Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 03-04-19, 11:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Aye water cooling is like crack. Very addictive

Immensely satisfying though.

Old 04-04-19, 05:41 AM
OC3D Elite

Thanks of the inputs , in fact the reason I am thinking 2 x 420 is because the case I have is huge, it looks so empty on my desk especially when I'm sat next to it and I can see up in the roof and into the front panel.

The Thermaltake View 71 I think is a made for watercooling I think because the the huge volume of space inside its very hard to get any air flow especially with the 1cm gap all around the case as the tempered glass sits on standoffs.
I can put my hand in the middle of the case with top, front and back fans on full and I can hardly feel any movement.

So even if it is overkill I am definitely gonna get x2 420mm rads just to fill in the empty space.
Intel Core i9 7980xe @ 4.5GHz @1.18v - MSI MEG X299 - NoName 2666mhz @ CL19 3200mhz - Thermal Take View Glass - PM961 1TB x2 - Aorous Extreme RTX 2080 Ti - 2 x 360 Rad + D5 Pump - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz
Old 04-04-19, 10:09 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLN View Post
Thanks of the inputs , in fact the reason I am thinking 2 x 420 is because the case I have is huge, it looks so empty on my desk especially when I'm sat next to it and I can see up in the roof and into the front panel.

The Thermaltake View 71 I think is a made for watercooling I think because the the huge volume of space inside its very hard to get any air flow especially with the 1cm gap all around the case as the tempered glass sits on standoffs.
I can put my hand in the middle of the case with top, front and back fans on full and I can hardly feel any movement.

So even if it is overkill I am definitely gonna get x2 420mm rads just to fill in the empty space.
If money is no object and its for aesthetics then go for it . I do have 2x 480s in my case after all.

You may need to rethink your pump though. D5 gives a softer smoother sound and almost cant notice it and may struggle, but a DDC e.g. MCP35x will pump through your loop far stronger than a D5. Downside is its slightly louder. Upside, is no other pump gives better headpressure, and its smaller than most pumps.
Old 04-04-19, 12:22 PM
OC3D Elite

After reading about the Bitspower hex flow meter I was a little concerned about pump strength, so I got a 18w DDC. I got mine for £38 on sale, but a check shows they are about £60. I bought a clearance plain black acetal top for £4.80, then a cooling block by EK again on sale on OCUK (was about £8? something like that?)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-wa...wc-484-ek.html

However after all of that I was able to run the pump at 7v and still get tons of flow. I am using a Aquaero to control my pump, and a PA3 for my fans.

Old 04-04-19, 12:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
After reading about the Bitspower hex flow meter I was a little concerned about pump strength, so I got a 18w DDC. I got mine for £38 on sale, but a check shows they are about £60. I bought a clearance plain black acetal top for £4.80, then a cooling block by EK again on sale on OCUK (was about £8? something like that?)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-wa...wc-484-ek.html

However after all of that I was able to run the pump at 7v and still get tons of flow. I am using a Aquaero to control my pump, and a PA3 for my fans.
DDC is my weapon of choice. I love how strong it is. Currently im using only 34% PWM and it is still maintaining the recommended 1.0GPM. sounds like you have a similar setup to me now.

I use two of them now. The Swiftech pump house was fantastic. Gave it a little colour too as it was too white.

FTLN highly recommend this pump (single pump version). Its louder than D5 but pushes far more water at 50% usage than the D5 does on maximum.
Old 04-04-19, 12:50 PM
OC3D Elite

I have a D5 in my green and silver rig. It's nowhere near as powerful as the DDC. I agree also about the D5 being "quieter" but I can't hear my DDC at all. The EK kit is great too, as it comes with rubber mounting legs.

Pumps sure are expensive. It's worth having a good one if the rig is high end though. I do like the £7 Chinese pumps I've used, but they are kinda ugly and nowhere near as powerful.

Old 04-04-19, 01:30 PM
OC3D Elite

https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/329...af82c7d0ad8af1

Word on the street is that those are very good. Awesome for a backup, but work very well any way on their own merit. Might be worth considering, especially if you are going to use two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=e6Kc7gcD6FU

Old 04-04-19, 03:33 PM
OC3D Elite

The D5 can push through any loop, there's no need to concern yourself with needing extra head pressure that the DDC provides. Either pump will do the job, with the D5 being more reliable and less likely to break down. That's not to say that DDCs are weaker, but the D5 is near indestructible.

Old 04-04-19, 04:06 PM
OC3D Elite

This looks pretty good : https://www.docmicro.com/watercoolin...cle_14039.html

Any thoughts ? Only 102 euros also..

Here is the full shopping list:

Intel Core i9 7980xe @ 4.5GHz @1.18v - MSI MEG X299 - NoName 2666mhz @ CL19 3200mhz - Thermal Take View Glass - PM961 1TB x2 - Aorous Extreme RTX 2080 Ti - 2 x 360 Rad + D5 Pump - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz
Old 04-04-19, 04:19 PM
OC3D Elite

yup looks a good deal.
€102 for that is quite good for a retail price. My pump alone had cost more than that.

but you do know you ordered 2 different thickness radiators right?

XT45 and UT60. Just checking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
The D5 can push through any loop, there's no need to concern yourself with needing extra head pressure that the DDC provides. Either pump will do the job, with the D5 being more reliable and less likely to break down. That's not to say that DDCs are weaker, but the D5 is near indestructible.
I would somewhat disagree with you on that.

My D5 could not push through my CPU, 2 GPU, 2 480 rads both vertical and a host of rotaries at 100% PWM. It actually had almost no flow. So either its broken down or its not powerful enough.

i used it as part of my cascade waterfall res, but ditched it due to being weak. Its far prettier than a DDC though and purrs like a kitten.

D5 head pressure is 3.9m. The MCP35x (swiftech ddc) is almost double that 7.1m.