Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #31  
Old 21-06-17, 03:15 AM
Chrazey's Avatar
Chrazey Chrazey is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 3,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I understand that. Intel are a soulless company to me while as you say AMD are much more warm and hands on. Intel could completely let go of its desktop and HEDT range of CPU's and still earn enough to be one of the biggest silicon manufacturers on the planet. If AMD lost in their respective segments, they'd go under or at least would have to let go of hundreds of staff members and shut factories down overseas forcing even more labor cutbacks. That puts AMD in the position of a desperate but competent worker. They are desperate to succeed but they're capable of it. That's great for us consumers, but a real challenge for them to pull off consistently.

I don't know how that make AMD act proudly and egotistically by blindly ignoring technology—which is what you are suggesting since that is what ego and pride causes a person to become; blind—that they already use in other components. It just doesn't make sense. You say all that about Intel making scumbag moves and that might be true, but it doesn't explain the belief that AMD are an egotistical cooperation and would rather adhere to their petty pride than make millions of dollars. All the heads can't all share the same callous and reckless view of pride.

As for Linus, I didn't know about that, but it doesn't make sense. I don't know why they'd do it. Were they being paid by Intel to dissuade users from buying AMD components? That blatantly goes against all logic and is reckless and immoral. It seems very conspiracy theory-esque to be honest, or tinfoil hat-wearing BS. But hey, that's just me. Maybe I should look it up to see the evidence myself because I don't blindly trust you just like I don't blindly trust Tom or Linus.
Really good post, thumbs up! ... Especially regarding that of Linus, it just feels off the whole thing really.

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 21-06-17, 10:02 AM
The_Governour's Avatar
The_Governour The_Governour is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 771
I was on 2 x 780s in SLI and a Fury X.

When the 10xx series was launched and its prices were so high then I said to my self that I would never buy the 1080 for that kind of cash.

I was ON & IN the Vega Hype Train. I was waiting for VEGA as I did not WANT to give my money to Nvidia.

In the end I paid 900€ for the Zotac Amp Extreme 1080 ti (I specificaly wanted the amp extreme for my build).

I WANTED to wait for VEGA but got tired of waiting SO long and the money was burning a hole in my wallet.

Too little too late AMD. SRY.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 21-06-17, 10:30 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
As for Linus, I didn't know about that, but it doesn't make sense. I don't know why they'd do it. Were they being paid by Intel to dissuade users from buying AMD components? That blatantly goes against all logic and is reckless and immoral. It seems very conspiracy theory-esque to be honest, or tinfoil hat-wearing BS. But hey, that's just me. Maybe I should look it up to see the evidence myself because I don't blindly trust you just like I don't blindly trust Tom or Linus.
Fair enough. Evidence.



It seems Linus may have been contacted by some lawyers, because if you click on the link in that guy's sig it goes here -

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ponse+%2Bsquad

Sorry, there is a problem
We could not locate the item you are trying to view.
Error code: 2F173/1


That link used to take you to Linus's post detailing how it works. Basically forum members were enticed with free products access to engineering samples etc etc.

Obviously some one realised that it sorta like broke loads of laws and it wasn't around for long.

What it equated to was a load of rabid Intel fanboys who would go around pestering people not to buy AMD products. Oddly enough their answers were usually set as "best answers" too.

Oh and if you hunt that user down and look at his sig it now states this -

Ex Intel Response Squad Member
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 21-06-17, 04:58 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Fair enough. Evidence.



It seems Linus may have been contacted by some lawyers, because if you click on the link in that guy's sig it goes here -

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ponse+%2Bsquad

Sorry, there is a problem
We could not locate the item you are trying to view.
Error code: 2F173/1


That link used to take you to Linus's post detailing how it works. Basically forum members were enticed with free products access to engineering samples etc etc.

Obviously some one realised that it sorta like broke loads of laws and it wasn't around for long.

What it equated to was a load of rabid Intel fanboys who would go around pestering people not to buy AMD products. Oddly enough their answers were usually set as "best answers" too.

Oh and if you hunt that user down and look at his sig it now states this -

Ex Intel Response Squad Member
Yeah, I found this stuff after I dug around myself. I don't see the correlation fully though. The whole "Ex Intel Response Squad Member" tagline suggests too many possibilities. I read one user who posted around 2013 on OC3D. His signature said Intel Response Squad Member and then something in the vein of "My opinions are my own and not representative of Intel" or something like that. Again, that brings up more questions.

I found the link that doesn't work, but I had no idea what the original page read. If you say it said that forum members were given engineering samples for their 'words of wisdom'—because let's be honest in 2013 Intel were the only ones producing a gaming CPU worth their salt—then that's obviously wrong. But why then say "Ex Intel Response Squad" in your signature? Wouldn't that be something you'd be ashamed of since it was shut down for being illegal?
__________________
MSI Z97 Gaming 7 ⁞⁞ 4670K 4.5Ghz ⁞⁞ Nepton 240M ⁞⁞ ASUS Fury Strix ⁞⁞ Fury 16GB ⁞⁞ Define R4 ⁞⁞ AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung EVO 120 & 500GB ⁞⁞ WD 1TB & 3TB
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX ⁞⁞ Fidelio X2
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 21-06-17, 06:59 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Yeah, I found this stuff after I dug around myself. I don't see the correlation fully though. The whole "Ex Intel Response Squad Member" tagline suggests too many possibilities. I read one user who posted around 2013 on OC3D. His signature said Intel Response Squad Member and then something in the vein of "My opinions are my own and not representative of Intel" or something like that. Again, that brings up more questions.

I found the link that doesn't work, but I had no idea what the original page read. If you say it said that forum members were given engineering samples for their 'words of wisdom'—because let's be honest in 2013 Intel were the only ones producing a gaming CPU worth their salt—then that's obviously wrong. But why then say "Ex Intel Response Squad" in your signature? Wouldn't that be something you'd be ashamed of since it was shut down for being illegal?
I suppose it all depends on the level of self importance some people have on the internet really.

If it wasn't doing anything wrong then where did it go?

You don't have to believe me, but I was there when it started and then vanished. Maybe Intel felt they were so high they could take the pee a little?
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 21-06-17, 08:12 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I suppose it all depends on the level of self importance some people have on the internet really.

If it wasn't doing anything wrong then where did it go?

You don't have to believe me, but I was there when it started and then vanished. Maybe Intel felt they were so high they could take the pee a little?
I guess I'm just an optimistic (read: naive) kind of guy and unless I see categorical evidence of something bad, I don't believe it. It's something I'll chalk up to an unknown abnormality. Either way I don't use Linus' forums or his website and only occasionally watch his videos. Usually his thumbnails completely ruin my enthusiasm. I hate gaudy in-your-face crap like that.
__________________
MSI Z97 Gaming 7 ⁞⁞ 4670K 4.5Ghz ⁞⁞ Nepton 240M ⁞⁞ ASUS Fury Strix ⁞⁞ Fury 16GB ⁞⁞ Define R4 ⁞⁞ AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung EVO 120 & 500GB ⁞⁞ WD 1TB & 3TB
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX ⁞⁞ Fidelio X2
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 21-06-17, 08:43 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I guess I'm just an optimistic (read: naive) kind of guy and unless I see categorical evidence of something bad, I don't believe it. It's something I'll chalk up to an unknown abnormality. Either way I don't use Linus' forums or his website and only occasionally watch his videos. Usually his thumbnails completely ruin my enthusiasm. I hate gaudy in-your-face crap like that.
Going back to the whole "the views I express are my own etc" - that was obviously how Intel thought they could get away with it. I mean let's face it on forums like that you already have mindless droids going around telling every one to buy Intel any way.

However, tis what it is. I'm not a liar. I would imagine AMD got their lawyers in on it and closed it down pretty quickly. I mean end of the day it really is paying some one indirectly to go around rubbishing your competitor.

I tell you what else is odd. Try finding more than a tiny handful of posts. The mods must have been busy when AMD brought down the hammer. Back then I was very active on LTT. Made a few good mates who I would Skype. Problem is like many they got bored of PCs and moved on. I think a lot of people do that (wanders off topic). Build their PC, ride the wave (posting logs and etc) and then get bored of it.

Linus is about one thing and one thing only though, money. He pretty much covers about every aspect he can to cover as much as he can to bring in the cash. That mofo has a bloody empire. And people do strange things when they get to that kind of status.

Which is why I am here. Oh, and one other PC forum. And that's it for me these days.
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 24-06-17, 12:36 PM
BigDaddyKong's Avatar
BigDaddyKong BigDaddyKong is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 902



That is a pretty good watch, and I don't think he is far off from the truth.
__________________
AMD R7 1800X-Asus Crosshair VI Hero-16GB GSkill 3200mhz-Corsair HX1000-XSPC Raystorm Copper Edition-Dual D5 Pumps-Corsair Force 3 SSD-Sapphire Fury X2-Corsair 900D-Windows 10 Pro-Dell U3011-Dell 2007FP
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 24-06-17, 05:47 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKong View Post



That is a pretty good watch, and I don't think he is far off from the truth.
Most of us here already theorised Navi's 'scaleability' that was quoted in AMD's roadmap would relate to the Infinity Fabric from Ryzen. He's used some pretty mundane and questionable arguments, even for me. For one thing, as has been said here the Steam survey is by no means a final tally of all systems.

Also:

Quote:
GOG- “Polaris is coming, Nvidia is screwed!” “Polaris might have been only mid range but VEGA is going to be where it’s at” “Okay maybe VEGA is going to use too much power and get here a little late but NAVI will surely be the generation that beats Nvidia!”
It's true. The guy has been peddling AMD theories for ages and he's regularly been off the mark. AdoredTV has been wrong as well, but he's taken as AMD gospel preacher.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Going back to the whole "the views I express are my own etc" - that was obviously how Intel thought they could get away with it. I mean let's face it on forums like that you already have mindless droids going around telling every one to buy Intel any way.

However, tis what it is. I'm not a liar. I would imagine AMD got their lawyers in on it and closed it down pretty quickly. I mean end of the day it really is paying some one indirectly to go around rubbishing your competitor.

I tell you what else is odd. Try finding more than a tiny handful of posts. The mods must have been busy when AMD brought down the hammer. Back then I was very active on LTT. Made a few good mates who I would Skype. Problem is like many they got bored of PCs and moved on. I think a lot of people do that (wanders off topic). Build their PC, ride the wave (posting logs and etc) and then get bored of it.

Linus is about one thing and one thing only though, money. He pretty much covers about every aspect he can to cover as much as he can to bring in the cash. That mofo has a bloody empire. And people do strange things when they get to that kind of status.

Which is why I am here. Oh, and one other PC forum. And that's it for me these days.
But is it mindless to say that the 4670K will perform better than an FX 8370? Maybe it's parroted a little too frequently and without context, but it's not strictly speaking bad advice.

It is true that money changes people, but to what extent is rarely ever fully known. I would never call you a liar, but that doesn't mean you're right all the time.
__________________
MSI Z97 Gaming 7 ⁞⁞ 4670K 4.5Ghz ⁞⁞ Nepton 240M ⁞⁞ ASUS Fury Strix ⁞⁞ Fury 16GB ⁞⁞ Define R4 ⁞⁞ AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung EVO 120 & 500GB ⁞⁞ WD 1TB & 3TB
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX ⁞⁞ Fidelio X2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 03:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.