Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 24-02-20, 06:13 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchg View Post
RX 5700 XT - 9.8 TFLOPS - Summer 2019 - $500

Xbox Series X - 12 TFLOPS - Christmas 2020 - $500

Wow, sad for early adopters... I hope RDNA2 dGPUs are far more interesting.
See my point about misleading people? Look how fast that was.

@jcc, don't bother comparing the TFLOPs. Literally means nothing here, especially in your context.

Old 24-02-20, 06:43 PM
OC3D Elite

To be fair, RDNA 2 is almost certainly going to have an equivalent or better level of rendering efficiency(Though of course this still depends on other external factors including memory bandwidth), at least for traditional shader based workloads, and so an increase if it's an increase in 32-bit FLOPs it does almost guarantee an increase in end performance against an RDNA1 card, assuming other aspects & workload are equal. Even then they can usually eek a little more out on a console.
Old 24-02-20, 08:36 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
To be fair, RDNA 2 is almost certainly going to have an equivalent or better level of rendering efficiency(Though of course this still depends on other external factors including memory bandwidth), at least for traditional shader based workloads, and so an increase if it's an increase in 32-bit FLOPs it does almost guarantee an increase in end performance against an RDNA1 card, assuming other aspects & workload are equal. Even then they can usually eek a little more out on a console.
My point was just using TFLOPs as any kind of metric is wrong and with people putting articles out there just comparing TFLOPs as if it's is equal across all architectures is wrong. The fact so many people are putting articles out like this informing the less informed (we can all agree generally console players are less tech savy and therefore more easily gullible) is awful awful journalism.

Which is exactly what was done above. Even if they are similar doesn't mean it's an equal metric for both. It's not. Yes we know RDNA 2 will be better but still it's different and 10 TFLOPS of performance from RDNA 1 != RDNA 2 performance.
Old 25-02-20, 12:26 PM

Smile sony

I don't think sony has anything to worry about The Games are where playstation stands out .

I play my ps4 pro on a 1080p monitor , i would like to see freesync support and unlocked refresh rate come to playstation and 1440p support.

Not intrested in xbox has i can play there games on my pc.

I AM NOT A FANBOY, xbox 360 was my platform back in the day
Old 25-02-20, 01:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO77YBOY View Post
I don't think sony has anything to worry about The Games are where playstation stands out .

I play my ps4 pro on a 1080p monitor , i would like to see freesync support and unlocked refresh rate come to playstation and 1440p support.

Not intrested in xbox has i can play there games on my pc.

I AM NOT A FANBOY, xbox 360 was my platform back in the day
I'm not sure you can make statements like that anymore. How many times I heard that Nvidia dont have to worry about AMD, or Intel have nothing to fear about AMD... Look at the CPU decline of Intel now.

XGP has been a massive success for MS. The Series X could be a true winner, given they learn from the mistakes made by Xbox in the past with lack of exclusivities. As you say, its all about the games in the end but we know very little right now, and well PS Now was a flop.
Old 25-02-20, 01:54 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchg View Post
RX 5700 XT - 9.8 TFLOPS - Summer 2019 - $500

Xbox Series X - 12 TFLOPS - Christmas 2020 - $500

Wow, sad for early adopters... I hope RDNA2 dGPUs are far more interesting.
RDNA2 in the XBSX is still 7nm just like RDNA1 but with that comes a refinement in production process making it far cheaper to manufacture, Plus we don't know if MS are counting FP16 or FP32, XBSX could still have 6TFLOPS of FP32 but have the ability to use FP16 making it 12TFLOPS.

Gotta wait until it comes out to have any viable opinion.

Old 25-02-20, 03:08 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I'm not sure you can make statements like that anymore. How many times I heard that Nvidia dont have to worry about AMD, or Intel have nothing to fear about AMD... Look at the CPU decline of Intel now.

XGP has been a massive success for MS. The Series X could be a true winner, given they learn from the mistakes made by Xbox in the past with lack of exclusivities. As you say, its all about the games in the end but we know very little right now, and well PS Now was a flop.

I still think Sony will be fine, nintendo switch does ok and that doesn't have 12 teraflops. LOL
Old 25-02-20, 03:40 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO77YBOY View Post
I still think Sony will be fine, nintendo switch does ok and that doesn't have 12 teraflops. LOL
Agreed, Microsoft would have to be very disruptive to deal a lot of damage to Sony. Even with this gen, Microsoft made a lot of money. Sony may have "won" this console generation, but it is hard to consider Microsoft losers.

As far as the Switch goes, the fact that it is a handheld is a big factor. When you are using a small 720p screen it doesn't need 12 TFLOPS of performance.