Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > MSI UK Forum

Old 31-01-19, 10:47 AM

M.2 Shield Frozr thermal pads plastic protection

Hey guys!

I'm trying to figure out if there's plastic covers that should be removed from the base and top cover of the Shield Frozr on the MEG Z390 ACE motherboard?

It both looks and feels like there's plastic on top of the thermal pads but can't manage to peel it off. You can even see some reflections looking at the thermal pad on the base plate which I don't think would be there unless there's some plastic on there.

This is what it looks like - > https://photos.app.goo.gl/7CUVaQtFxemJnb3QA

Old 31-01-19, 11:31 AM
News Guru

There probably is a thin plastic layer to prevent them from getting dusty/dirty when the motherboard is in transit.
Old 31-01-19, 12:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Looks like there is one. As WYP mentioned.
Old 31-01-19, 12:53 PM

I really have to wonder how MSI managed to make such a simple thing so hard and confusing...

I guess I could try using a pair of tweezers to see if I can get hold a that very thin plastic layer and peel it off.

Here's another picture where I try to show all of the equation in one single picture -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/haZmBex2193tKhSX9

When you first get the motherboard and open up the Shield Frozr, there's clearly visible plastic protection covering the thermal pad found on the inside of the removable top of the Shield Frozr. In the picture, I've peeled off just a bit of it to show you what it looks like.

Then there's a loose thermal pad found between the top and base with the same blueish tinted plastic cover on both sides of it.

And finally there's the base of the Shield Frozr. This one doesn't have the blueish plastic cover which I guess makes sense since it's already protected by the loose thermal pad laying on top of it which already has the protective plastic on both sides as described above.

So...looking at the picture, the main question is if there's still something else that should be peeled off from the top and base. As mentioned, from the look of it (and how it feels) it does seem to be a very thin plastic cover.

At the same time, I find it strange why MSI wouldn't have made that protective plastic cover a bit bigger than the thermal pad itself giving you something to grip if it indeed is something you should peel off. In the same way they did with the blueish plastic covers on the top and the loose thermal pad.

I really think MSI should make a YouTube video of this!
Old 31-01-19, 01:56 PM

Here's another picture where I show with two red arrows the exact areas where I wonder if there's anything that should be peeled off.

Old 31-01-19, 02:04 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Only thing that should be peeled off is on the adhesive side. The metal side won't have anything on it. That's how my Asus board was. Only one thing to peel off
Old 31-01-19, 02:16 PM

Not sure I fully understand what you mean by that.

Looking at the picture again, when I peel off the blue plastic cover from the loose thermal pad, it's sticky underneath in the way you would expect a thermal pad to be.

When peeling off the blue plastic cover from the top though, what is revealed under that isn't sticky but rather glossy which is why I think there's another layer of protective plastic.

Same thing with the base where you also in this picture can see some reflections that wouldn't be there unless the surface was glossy. Which in turn wouldn't be the case unless there was a plastic layer over the actual thermal pad.

I guess I will just have to use one of the other M.2 slots until I know for sure. Because I don't think it would be a wise idea to install my SSD if there's still plastic that should have been removed since that would probably make the SSD boil rather than keeping it cool with plastic not allowing it to get rid of any of the heat.
Old 31-01-19, 02:22 PM
OC3D Elite

You have to peel both sides dude.Both sides of that blue stuff has a sheet of clear plastic acetate over it to protect it. For it to work it needs peeling. Then it becomes squishy and hard to handle (it's fiddly AF) then you can apply it.

Old 31-01-19, 02:48 PM

The blue stuff seen in the picture is the plastic film that is very easy to peel off. The actual thermal pads are grey.

Again referring to the picture, the red arrows show the surfaces where I think there's still plastic but even using a pair of tweezers I can't separate any plastic film from the pads no matter how I try to get hold of something.

It's like one side of the thermal pads that are pre-mounted to the top and base has a plastic and glossy texture while the other side of the pad is sticky.

Compared to the thermal pad that is loose with blue protective film on both sides, both sides are also sticky and removing the blue plastic on both sides makes the pad very flimsy as you suggest.

So looks like the pre-mounted thermal pads are not of the same kind as the loose one.

I can't recall I ever spent this much time on such as stupid thing before when building a new system...sigh.

And haven't found one single video on YouTube showing the process. Wonder why...maybe I'm not the only one wondering how this is supposed to work. Asked about the same issue over in MSI's own forum for gaming motherboards but so far zero replies...
Old 31-01-19, 04:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Ah I see. Yeah blue and or grey are common. They use the same stuff on water blocks