and disracting.

It's very frustrating and upsetting I'm building an MSI gaming themed rig so I really want these cards otherwise all the money I've spent on custom decals and fabrications of logo's and dragons is wasted.

My power supply cost me £150 and ironically I bought this power supply because its 80+ platinum and I wanted good clean power to prevent coil whine.

It's a lot of money to shell out again because it doesn't get on with my gpu's.
I'll see if we can do some kind of advanced RMA for you bud. We don't offer any service of this kind in the UK (or elsewhere) however. This is more of a personal favour

FYI, buying an 80+Platinum or Gold PSU won't save you as you would expect - It's down to the quality of the components used in the PSU regardless if it can meet the 80+ requirements for those categories. However, I'd like to think the AX860 is top quality (especially given the Seasonic OEM). It's probably more of a compatibility issue (in some respect) only.
Old 24-10-14, 12:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSIRawZ View Post
Another trick of the internet

I'll see if we can do some kind of advanced RMA for you bud. We don't offer any service of this kind in the UK (or elsewhere) however. This is more of a personal favour

FYI, buying an 80+Platinum or Gold PSU won't save you as you would expect - It's down to the quality of the components used in the PSU regardless if it can meet the 80+ requirements for those categories. However, I'd like to think the AX860 is top quality (especially given the Seasonic OEM). It's probably more of a compatibility issue (in some respect) only.
That would be fantastic and very much appreciated thank you RawZ your a true gentleman for helping me out.

Very impressed with the support from you guys and made me really glad I bought MSI.
Old 26-10-14, 10:15 AM
OC3D Elite

Ok I have an update.

I didnt want to waste your time if the problem was my power supply so I bit my lip and bought a superflower Leadex 850w Gold PSU and installed it.

Unfortunately the coil whine still exists although the frequency has actually changed to more of a clicking and buzzing rather than the squealing it was doing with my corsair.
Old 26-10-14, 10:27 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverebo View Post
Ok I have an update.

I didnt want to waste your time if the problem was my power supply so I bit my lip and bought a superflower Leadex 850w Gold PSU and installed it.

Unfortunately the coil whine still exists although the frequency has actually changed to more of a clicking and buzzing rather than the squealing it was doing with my corsair.
Sorry to hear that man, since this is such a sexy card, i was looking to get one but i'm starting to have second thoughts, i have no luck when it comes to stuff too lol