Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-05-19, 09:27 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
Why would people smuggle guns from Mexico when you can legally buy them over counter no questions asked?

Also, I didn't pinpoint racism. It's about populism and lack of education.
You can't buy just any gun over the counter. You also need background checks to buy any gun in any state.

Buying from Mexico gives you access to a wider range of firearms, from automatic to well anything explosive. You also don't get background checks. Illegals buy them or bring them from Mexico. Gangs around the country import guns so they can't be tracked or traced to anyone. There's a hundred reasons as to why. Though as an outsider it's easy to not know those things.

I was just making sure. I disagree with populism(though not entirely it is true to an extent) and lack of education. You don't need college to know the internal problems of the US. Homelessness, Veterans with physical/mental/jobless issues(massive issue), southern border, and cutthroat politics to focused on dumb crap and the government over extending power.

Old 21-05-19, 10:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Amongst these claims you give away too much money, it's worth remembering China spends/gives away a lot more(Several times) on foreign aid than the US, because it's generally considered an investment(Improves long term trading when nations are able to buy from you, improves investment opportunities with better stability in those nations, improves access to natural resources and so on). Though the US spends a lot more on foreign military bases.

All real growth requires investment, sure you can make the numbers look a lot better over a 1-5 year period with cuts but eventually they will impact growth through many issues you've mentioned. Homelessness, particularly amongst veterans is also one of the largest issues of poverty here in the UK, with places like Manchester home to thousands of homeless and there's lots of research & data that links the rise of this issue directly with social welfare cuts. Here, and in the US, our nations lose far, far, far(Orders of magnitudes) more money from tax evasion of big businesses than we do from benefits, welfare, or any fraud related to them(£34bn vs £1.3bn here in the UK), including to immigrants or refugees, so I'm sure you can see why many assume the reason the nation has put a man who points to pretty inexpensive issues or scapegoats minorities while simultaneously having a long history of business failures and refuses to release their tax returns, while commiting further to essentially opening tax loop holes, is "uneducated" (Personally I think it's more a symptom of people becoming disenfranchised with establishment politics).

Obviously, the much bigger issue here is that 30 of the worlds 60 odd tax havens are under British control, our government doesn't just avoid solving the issues, they actively engage in making sure they're maintained. The EU made big strides to start closing up international tax loop holes, so crooked politicians persuaded the public that what we needed was to get away from those pesky EU laws, while claiming we'd be all good by... becoming a tax haven(Literally the main plan from Farage & co was to somehow reduce corporate taxes further to bring more companies in, despite us already having the lowest in the G7)
Old 21-05-19, 11:22 PM
AMD Enthusiast

China is a whole different can of worms in regards to macro economics.

As for losing money to Big coporations yes everywhere has that issue. Amazon paid $0 in taxes.

Our tax system is overly complicated true. I'd love to reform it myself. Flat taxes across the board. No tax breaks. You'd actually earn more money that way. Then use that money and fix the internal issues before helping other foreign countries. That's all I want to happen. Fix the US before others. Focus on within before focusing on outside. If we can fix our issues within and goes for any country, you'll be more effective at helping outside as well
Old 22-05-19, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
In a perfect world we would always want to buy in house. (
In a perfect world we would all realize we are in the same house, none of this "us and them"
Old 22-05-19, 08:52 AM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
In a perfect world we would all realize we are in the same house, none of this "us and them"

But we're not in the same house, In reality, Which apparently many have an allergy to, It is "us" and "them" and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 22-05-19, 09:33 AM
OC3D Elite

The "Us and them" mentality is a side effect of viewing the world through ingroups and outgroups. That is not reality, it's a psychological effect to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, to make you feel safe by allowing you to associate with things and people that you perceive to have more in common with yourself than others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingroups_and_outgroups

The reality is that every nation has civilians, workers, who create the wealth, and a class of elites who manipulate the wealth and the workers, play games with wars, and persuade the general population that another general population just like theirs is there enemy when need be. In reality, most civilians from most nations share far more of day to day life in common with those from other nations, than they share with the elite of their own, and both groups share the same threats from the same type of people, exploiters.

Our only disagreements fundamentally, are who those exploiters currently are. Some might be conditioned to find this uncomfortable but the working class in America shares much more of their day to day experiences, and has many more common problems, with the workers of China, than they do with Donald Trump or the political elite. While they have far more in common with the financial elites in China than they do with most of the worlds people.
Old 22-05-19, 10:38 AM
Resident Newb

No, I'm talking of not everyone being the same which the person above obviously thinks, There will always be "us and them" between different groups, Cultures, Races etc... and that is completely fine.

Old 22-05-19, 10:43 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
No, I'm talking of not everyone being the same which the person above obviously thinks, There will always be "us and them" between different groups, Cultures, Races etc... and that is completely fine.
There will always be the attitude but it is not based on sound logic and that is a well studied area, it's very much an illogical phenomenon and I'm not sure you could call these weird side effects of the human mind "reality". The "Us and them" attitude is one humans do not need to live with and is often actively harmful to progress regardless of how "comfortable" it can be.
Old 22-05-19, 11:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
What does this mean for my Huawei, I wonder... Happy user here
Business as usual for the next 90days. After that Huawei needs to overhaul their westerised OS so it uses their custom version of google opensource. Basically what they use now in Asia (excluding google apps which are banned anyway)

Additionally the future of google play, and google apps is still unsure. It could be handled unofficially by means of apk files. However officially, we dont know. If they allow us to download the apps, it still affects us badly given that downloads must be via google play which would be unavailable.

Right now, I only see 3rd party .apk files as an option. And these fall under the "use at your own risk" since they could easily have unorthodox configurations or spyware etc installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
The older I get the more I realize we're all pretty much the same no matter where we live. Most people are selfish. Some happen to be a little evil too. Unfortunately, it's usually the crooks that have the motivation to get into positions of power. That allows things like the Flint water crisis or the situation in Detroit to happen.

I honestly only skim American politics now. You can't trust any headlines and half the time the news is so skewed you're not sure what to believe. It's like a bad reality TV show, but with mostly unattractive characters. 99% of it is arguing which keeps most things at a stand-still. When policies finally do get passed, the other side works to tear it all down.

You just summed up Brexit in a nutshell. Every deal put forward is rejected and torn apart by the opposition.
Old 22-05-19, 11:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
now, I only see 3rd party .apk files as an option. And these fall under the "use at your own risk" since they could easily have unorthodox configurations or spyware etc installed.
Is that to install Gapps specifically? I think this would be by far the safest and easiest route forward if official Gapps were restricted: https://opengapps.org/