Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Desk & Work Area

Old 03-03-18, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

DIY Lapboard Build Log

Note: wasn't sure where to put this as it's not a build log for a rig. Please correct me if i've chosen poorly

So, I wanted a nice wireless setup for TV gaming from my bed. Obvious choice is Corsair's new K63 lapboard and keyboard but at over £200 not including a mouse, this was just way too far out of budget. Plus, it's only blue LEDs..

So I picked up this bargain £35 wireless, mechanical RGB keyboard called the 'Drevo Calibur'.

Next was a trip to the local hardware store for some wood and I got to work

I added the channel at the top so I can charge the keyboard while it's on the board if need's be... And it was easier to cut that way

It fits!

I'm going for a sort of two layer design so the keyboard will will sit flush and to make sure it's not going to flex. Might end up being a bit heavy, but it doesn't matter too much as i'm not going to be taking it around with me or anything.

I'm waiting for the wood glue joining the top and bottom layer to dry, then i'll be painting it tomorrow, so stay tuned for the finished piece in the next couple of days.

~~ Lucy

Old 03-03-18, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Oh cool cant wait to see this finished
Old 03-03-18, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
Oh cool cant wait to see this finished
Thanks! All i ned to do is sand the edges, give it a lick of paint and somehow attach the mouse mat.

Any ideas on how to glue a mouse mat to wood?
Old 03-03-18, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmm do you really wana glue it ?
if you got one of them real big ones that will take up most of the right side just make some small 4-5mm edge going round the right side and top of the lapboard so the pad fits in , that way you can take mouse pad off and give it a wash if needed .
also while having it on your legs if it tips the mouse wont fly of the side

edit.. what you could also have underneath the mouse pad a strip of velco where you can attach a wrist rest if you want
, as if you sitting on the couch cos it be much lower than your desk it might be needed then if in bed and laying down you can peel it of to give you better movement when laying flat... lol dose that make sense or overthinking it
Old 03-03-18, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
Hmmm do you really wana glue it ?
if you got one of them real big ones that will take up most of the right side just make some small 4-5mm edge going round the right side and top of the lapboard so the pad fits in , that way you can take mouse pad off and give it a wash if needed .
also while having it on your legs if it tips the mouse wont fly of the side
I've already got a pad the size of the entire board. Idea was to just cut out a rectangle for the keyboard. First thought was velcro, but then it will be bumpy. But now I'm thinking of using a spray adheisive so I can just peel it off and respray it if I need to. The pad cost less than a fiver anyway
Old 03-03-18, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

ahh yer well that works like a charm then ... im bored overthinkin crap
Old 03-03-18, 05:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Lazy girl gaming in bed
Seriously though this looks promising
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 03-03-18, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Lazy girl gaming in bed
Seriously though this looks promising
I live in a shared house so only got the one room and no space for a desk! So no other option than to play in bed
Old 04-03-18, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

The wood glue I used to hold the two pieces together is now dry, so time for some sanding

I'm actually pretty pleased with how well this is going, considering my woodwork experience is absolutely zero and i'm just working this out as I go along.
The cuts in the mouse pad are just rough for now, going to neaten it up once it's all ready to assemble.

Given it a few coats of the black stuff, just waiting for it to dry as I type this. Wasn't allowed to paint inside, but luckily it's a dry day for it. Then i'll hopefully be getting it all together this evening
Old 04-03-18, 02:34 PM
OC3D Elite

That poor old workbench could do with a lick of paint while you're at it.

Tags
build log, buildlog, keyboard, lapboard