Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Cases & Power

Old 22-10-18, 09:36 AM
OC3D Elite

Okay so fans would spin up at a sustained load of approximately 2 watts lower (numbers pulled out of my own a**). Now what's the practical impact of that?

Old 22-10-18, 09:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
Okay so fans would spin up at a sustained load of approximately 2 watts lower (numbers pulled out of my own a**). Now what's the practical impact of that?
Depends how anal/fussy you are I guess. Some people can hear a pin drop.

Old 22-10-18, 08:13 PM
OC3D Elite

just remove the stickers and be done with it
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 22-10-18, 10:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
just remove the stickers and be done with it
Well that would avoid the warranty, which is one of the main reasons I got this PSU in the first place. So that wouldn’t be the best thing to do, especially considering it’s a 10 year warranty on it as well.

Does anyone here might know where to get a thin plastic plate or something similar, that you could then glue or similar to the bottom of the PSU shroud, that way to cover it?.

I’ve tired searching around on eBay, Amazon etc, but didn’t have any luck in finding something suitable unfortunately.
Old 22-10-18, 10:45 PM
OC3D Elite

It's called plasticard mate, can get it as thin as 1mm, and usually has a gloss finish on one side and a matt finish on the other.
Old 22-10-18, 11:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
You do realise that 90% of modern PSUs do not spin the fan at all until they get to a certain temp, right?

As I was saying, wrap it in a thermal jacket and it will reach those temps much faster. Especially if you put something on the top as the heat rises.

So if he can live with his fan going most of the time? fair play. I've had plenty of experience with that foam and trust me it's a real heat insulator. Alienware used to use it. Note, used to. No one uses it now.
Modern PSUs don't spin up fan until they come to a certain temperature because they are efficient, not because they are cooled via metal casing. The heat dissipation over metal casing, with no direct airflow over it, that isn't in direct contact with heat producing component is negligible.

If you take VRM heat sink and cover it with plastidip yes your VRM will build up heat. Because you obstruct it's primary heat dissipation process. But PSUs do not cool themselves via casing dissipation.

I have no doubt that sound insulation foams will trap the heat.

You can pick plasticard like Tom used in RGB Ryzen Gaming Build.
Old 23-10-18, 06:21 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I guarantee you couldn't tell the difference in a blind test, just knowing about a potential inefficiency is what's bothering you. Covering the PSU's non-ventilated side doesn't matter, at all.
Old 23-10-18, 08:54 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Quote:
I guarantee you couldn't tell the difference in a blind test, just knowing about a potential inefficiency is what's bothering you. Covering the PSU's non-ventilated side doesn't matter, at all.
Anal thing is real. I can tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC. YouTube music quality just triggers me. My best friend can't, and he still doesn't get why i waste so much HDD space.
Old 23-10-18, 09:04 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
Anal thing is real. I can tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC. YouTube music quality just triggers me. My best friend can't, and he still doesn't get why i waste so much HDD space.
I doubt you can tell the difference between a V0 rip, 320kbps MP3 and a flac. Even youtube audio can be decent if it's a recently uploaded video with an okay source format - they use a reasonably high bitrate Opus if memory serves.

But yeah, classic 128 kbps mp3s are garbage. I also prefer FLAC if only for archival purposes so it can be transcoded to the "latest and greatest" codec. :P
Old 23-10-18, 09:17 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I doubt you can tell the difference between a V0 rip, 320kbps MP3 and a flac. Even youtube audio can be decent if it's a recently uploaded video with an okay source format - they use a reasonably high bitrate Opus if memory serves.

But yeah, classic 128 kbps mp3s are garbage. I also prefer FLAC if only for archival purposes so it can be transcoded to the "latest and greatest" codec. :P
Think of it as perks of the job. I did hearing test, and i do hear a bit more than what is considered normal. Add 15 years of recording and producing music on top of that, and yea, you can tune your ears to hear the difference.

On the other side i change glasses every 6-12 months. Unlike my ears, my eyes are not military grade.