Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 15-06-19, 11:39 AM
News Guru

What does AMD's Radeon RX 5700 series Base, Boost and Gaming clocks mean?

What's a gaming clock?

Read more about AMD's Radeon Navi base, boost and game clock speeds.

Old 17-06-19, 07:00 PM
Old N Gold

I'm excited to see if these are decent overclockers or if they're already maxed out to stay competitive like almost every other card AMD has released in the last few years.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 17-06-19, 07:26 PM
OC3D Elite

the values look quite rounded off. Perhaps it means there is headroom. With the exception of the game clock.
Old 17-06-19, 08:22 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
the values look quite rounded off. Perhaps it means there is headroom. With the exception of the game clock.
I'm curious what undervolting and power slider adjustments will do to that game clock. The base RX 5700 looks like an overclocking beast.
Old 18-06-19, 01:30 AM
AMD Enthusiast

It would depend on the binning I suppose for the base RX5700.
Old 18-06-19, 07:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
I'm curious what undervolting and power slider adjustments will do to that game clock. The base RX 5700 looks like an overclocking beast.
Certainly does. My only concern right now is the cooler in use. I hope AMD learned from their Fury generation that cooling has to take a better priority than it has in the past.

Their blocks always looked like they didn't exhaust the air well enough. The fan itself looked fine but I do wonder how the fins will be underneath as air is forced through.
Old 18-06-19, 08:13 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Certainly does. My only concern right now is the cooler in use. I hope AMD learned from their Fury generation that cooling has to take a better priority than it has in the past.

Their blocks always looked like they didn't exhaust the air well enough. The fan itself looked fine but I do wonder how the fins will be underneath as air is forced through.
Hard to know until people have the coolers in hand. 7nm and Navi's increased power efficiency will help, but on the other hand the GPU die here is packing better than Vega 64 performance in less than half the area IIRC.

Navi takes a lot of steps in the right direction, but ultimately what isn't great about their stock coolers will be addressed by their AIB partners.
Old 18-06-19, 08:22 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Hard to know until people have the coolers in hand. 7nm and Navi's increased power efficiency will help, but on the other hand the GPU die here is packing better than Vega 64 performance in less than half the area IIRC.

Navi takes a lot of steps in the right direction, but ultimately what isn't great about their stock coolers will be addressed by their AIB partners.
Do we have confirmation that AIB boards are allowed? again, reference to Fury gen where they were not permitted meaning a plethora of disappointment.
Old 18-06-19, 08:49 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Do we have confirmation that AIB boards are allowed? again, reference to Fury gen where they were not permitted meaning a plethora of disappointment.
AMD would be stupid to not let their mainstream card become available to AIBs. This is a Mainstream play. An RX 570/80 series replacement.

As far as the Fury Gen goes, there were custom versions of the Fury Non-X. I do get what you mean though.

With Navi having more mass-market appeal, it is very likely that they will receive a lot of interest from AIBs.
Old 18-06-19, 09:34 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
AMD would be stupid to not let their mainstream card become available to AIBs. This is a Mainstream play. An RX 570/80 series replacement.

As far as the Fury Gen goes, there were custom versions of the Fury Non-X. I do get what you mean though.

With Navi having more mass-market appeal, it is very likely that they will receive a lot of interest from AIBs.
There were custom versions? perhaps I got the wrong gen of GPU then. I could swear one offering from AMD, prohibited AIB coolers and such. At least you get my point though.