Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 02-08-19, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, that's a heck of a story and very informative. Thank you. Deep down I knew you were right before you said all that, but the way you explained it, with the example, really drove it home. So I suppose the first step is to get Windows 10 and install it. Next, I'll set the DSR factors to 1.2x (native resolution) and hope that equals 1440p. Trial and error I guess, unless you know the conversions by heart, though I wouldnt mind trying some games at 4k, whatever the conversion for that is.

Thank you very much. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Edit: 1.78x native for 1440p

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060WF3OC 6GB
Audio: Onboard out to Logitec 6.1
PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 700w
Case: Thermaltake Dokker
Old 02-08-19, 11:59 PM
OC3D Elite

I will knock up a tutorial on Weds when I'm back home. It's very easy. Yes, get rid of Windows 7. Seriously it's really very old.

I doubt a 1060 will push 1440p very well, let alone 4k. Buying a better CPU won't improve that much. All you'll do then is tap out the GPU but games most definitely will not be three times faster. A 3D render would, but that's nothing to do with gaming.

I'd start with the change to Win 10. Don't upgrade, do a clean install. The CPU I linked you to will improve things. Especially in multi tasking. It will also be better for DX12.

Your GPU upgrade path really should be a 5700. If you can't afford that then you're better off sticking with what you have for 1080p. The next logical upgrade is a 5700 Radeon or 2060 Super. That would allow smooth 1440p gaming.

Don't worry about losing money on the Xeon. Your motherboard is one of the best X79 boards and quite desirable due to the cheap 8 core Xeons.

Old 03-08-19, 02:33 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Dx12 won't improve your performance much because it's almost entirely CPU focused plus few games support it.

Moving to windows 10 would give a small performance bump but nothing significant.

The new Navi based 5700 is the best bang for buck GPU. If it's to much for you then the next best cheapest is the 1660ti. It's faster than the 1060 by a pretty fair amount. Should even do native 1440p at 60fps.
Old 03-08-19, 09:25 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah AUS prices can seem a lot different to here, I don't think you'd find new AMD Vega's there anymore but you might be able to find some good deals 2nd hand on eBay or craigslist or something if the 5700 is too steep, they're not as efficient but not too much slower while you might be able to find for ~GTX 1660Ti prices or something, you wouldn't need a PSU upgrade for it I don't think from your existing model or anything like that even with that Xeon(The 8c Xeon route is a pretty solid route, I used an old dual socket (2x4c Xeon) server for a while since you can sometimes find complete server systems for like <£100 if a company needs rid, I assume a lot of people buy these and then sell them in parts cheap). And yeah DX12 & Vulkan games will make better use of these high core count ~medium IPC CPUs, spreads the draw load out much better, makes them more consistent in like 64 player Battlefield and stuff like that. It's not a super long term solution as games will start to need more but it should still last a few years without it being an issue, and at the current rate of value improvements for CPUs you'll be finding 2nd hand new 8-cores for the price of this Xeon by then, if you want the biggest performance gains now.
Old 03-08-19, 08:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Windows 10 will appreciate more cores. Its strength is in multi tasking, which even on my 2.3ghz 10 core is fantastic. It wasn't this good on a 4590.

As said by TG, DX12 also responds very well to more cores.

Bang - there's an Aussie guy on Youtube who loves these Xeons and is always using them in builds. Forget what he's called now, but have a look on there. Even the old 6 core Westmeres do very well (X58)

Old 03-08-19, 09:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
If you have the money to spend and you want something new? by all means go for it, but for the most part expensive CPUs are not worth it. Mostly because for gaming and general duties they're really not very important, so long as you have something half decent. I bought my 14 core 2 years back now, and have no plans on replacing it any time soon. I keep romanticising about buying a new one, then I see that an "upgrade" would cost me at least a thousand pounds and in real world terms? yeah, I wouldn't even notice it. CPUs are far less appealing than a good old beast of a graphics card dude.
God damn Alien, you keep on bringing it home dude! You're truly the "go-to-guy" for advice and most importantly, for getting one's head right. By very good explanations and hence a reason as wether to buy something or not. I can't even tell how many times I've come to you for advice regarding a purchase and you've not let down once. Even reading most of your posts in the forums, makes one wonder about their own choices and if it's a good one or not.

You simply pretty much always go out of your way to help and you see everything for what they truly are, if they do/will anything for one and hence are even worth considering to upgrade or not.

Lovin' it, keep up the good work my fella!
Old 04-08-19, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

I found one shop that has a 8GB RX VEGA 64 Air Boost OC, and its $600.
I did what you said and set the DSP to 1.78x native res and have games running at 1440. Wow, what a difference! I wish I had known about that years ago. I ran Unigine Heaven with max detal and performance took a major hit, not even hitting 30fps most of the time, so I disabled AA and averaged 40 fps. With the higher resolution it still looked fine to me, even without AA.
Battlefield 1 runs at least 50pfs on Ultra, which doesnt seem too shabby to me.
I dont know about the DSR smoothing so I just left it at 33%.

TBC.
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060WF3OC 6GB
Audio: Onboard out to Logitec 6.1
PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 700w
Case: Thermaltake Dokker
Old 04-08-19, 01:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah it does make a huge difference. AMD has it too, it's just called VSR instead.

Leave the smoothness alone dude. 33% is perfect...

Vega 64 is decent, I have one myself. It's sorta between the RX 5700 and the 5700XT. Runs hotter and louder though.

Still that's nothing a pair of headphones or a headset won't fix lol.

Old 04-08-19, 07:00 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang View Post
BTW, I'm still on Windows 7, not 10. I know I have to go to Win 10 at some point.

Help, again, is much appreciated.
It's a pain in the butt getting new hardware to run on Win-7. It wants Win-10 64Bit normally. (there are ways around it, but as I said, PITB time)

Plan on changing your OS if you get new hardware. You'll be glad that you did.

If I were you, I would consider changing to Win-10 ~and~ getting that GTX-1660Ti card first. Your bottleneck isn't the CPU so much as the GPU.
If that doesn't work, you haven't wasted any money on either one of them and you may be happy with what you get.

Just sayin'

Neil

Old 04-08-19, 11:23 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I'm 99% sure you can still get a free Windows key by upgrading from 7 to 10. I have done it 3 times now, although about a year ago ago, but still far after the free upgrade expired.

Just use the media creation tool from MS and upgrade through that to do it.

Just make a copy of your window 7 disk and then when upgrading it should work out and if not you can always roll back.