Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 17-05-17, 10:07 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverebo View Post
50% more gaming performance over the fury X will only put Vega in 1080 territory it would need atleast an extra 30% on top of that to match performance with the 1080ti let alone compete with it but it's a good start and should hopefully help reduce some prices on both sides as the nvidia have really hiked thier prices
It really depends on how much AMD's other changes help, the new rasterizer will help to limit "unnecessary work" when rendering scenes and other factors like the new Geometry Engine and Primitive shaders will help to get more work out of Vega per clock.

Right now it remains to be seen how much these factors will change things, but Vega is certainly more than just an overclocked R9 Fury X.

Even so, I don't see the Vega beating the 1080Ti in everything, I hope it will be a close battle and that the RX Vega will be priced well.

Old 17-05-17, 11:50 AM
OC3D Crew

Looking at that Sniper Elite 4 demo, it is sitting between the 1080 and the Titan X Pascal at 4K. About 8-10% faster than a 1080. I would hope partner cards could manage another 7-10% for models with better coolers, and slightly higher clocks.

Add in driver maturation over 4-6 months, we would typically see another 10-15% increase in performance. This would put it above the Titan X Pascal.

I would not be surprised if it took until September for AMD consumer cards to hit the shelves, and another month or two for partner cards. And in typical fashion, it will be January or February before there could be significant volume available to purchase.

Volta will launch, but Nvidia almost always brings out the mid range first. I doubt this is going to be faster than Vega.

The good news, it looks like Navi has had a lot of work done to it. If they could get Navi out by next July, about the time Volta gets it's high end release, AMD has a good chance to really put their foot down on the gas pedal and take a solid performance crown win. Only if they don't fall behind over the winter, and get Navi out on time.
AMD R7 1800X-Asus Crosshair VI Hero-16GB GSkill 3200mhz-Corsair HX1000-XSPC Raystorm Copper Edition-Dual D5 Pumps-Corsair Force 3 SSD-Sapphire Fury X2-Corsair 900D-Windows 10 Pro-Dell U3011-Dell 2007FP
Old 17-05-17, 11:51 AM
OC3D Crew

I am happy and rooting for AMD with their new GPU's, but I think it will be too little too late to compete with the 1080ti.

I think this will be another round of 'close, but not close enough' like the Fury X vs 980ti.

As I stated before I wanted to buy a AMD card but they took too long....
Old 17-05-17, 12:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Governour View Post
I am happy and rooting for AMD with their new GPU's, but I think it will be too little too late to compete with the 1080ti.

I think this will be another round of 'close, but not close enough' like the Fury X vs 980ti.

As I stated before I wanted to buy a AMD card but they took too long....
Ditto mate I couldn't sit on my cash any longer the Mrs would have found something to spend it on or there would have been "Daughter tax"

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 17-05-17, 12:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Frontier will have lame clock speeds you can't predict performance based on that.

Either way disappointed.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 17-05-17, 02:47 PM
OC3D Elite

I just can't see it, Vega at best will come close to the titan X but won't touch the 1080ti and it will be too little too late as by the Volta will be released increasing the performance gap again.

Same old story for AMD always late to the party
Evolv ATX Tempered Glass | i7-7700K OC @ 4.90GHz | Custom water loop | ASROCK Z270 Gaming K6 |GTX 1080TI @ 2120mhz 12000mhz | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200MHz CL15 | 256GB Samsung 950 Pro, 500GB Samsung EVO 960, 2 x Samsung Evo 850 500gb| Corsair RM850X PSU| Sound Blaster Z|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old 17-05-17, 03:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverebo View Post
I just can't see it, Vega at best will come close to the titan X but won't touch the 1080ti and it will be too little too late as by the Volta will be released increasing the performance gap again.

Same old story for AMD always late to the party
I really can't see it being as fast as a 1080Ti. I just can't and never could.

I wouldn't say it's too late either. At the end of the day so long as it comes along at some point and makes even a slight impact it will help. Ryzen took years, but everything has changed since even if most people are still buying Intel CPUs.

Volta is not of interest to me, unless we see a £300/£350 '70 replacement that performs around the same as the 1080Ti. But I can't see that happening either, because like you say I doubt AMD will worry big Pascal, let alone Volta. Well, unless Nvidia crap out and Volta stinks for some reason.

I think I am decided now. No new GPUs for the foreseeable. Graphics are not really improving and TBH weren't really supposed to with DX12. At least we are seeing better performance though, so it's slowly improving.

One thing that is worrying is the cost of HBM. The Fury X would have been an amazing card, if it were £100 cheaper. But AMD could not do that because of the cost, so they are adding superflous features to a card that no one wants and then having to relay that cost onto the consumer. Which is never really a good idea, and probably why Nvidia have not used HBM2 yet.

With it all getting more and more expensive with no real reason or need I think I will just stay put. Game launches have been so poor and against my tastes for a long time so why would I pay hundreds of pounds to play the same games I am not playing now? doesn't make sense.

Raja did make one sound point last night. He said that AMD GPU users compared their cards to fine wine. IE - they improve with age. And every driver AMD launch the more reason I have not even to bother powering up my Titan XM.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 17-05-17, 06:42 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
Ditto mate I couldn't sit on my cash any longer the Mrs would have found something to spend it on or there would have been "Daughter tax"
So sooooo true, I had the wife all ready speaking about some stuff that we could buy with that cash for our daughters...

Not because they need it, just because she is a woman and they see cash = spending on house or children.
Old 17-05-17, 07:16 PM
AMD Enthusiast

You guys need a more firm hand then! I tell my spouse no and she knows not to dispute it.
I personally am not following the stereotype, happy wife(not my wife, we are just engaged) happy life. Men deserve happiness too. I guess my girl is just understanding about it. Might be to late for you fellas