Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 15-06-19, 11:39 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,695
What does AMD's Radeon RX 5700 series Base, Boost and Gaming clocks mean?

What's a gaming clock?



Read more about AMD's Radeon Navi base, boost and game clock speeds.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17-06-19, 07:00 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
Old N Gold
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,713
I'm excited to see if these are decent overclockers or if they're already maxed out to stay competitive like almost every other card AMD has released in the last few years.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17-06-19, 07:26 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,365
the values look quite rounded off. Perhaps it means there is headroom. With the exception of the game clock.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17-06-19, 08:22 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
the values look quite rounded off. Perhaps it means there is headroom. With the exception of the game clock.
I'm curious what undervolting and power slider adjustments will do to that game clock. The base RX 5700 looks like an overclocking beast.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18-06-19, 01:30 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is online now
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,121
It would depend on the binning I suppose for the base RX5700.
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-06-19, 07:50 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
I'm curious what undervolting and power slider adjustments will do to that game clock. The base RX 5700 looks like an overclocking beast.
Certainly does. My only concern right now is the cooler in use. I hope AMD learned from their Fury generation that cooling has to take a better priority than it has in the past.

Their blocks always looked like they didn't exhaust the air well enough. The fan itself looked fine but I do wonder how the fins will be underneath as air is forced through.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-06-19, 08:13 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Certainly does. My only concern right now is the cooler in use. I hope AMD learned from their Fury generation that cooling has to take a better priority than it has in the past.

Their blocks always looked like they didn't exhaust the air well enough. The fan itself looked fine but I do wonder how the fins will be underneath as air is forced through.
Hard to know until people have the coolers in hand. 7nm and Navi's increased power efficiency will help, but on the other hand the GPU die here is packing better than Vega 64 performance in less than half the area IIRC.

Navi takes a lot of steps in the right direction, but ultimately what isn't great about their stock coolers will be addressed by their AIB partners.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18-06-19, 08:22 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Hard to know until people have the coolers in hand. 7nm and Navi's increased power efficiency will help, but on the other hand the GPU die here is packing better than Vega 64 performance in less than half the area IIRC.

Navi takes a lot of steps in the right direction, but ultimately what isn't great about their stock coolers will be addressed by their AIB partners.
Do we have confirmation that AIB boards are allowed? again, reference to Fury gen where they were not permitted meaning a plethora of disappointment.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18-06-19, 08:49 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Do we have confirmation that AIB boards are allowed? again, reference to Fury gen where they were not permitted meaning a plethora of disappointment.
AMD would be stupid to not let their mainstream card become available to AIBs. This is a Mainstream play. An RX 570/80 series replacement.

As far as the Fury Gen goes, there were custom versions of the Fury Non-X. I do get what you mean though.

With Navi having more mass-market appeal, it is very likely that they will receive a lot of interest from AIBs.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18-06-19, 09:34 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
AMD would be stupid to not let their mainstream card become available to AIBs. This is a Mainstream play. An RX 570/80 series replacement.

As far as the Fury Gen goes, there were custom versions of the Fury Non-X. I do get what you mean though.

With Navi having more mass-market appeal, it is very likely that they will receive a lot of interest from AIBs.
There were custom versions? perhaps I got the wrong gen of GPU then. I could swear one offering from AMD, prohibited AIB coolers and such. At least you get my point though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 03:34 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.