Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Overclocking

Old 26-04-13, 03:08 AM

couldn't work out the vdroop offset on my board i have an msi board as well but there displayed in percentages .

( +12.5 - 100 % ) so im presuming 12.5 is level 0 maybe someone can clarify .

Old 27-04-13, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know about ASRock mobos? My bios is quite a bit different

i5 3570k · 16GB DDR3 · GTX670 · Corsair CX750M · Corsair H100i · Xonar DG
Old 28-04-13, 09:10 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber5 View Post
yeah i have herd of the silicone lottery just making sure that i was ok with the volts im using but looking into it i shold be ok with the vcore im using it seems like i always get the cpus that needs loads of vcore for high oc's
Yea that's the sad story for most of us, I always get middle of the road chips for my personal rigs. It's usually more than enough though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSkiies View Post
Excellent post Earlier today i was just seeing how low my cpu would run voltage wise and something weird happened i basically lost internet connection and my windows aero theme aswell as programs not responding . Granted i didn't put the voltage that low , could running the voltage low or even possibly general overclocking casue something like this ?

Thanks .
Yea that sounds like a classic case of undervolting the clock. Add more volts and it will go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber5 View Post
it might be possible i know sometimes when im running stability tests my pc can act strange
but also i have seen that i can be stable with a certain voltage and get x amount of gflops and im stable
but if i add a little more v-core i can get more performance

ie i have better performance in Intel burn test and cine bench at 4.5ghz than someone with the same cpu at 5.0ghz
strange
Yea, again, if the CPU is running with fractionally too few volts then the processor might hang on cycles, even if it recovers to pass the test. That would affect performance. More volts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSkiies View Post
couldn't work out the vdroop offset on my board i have an msi board as well but there displayed in percentages .

( +12.5 - 100 % ) so im presuming 12.5 is level 0 maybe someone can clarify .
100% = level 0 in the old BIOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodStampz View Post
Anyone know about ASRock mobos? My bios is quite a bit different
All motherboards will be based on a similar set of functions so you should just be able to Google the names and figure it out I still haven't done an ASrock yet but I hear decent things about them.

M&P

OC3D Overclockers Club Member #006 (Alec Trevelyan was always harder than Bond anyway)
Old 29-04-13, 01:37 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master&Puppet View Post

7. CPU features is where we adjust the performance of our machine. If I remember correctly with out Enhanced Turbo enabled the thing we need to alter doesn't appear. Another screenshot:
God dammit I looked bloody everywhere for that !!

I managed to clock up my FSB to 106 and get it stable but bugger me they do a good job of hiding the turbo cycle overclock !!!!!

My Xeon is basically a I5 2400 with added features in disguise. I found this article yesterday...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...idge-review/14

Which shows them clocking it to 3.99ghz from the stock 3.3 by using the FSB and the 4 cycle turbo multiplier.

Argh ! I can't wait to get my board back now. Thanks for showing me where that is dude I looked bloody everywhere !!!

Quick note to those who didn't know..

All of the non K series CPUs with Turbo (note you MUST have Turbo) can still be overclocked. In fact, Intel even tell you this ! So many people thought that the non K were completely locked down but they are not.

Basically Intel left some room for overclocking. Basically they give you 4 cycles (or 4x multi) over your regular Turbo overclock to use for overclocking. That, combined with a small BCLCK increase allows you to get quite a substantial overclock out of a 'locked' CPU.

I will be doing a guide on this using my G45 once it's been RMAd.

BTW.. M&P do you mind if I use some of your pics in a guide for overclocking non K cpus?
Old 22-05-13, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks again for the post, Mr. M & P. I am having pretty good success with the both methods. I did notice that on my board MSI GD65. I have to set the core ratio on the first overclocking screen in bios. If I leave that to auto, with the xmp profile it will only go up to 38. So I have set the ratio limit under cpu features to 43 also, but I 'm not sure what affect this will have as I've already set the core ratio.
Old 16-06-13, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Greetings, Mr. M&P. Thanks for the great info.I have been fooling around with your recommendations and have had success. I have noticed a few differences in settings. On my board MSI GD65 the droop control is set in %. So at 100%, with your settings set forth in the turbo section, the volts stays at about 1.15-1.16 under stress test. Also not that I have to set the multiplier under group 1.(adjust cpu ratio). If I leave this on auto even after setting the core limit at group 8. to 44, under stress test, it will only go up to 38. So I am now testing v-droop at 50%, where my volts are at about 1.13-1.12. Note that I 'm using Aida 64. After just an hour , I can see the temps are lower compared to the previous settings by about 8-10 deg. I'll let it go for about 8 hrs. to see whats goiing on. Thanks!

Tags
3570k, ivy bridge, overclocking