Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 18-11-19, 06:16 PM
News Guru

Early Stadia reviews highlight game streaming's latency hit

Are you prepared for the extra input lag?

Read more about Google's Stadia input lag.
Old 18-11-19, 08:10 PM
AMD Enthusiast

That's pretty awful for something so hyped up. They need to cut this more than in half at minimum
Old 18-11-19, 08:28 PM
OC3D Elite

It's not so much the lag that screws it for me. It's the fact that it needs a 200mb connection which is mostly not even available in the UK for 4k which apparently isn't even 4k and gets hammered in visual quality by a XB1X at 4k.

How well will it fare against the two new consoles? Not very well I'd guess.

IDK.. the price seems OK but I just can't see it taking off. Those who have a 200mb connection usually have the funds for a decent console or PC. So it's only really going to appeal to casual gamers.

Old 18-11-19, 09:13 PM
OC3D Elite

I'd think even for casual gamers Xcloud + Gamepass would be a better option over stadia
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: Gigabyte white 2070
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 18-11-19, 09:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Didnt they claim less lag than consoles? what happened there.
Old 18-11-19, 10:09 PM
OC3D Elite

It will still be bought by millions who don't even know what latency is.
Old 19-11-19, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
It will still be bought by millions who don't even know what latency is.
This is some future thing. I really don't see why google is doing this now... Game streaming is a technology about 4-5 years away. When we have 5G actually implemented and you don't need expensive, high speed fiber optic connections for a solid 1ms latency connection to the internet, then something like this will be worth it, especially when you're out and just want to chill in the backseat for example. For now tho, it's really just something for the really lazy ones that don't want to mess with cables behind their TV.

I will be testing it when my ISP installs my fiber connection but I do not have high hopes, and to be honest, I don't find pricing to be good enough to justify.
Old 19-11-19, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meuvoy View Post
When we have 5G actually implemented and you don't need expensive, high speed fiber optic connections

These words won't ever happen. 5G will be nice sure but it be expensive as all get out, over-hyped (much like it currently is), and probably not nearly as stable as fiber is. 5G will likely launch, fall on its face for 5 years, then get better as ISP won't be able to leave it alone and will have to finally fix their infrastructure.

Atleast we can hope haha.

Also don't forget about the data caps you'll hit really fast and that will cause that awesome 5G speed to kill itself over and over again and become nigh unusable if you are in a third world internet country like myself in the US! YAY!
Old 19-11-19, 02:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdayzzz View Post
These words won't ever happen. 5G will be nice sure but it be expensive as all get out, over-hyped (much like it currently is), and probably not nearly as stable as fiber is. 5G will likely launch, fall on its face for 5 years, then get better as ISP won't be able to leave it alone and will have to finally fix their infrastructure.

Atleast we can hope haha.

Also don't forget about the data caps you'll hit really fast and that will cause that awesome 5G speed to kill itself over and over again and become nigh unusable if you are in a third world internet country like myself in the US! YAY!
5G has already launched, already standard on the top tier data plan of many mobile suppliers here, Ookla did an in detail review of real world 5G in the UK yesterday and found typical FTTC tier latency and download speeds across the board. Unlimited data 5G contracts are about £30, which is roughly the same as our home broadband costs at 50mbps.
https://www.speedtest.net/insights/b...-kingdom-2019/

[Speeds are ofc slower than countries that haven't had a full scale roll out and a few months of mass availability but at least it gives us a good early idea of somewhat loaded 5G networks]

But still, fibre should and likely will be cheaper, we're just getting slightly shafted in the West in that regard.
Old 18-11-19, 10:51 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Didnt they claim less lag than consoles? what happened there.
To add to hilarity of this highly predictable fiasco, they called it "negative latency".