Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > NZXT Forum

Old 17-06-17, 11:26 PM

Help! Kraken GPU issue.

I recently installed the G12 and X42 onto my MSI GTX 1080 TI. I believe the installation went well. CAM is indicating temps ranging from 24c-57c when the range use to be around 35c-84c. However, I've encountered the issue that while playing games, the GPU will spike to 100% load and crash the game. My Nvidia Drivers are current and I've reinstalled multiple times. I've reformatted the PC, and reinstalled everything ultimately resulting in the same issue. Nothing is overclocked; just running at factory. GPU had no issues prior to the install of these products.

So I guess my question is if I screwed something up during the install, or if it is on the software side, what can I do to fix it?

Old 18-06-17, 12:13 AM
OC3D Elite

Try running Unigine valley or similar and see if it happens when it's running too it may just be the game
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=MSI MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 18-06-17, 12:24 AM

I've run Heavens bench and it crashes (depending on the settings) between the first 15-45 seconds. Says the engine crashed. Temp at crash in the max settings is 56c. I don't have the GPU overclocked, but during the test the MHz is 1961 (though I believe the factory speed is 1531?) Not sure if any of that helps.
Old 18-06-17, 12:33 AM
OC3D Elite

return it back to stock config and see if it still happens. Take careful note while taking it apart and see if maybe something is amiss

Intel 7700K
Aorus Z270 Gaming K7
2x8GB GSKILL Trident Z 3200MHz
Intel SSD6 256Gb x2 in Raid 0
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
EVGA GTX1080 FTW2 iCX Heat Killer IV block
Custom water Cooled Hardware Labs GTS360/240
ThermalTake Grand RGB 1000w PSU
Corsair Crystal 570X

Old 18-06-17, 12:19 PM

Update: So I didn't take it back to stock, but I did go back and put the front plate back on the card, along with new thermal pads. The two games I had been running things on, were WoW and For Honor, and then the Heavens Benchmark.

Prior to adding back the plate and changing the pads, WoW (with recommended Geforce Experience settings) would run constantly near 98-98% GPU usage, hitting 100% and causing the monitor to lose signal for a moment, before crashing out within about 30 seconds of being in the game. With adding back the front plate and changing the pads, it still runs heavy on GPU usage, but hasn't crashed out, though it does freeze up a tad if it spikes to the 100%. I turned Vsync on and it runs at 35-40% usage, and seems fine.

For Honor prior to the changes, would run just fine at around 40% usage and 40ish c temp, before spiking at 100% usage and crashing the game. So far, after adding the front plate and the new thermal pads, I haven't had any spikes and it seems to be fine.

Heavens Benchmark seems to run perfectly until scene 13, where it has some purple star looking things flash up before crashing the engine. Prior to adding the front plate and thermal pads it was making it to about scene 4 before crashing out.
Old 18-06-17, 12:53 PM

Update Two: So I was reading around the forums about benchmarks crashing, and one of the people suggested turning down the GPU clockspeed, as perhaps it is the vram that is over heating. I turned it down, and got further in the Heavens Benchmark than I previously had (nearly completing it) before it crashed out. While the GPU temps never exceeded 52, would it be possible the vram is getting too hot at load and is causing the crashes? Perhaps my old thermal pads are ?
Old 18-06-17, 01:13 PM
OC3D Elite

I would just put it back to stock (if you can) and send it back.

You may have over tightened the AIO onto the core. I have seen this quite a lot. If that's the case then you have damaged it and you need to hope that the company you bought it from allows cooler removal or you're a bit screwed.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Did you trash any paper covers on the screws ETC? AFAIK MSI are OK with cooler removal.

Old 18-06-17, 02:45 PM

The card is MSI, and I have everything to take it back to stock; though the sicker on one of the screws was removed (torn) as it wouldn't come off whole. I bought the PC from Amazon rather than the card as an individual piece, along with a replacement warranty. Perhaps they would take it with less scrutiny than MSI itself. :/
Old 18-06-17, 02:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Waffles View Post
The card is MSI, and I have everything to take it back to stock; though the sicker on one of the screws was removed (torn) as it wouldn't come off whole. I bought the PC from Amazon rather than the card as an individual piece, along with a replacement warranty. Perhaps they would take it with less scrutiny than MSI itself. :/
Yeah they will though you will likely have to return the entire PC.

Old 18-06-17, 02:59 PM

If it was over tightened on the core, would it still be rendering stuff and just crashing? I guess I had assumed my install was okay because it was doing that.