Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Rig Gallery

Old 19-08-13, 12:55 AM

My Video Editing/Gaming Rig.

As a new member of this forum I figured I should share my current system with you guys.

I am a video editor, and I also like to game a bit. Not too long ago I decided to build an editing/light gaming rig. So far it's been great, capable of a 4.4GHz overclock but I've kept it at 4.2 so that I can run my CPU fan at it's lowest speed to keep down on noise. This rig is about 8 months old I would say. It was originally built in a corsair 400r, but after buying my Rosewill RK9000BRI I felt a black/white case with a bit of character would be a nice match.

Here are my specs:

i7 3770k @ 4.2GHz
16gb GeIL Black Dragon @ 1600MHz
Zotac GTX 660 (non ti)
Asrock z77 Extreme 4
Corsair C70 Artic White Case
OCZ Modxstream 600w
Kingston HyperX 240gb SSD
Many 1/2tb HDD's that get switch out periodically.

I use this as my daily work and gaming computer. It's powerful enough to chew threw many premiere/AE CS6 projects, as well as my photography and graphic design work. I also do a bit of gaming with it, and the GTX 660 does pretty well for the price. I use two 23" IPS displays, one is a dell IPS 2340M and the other is an LG IPS235V.

Here are some snapshots of the rig. You may notice that I have added a few extensions and other things along the way. I will eventually be getting some clips for the extensions to keep them looking nice as they tend to revert back to there messy state a few minutes after I clean them up.

And here's a little video I made also

I made my own LED strips with an on/off button and molex power connector for about $15, and The front fans are sickleflow 120mm downvolted to 7v so they aren't so loud.

My next planned purchase for this build will be a Dark Rock Pro 2 and some quality fans to replace the sickeflows and normal case fans for a much quieter overall system as well as some more overclocking headroom without the added noise.

Overall I wish I would've spent a little more up front and got the parts I wanted instead of setting a budget for myself. Since then I have applied this to a lot of purchases computer related or not and it's worked out much better than saving a few bucks going with something I sort of like.

i7 3770k @ 4.2GHz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | Enermax ETS-T40TB | GeIL Black Dragon 2x8gb @ 1600 | Zotac GTX 660 | Kingston HyperX 240gb SSD | Corsair C70 Artic White | Too many internal/external HDD's to list
Old 19-08-13, 01:03 AM
OC3D Elite

Very clean build there matey. Welcome to the forums also...
Intel Core i9 7980xe @ 4.5GHz @1.18v - MSI MEG X299 - NoName 2666mhz @ CL19 3200mhz - Thermal Take View Glass - PM961 1TB x2 - Aorous Extreme RTX 2080 Ti - 2 x 360 Rad + D5 Pump - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz
Old 19-08-13, 01:07 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Nice rig! I would be tempted to put an h100i or a small custom loop for the cpu, more overclocking and less noise. Also modding that window to take out the fan grills would also be a good way to improve aesthetics.

Anyway welcome to OC3D!
Old 19-08-13, 07:55 AM
OC3D Crew

Nice clean build
Welcome to OC3D.
I like the little video.
Main Rig-Intel i7 2600K @4.4Ghz-Gigabyte P67 UD7-Asus 6950 Direct cu11-16gig Mushkin 2133mhz Redline Ridgeback-Corsair AX860i-Corsair Obsidian 800D-Bitfenix/Noiseblocker Fans-Custom CPU water cooling loop.
Folding Rig- AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition-Corsair H100i-Asus Crosshair-EVGA GTX560Ti 448 core Classified-8gig Crucial Ballistix Tracer-Corsair AX850-Coolermaster Cosmos S-Corsair case fans.

Old 19-08-13, 08:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to The Orange One
Nice rig there mate!

Broadband, Y U So Slow?
Old 20-08-13, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLN View Post
Very clean build there matey. Welcome to the forums also...
Thanks! I think adding some clips to the extensions will make it even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Nice rig! I would be tempted to put an h100i or a small custom loop for the cpu, more overclocking and less noise. Also modding that window to take out the fan grills would also be a good way to improve aesthetics.

Anyway welcome to OC3D!
I've thought about doing my own custom loop many times, but I feel like I should invest a bit more in a better mobo before I do something like that. The extreme 4 has been a great board to me, but it's VRM quality has kept me from really pushing the system. I will most likely go for a large closed loop setup, or a large double column cooler. I've also been thinking about replacing the GTX 660, but I've just got to keep telling myself it's good enough for now

The window is also on my to-do list actually. I wish they would offer a version without that or at least a factory made replacement. I have no worries about making my own window, but I know some people would rather buy one from corsair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mArTyN View Post
Nice clean build
Welcome to OC3D.
I like the little video.
Thanks! Life as a video editor can be boring some days, gotta keep myself busy with something.
i7 3770k @ 4.2GHz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | Enermax ETS-T40TB | GeIL Black Dragon 2x8gb @ 1600 | Zotac GTX 660 | Kingston HyperX 240gb SSD | Corsair C70 Artic White | Too many internal/external HDD's to list
Old 20-08-13, 03:51 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_nibbles View Post
I've thought about doing my own custom loop many times, but I feel like I should invest a bit more in a better mobo before I do something like that. The extreme 4 has been a great board to me, but it's VRM quality has kept me from really pushing the system. I will most likely go for a large closed loop setup, or a large double column cooler. I've also been thinking about replacing the GTX 660, but I've just got to keep telling myself it's good enough for now

The window is also on my to-do list actually. I wish they would offer a version without that or at least a factory made replacement. I have no worries about making my own window, but I know some people would rather buy one from corsair.
A window mod would be epic! Would love too see it!
Old 20-08-13, 09:08 AM
The Webmaster

Tidied up your multi-posts again... please see other thread (your review).

If/when Tom see's this, I think you might want to chain it down
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 20-08-13, 10:32 PM

New Case Window!

As I mentioned before in this thread, I was going to make my own clear window to replace the ugly IMO tinted holy one.

So I did!

Here's the result.

The C70 has a different window mounting solution than most cases, so I tried to make a replacement without spending much.

I bought a clear piece of 20x30" plexiglass/acrylic (I don't really know which it is) from home depot for $15. This gave me enough to try and make two windows.

I measured the original window and added about an inch for oops room. I came up with 13.5x12.75" for the window dimensions for those who want to do this themselves.

I then measured and marked out the window on the piece of plastic, and proceeded to score the line against a straight edge (large level). I messed up my first window by not scoring the plastic enough and breaking it unevenly. the second one came out better but not by much. Some more scoring and a small hammer fixed the mess up.

Then I put the new window in the case and taped it down. I then marked the center of the holes with a sharpie, and drilled them out with a small masonry type drill bit.

Once I drilled them out, I placed the window in with the plastic strips to measure the size washer I needed. I ended up stacking three small rubber washers up on each of the mounting points, which wasn't cheap (about $7 for 48 of them)

Overall it took quite a bit of time, mostly because of my mess-ups and finding the right size washers. I think after all was said and done I spent about $25 and the final product looks much better than the original.
Old 20-08-13, 11:00 PM
too many shrooms

that window makes it look a boat load better mate good stuff