Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Asus UK Customer Care Forums

Old 26-07-18, 04:28 AM

Early Win 10 Home build on Ryzen 7 2700X and Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

I'm a new ASUS customer and Portatech is doing my build for me with the Ryzen 7 2700X CPU and Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming Motherboard. My question is that I have the original build of Windows 10 Home (32/64bit version) on a USB 3 flash drive that I bought from a physical Best Buy store here in New York back in 2016. I had never used it and it just sat there until I decided to get a new build. It has the Certificate of Authenticity on the box and inside there's the Booklet and the Key and the USB 3 flash drive, the only thing is it's labeled "Puerto Rico" on the box but it also says English, so should this early build of Windows 10 Home work fine on my system and once I install it on my Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drive I can just go to the MS website and download the latest build? I called MS and they told me it should work but I wanted to make sure, or else I could just have Portatech install the latest build and pay an extra 100. But then the version I bought back in 2016 for 120 would have been wasted. MS also told me that as an alternative I could download the latest build of Win 10 Home on my laptop and save it to a newly formatted SD disk and run it on my new build. What should I do? I'm leaning towards just using my early version of Win 10 Home and updating to the latest build after it's installed and thereby saving $100 and not wasting the Win 10 Home I bought in 2016 for $120. Portatech told me that either way my build will be fully tested for stability, compatibility and temps and will be fully burned in. What should I do? Thanks!

Old 26-07-18, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Go to the microsoft home page. Get the media creation tool. Use it to dowload the latest build of win10 and create an usb install medium. Install and use the key from your retail copy. There should be no problems. The key is not bound to the original usb stick.
Old 26-07-18, 06:19 PM

Updating to new build of Win 10

Thanks! Can I also just use the version of Win 10 I have, install that, and then update to the latest build of Win 10 after I install it? I'm not sure if the old build of Win 10 I have is sufficient for the Ryzen 7 2700X or ROG Strix X470F Gaming though.

I want to do it the way you suggested, however there might be an issue:

Can I use a Win 7 Laptop to download that to? Win 7 on that laptop is not activated, but I'll just be using it to download MCT and make the bootable USB. Also, can I make a bootable SD card on it? My new build has an internal flash card reader in it.
Old 26-07-18, 07:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah, always use the latest version. The reason? some versions will not update to the latest version. Three times I have had to start again...

Your key will be recognised, and it should install the corresponding OS. What I mean is, Pro and Home are the same installer.. It is defined by your serial number.

Yes, you should be able to create it in Win 7. I don't think creating the installer is OS specific

Old 26-07-18, 07:27 PM

Thanks so I should be able to create it in the Win 7 laptop even though Win 7 on that laptop is not activated? I will just use the key from the Win 10 Home I bought from Best Buy
Old 27-07-18, 04:38 AM

Great so it doesn't matter whether the Win 7 on the laptop is activated or not? I was worried because I saw something on the MCT page about activation on the source computer- although I might have misinterpreted that. The laptop was originally a Toshiba Vista laptop which had a free upgrade to Win 7 years ago but the upgrade never worked properly so I ended up with a nongenuine version of Win 7 on it. That's the machine I'll be using to create the USB boot drive for my new build, I'll just use the key that came with the Best Buy bought version of Win 10 Home on it, so hopefully there won't be any issues.
Old 27-07-18, 01:55 PM
OC3D Elite

It shouldn't matter that the 7 laptop is not activated, no. All you are doing is running an installer that formats/builds the bootable USB stick. It's a single app, so providing you get into Windows it should work.

Old 27-07-18, 02:36 PM
OC3D Elite

There is a free way to get Win 10 Pro workstation, not sure how legit it is but you end up with a fully activated Win 10 Pro Workstation associated with your motherboard : Its a bit complicated but definitely works, if anybodys intrested let me know...
Intel Core i9 9900kK @ 5.00GHz @1.275v - Asus ROG Maximus Hero - Corsair 3000mhz CL16 LED 4x16GB SKHYNIX - Thermal Take View Glass - PM961 1TB x 2 RAID0 - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair H110i - Corsair Commander Pro - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz
Old 27-07-18, 07:30 PM

Thanks for all your help, this is the part I was referring to, not sure if it refers to the new installation on the new build or the old version of Windows on the laptop:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...65df326?auth=1

Your currently installed copy of Windows must be activated. If it is not, you will be prompted to enter a genuine product key.

Maybe that part of the instruction only refers to making an "inplace upgrade" for the computer where Win 10 is being downloaded to? In the next part they talk about making a bootable USB drive so maybe the above does not apply to what I want to do?

This part here cant be right either:

Please note: The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, the architectures will correspond too (32 bit > 32 bit, 64 bit > 64 bit):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core, Windows 10 Home will install Windows 10 Home
Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 10 Pro will install Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Education will install Windows 10 Education

Because I have Win 7 Pro 32 bit on the laptop and for the new build I will need Win 10 Home 64 bit.
Old 28-07-18, 07:32 AM
OC3D Elite

My advice would be build the pc.

Install Windows 10 using the pen drive you already have IE the "Old" version of windows 10.

Activate it

Download the windows 10 media creator software.

Run it, choose to make an iso rather than USB Pen Drive.

Download Rufus, run Rufus to create the bootable USB Windows installer using the ISO you have just created from the media creation tool.

Do a fresh install using the latest build.

When you get to the part that it ask's for the key, choose the option at the bottom for "I dont have a key"

Proceed to choose the version that your current key relates to, then when in windows you should notice that it's automatically activated, as long as it activated properly the first time if not then you will just need to activate it using your key.

Then create a backup of it using something other than the built in Windows backup creator, I use Acronis if I decide to do a backup since the built in windows one has never worked for me.