Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 09-04-18, 01:40 PM
g0ggles1994's Avatar
g0ggles1994 g0ggles1994 is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: I was hoping you could tell me.
Posts: 945
High Resolution or High Refresh Rate?

Hello everyone

I'm currently in the market to replace my old pair of Asus monitors, bog standard 24" 1080p/60Hz, 5ms. But due to budget constraints I'm kinda tight with what options I have so I just want to ask whether anyone has any experience with two different setups and which one is more beneficial moving from 1080p/60Hz, both options will be FreeSync. My options are:

1080p/144Hz
1440p/60-75Hz

Thanks

__________________
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.6GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue
ASUS RoG Strix Vega64 8GiB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-04-18, 01:55 PM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,776
Well I can only speak from my own experience, and that is ever since I switched to 1440p, I’m never going back to 1080p. Although, having that 100+ Hz refresh rate, really makes you want it. I’m currently rocking 3440p at 120Hz and I’m never going back to anything orher than this personally.

So it’s a tough choice, which maybe someone else might give you a better answer to your question.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-18, 02:07 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,895
4k @ 70hz. More than enough for me !
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-18, 02:08 PM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
4k @ 70hz. More than enough for me !
Haha yeah cause is anyone even playing beyond that?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-18, 02:22 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Haha yeah cause is anyone even playing beyond that?
Doubtful. These are all single player games I play too, so yeah more than enough for me.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-18, 02:32 PM
g0ggles1994's Avatar
g0ggles1994 g0ggles1994 is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: I was hoping you could tell me.
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Well I can only speak from my own experience, and that is ever since I switched to 1440p, I’m never going back to 1080p. Although, having that 100+ Hz refresh rate, really makes you want it. I’m currently rocking 3440p at 120Hz and I’m never going back to anything orher than this personally.

So it’s a tough choice, which maybe someone else might give you a better answer to your question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
4k @ 70hz. More than enough for me !
Oh come on, stop rubbing your 4K in!

I would consider 4k but that's a torture I wouldn't put my 480 through
__________________
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.6GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue
ASUS RoG Strix Vega64 8GiB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-04-18, 03:02 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Oh come on, stop rubbing your 4K in!

I would consider 4k but that's a torture I wouldn't put my 480 through
I don't have 4k I use DSR. When things become too much I will drop it back down to native 1440p
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-04-18, 03:49 PM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Oh come on, stop rubbing your 4K in!

I would consider 4k but that's a torture I wouldn't put my 480 through
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I don't have 4k I use DSR. When things become too much I will drop it back down to native 1440p
Same here, I’m not doing 4K, but 3440. It’s not 4K, but ultrawide 😉
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-04-18, 04:53 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,446
i tried 4k saw very little effect except a tanking of fps. I'd prefer refresh with 1440

Even now, i think i prefer a VA 144hz native refresh over my ips overclocked screen to 100hz. Some games I can even see the scanlines while OC'd.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-04-18, 05:02 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
i tried 4k saw very little effect except a tanking of fps. I'd prefer refresh with 1440

Even now, i think i prefer a VA 144hz native refresh over my ips overclocked screen to 100hz. Some games I can even see the scanlines while OC'd.
It depends on the game. Some look hardly any different, others look superb.
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.