Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 24-10-18, 03:48 PM
News Guru

Alienware is "absolutely" looking into the PC components market

Would you buy a standalone Alienware component?

Read more about Alienware "absolutely" looking onto creating standalone PC components.

Old 24-10-18, 04:13 PM
Resident Newb

If they were to sell their cases separately, Which I've loved the look of for years now, It may spur me into giving them more money by buying other things too.
Battle.Net: Dicehunter#2746
Old 24-10-18, 05:00 PM
OC3D Elite

lol they already have their own motherboards made by MSI, so that would be easy.

Whatever they make it will be far too expensive to compete, IMO. HP already tried that when they sold their Omen case. Sadly it was 4x more than it should have been.

Old 24-10-18, 06:16 PM
OC3D Elite

I would be interested if they were still independent but since Dell got hold of it IMHO they have slipped away from they were. So unless Dell can offer components that can compete on an equal footing and at a good price I just think meh another supplier of components, like we don't have enough already.
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 24-10-18, 06:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
I would be interested if they were still independent but since Dell got hold of it IMHO they have slipped away from they were. So unless Dell can offer components that can compete on an equal footing and at a good price I just think meh another supplier of components, like we don't have enough already.
In all honesty Dell have improved things. Their cases pre Dell were pretty on the surface, but cheap elsewhere. The Predator 1.1 I have is nothing like the Dell one.

Before Dell they never used any of their own components. Just a case, with a top end Asus or EVGA board and etc. A PC building company, rather than a proper outfit.

I can't see this working out, mostly because what they make will be very expensive. Like I said, MSI make all of their boards now, who is going to over pay for a lacklustre MSI with an alien on it? they'll go the same way as NZXT boards, IMO.

The cases would sell, but again you have massive competition and the price would limit your audience severely. Who is going to pay £500 for a case?

Old 24-10-18, 07:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
The cases would sell, but again you have massive competition and the price would limit your audience severely. Who is going to pay £500 for a case?
Former Case Labs buyers. But then Dell would have to NAIL it, and I don't have faith that they could. It would be too expensive, or too feature-limited for the cost. It would have to be that perfect blend of function and form, AND a decent price. Doubt they could pull it off.

Old 24-10-18, 08:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Former Case Labs buyers. But then Dell would have to NAIL it, and I don't have faith that they could. It would be too expensive, or too feature-limited for the cost. It would have to be that perfect blend of function and form, AND a decent price. Doubt they could pull it off.
I kinda prefer even EVGA DG87 over the Dell cases. Was a huge fan of their old ones, but nowadays my taste has changed.

They aren't bad cases now, but to me, they are limited to options without modding. I don't typically like chopping cases because here in Norway, I have always 90% resell factor.
Old 25-10-18, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I kinda prefer even EVGA DG87 over the Dell cases. Was a huge fan of their old ones, but nowadays my taste has changed.

They aren't bad cases now, but to me, they are limited to options without modding. I don't typically like chopping cases because here in Norway, I have always 90% resell factor.
Isn't Scandinavia in general a very good place to buy PC parts at pretty low prices compared to other areas?

Not sure if I like that, as the others have stated: things will be expensive!
Old 25-10-18, 07:29 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Š View Post
Isn't Scandinavia in general a very good place to buy PC parts at pretty low prices compared to other areas?

Not sure if I like that, as the others have stated: things will be expensive!
Yes it is. But used market is also popular.

I had a C700P case which I paid £340 for. (only costs £285 in UK). However I was severely disappointed with it so sold it for £325 recently. I didn't lose much at all.

Had I chopped or modded something permanent. I'd be lucky to get £200.

Same thing goes for my TT Tower 900. Bought for £350 sold for approx £320.

And its not like I only had them a few minutes. The prices at retail on cases are on the rise here.