Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 30-04-13, 03:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMP View Post
Hi alpenwasser!!
Out of curiosity, do you know that HELIOS it´s the name of Bull´s Supercomputer?
I just wanted to share this information with you!
by the way.....nice rig you´ve got there

http://www.datacenterdynamics.com/fo...s-comes-online
It's also in Fallout : New Vegas and linked with Archimedes Death Ray

Well, strictly speaking the location is called Helios one.

Old 30-04-13, 04:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMP View Post
Hi alpenwasser!!
Out of curiosity, do you know that HELIOS it´s the name of Bull´s Supercomputer?
I just wanted to share this information with you!
by the way.....nice rig you´ve got there

http://www.datacenterdynamics.com/fo...s-comes-online
Haha, I did not know that, thanks! The original HELIOS (~2001) was actually called that because
I was (and still am) a huge fan of the original Deus Ex, in which an entity with that name is
of rather high importance to the plot. And also, I've always been fascinated by ancient
Greek mythology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It's also in Fallout : New Vegas and linked with Archimedes Death Ray

Well, strictly speaking the location is called Helios one.
Always good to learn new stuff.

GENERAL UPDATE, as long as I'm writing posts anyway

I have been contemplating cable management and cable routing in the past week (besides
working on ZEUS, which is a bit more urgent tbh). I'm pretty sure I will need to do some
custom cables to get this to look tidy, which means I have to order some equipment for that,
so it might take me two weeks or so until things for HELIOS make some more serious
progress. But I'd rather do this right and have it take a while longer than get shoddy.

In the meantime, I might investigate how to get the best bending results for the copper
pipes. I can't really use a standard pipe bender since 15 mm benders have a bit high
bending radii for this to work, so I will need to devise a custom contraption, probably.
Also, 15 mm benders are quite expensive (at least the ones I've found so far), especially
with shipping included.

I will let you know about my conclusions, nothing has been decided yet. Now, time for
some Iron Man 3
Old 30-04-13, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenwasser View Post
so I will need to devise a custom contraption, probably.
Bench vise + blowtorch = ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenwasser View Post
I will let you know about my conclusions, nothing has been decided yet. Now, time for
some Iron Man 3
Dang you Europeans (and pretty much everyone else in the world) for getting to see it first! (jk )

I have to wait till Friday (May 3) to go see it

PC Specs (as of 4/15/2013): AMD FX 8150 (OC to 3.87 GHz using AMD Asetek AIO Liquid Cooler), 8gb of Kingston HyperX Black Edition 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, Sapphire Vapor-X AMD Radeon 7770 GHz Edition, WD Caviar Blue 500GB, SeaSonic X Series 600w PSU, Zalman Z12 Plus case
Old 30-04-13, 06:09 PM
Average Penis Too

I demand pictures of the system!
That's what build logs are all about (for me atleast)

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 30-04-13, 10:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjunkie429 View Post
Bench vise + blowtorch = ?
Hm. Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjunkie429 View Post
Dang you Europeans (and pretty much everyone else in the world) for getting to see it first! (jk )

I have to wait till Friday (May 3) to go see it
Welll, the good news is: It's, really, really good (at least imho).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
I demand pictures of the system!
That's what build logs are all about (for me atleast)
I shall see what I can do tomorrow
Old 30-04-13, 11:13 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Pics or it didn't happen!
Old 02-05-13, 06:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Status Update - Wiring

Status Update

Just a quick status update: I have placed an order for some crimping stuff at Lutro0 customs,
which I will need to make the custom wiring. His crimper is a bit more suited to crimping
connectors onto 16 AWG wire (which the Enermax uses for most of its connections) than the
one from MDPC-X, which is why I went to Lutro0's even though Germany would be a lot closer
to where I live

Aside from that I've also ordered some Silicone wire in 16 AWG, 18 AWG and 20 AWG from
a British shop for making completely new cables. And just to avoid misunderstandings:
That's Silicone, not Silicon.

For those not familiar with the awesomeness of Silicone wires, they have basically two main
advantages over the normal PVC insulation wires (if they are of good quality, of course there is
also lesser quality Silicone wire): They are more resistant to chemicals and heat (the one I've
ordered can be used continuously at 200 C) and they are ridiculously flexible. The
downside is that they are a lot more expensive and that they are ridiculously flexible (since that
can also be a disadvantage if you're trying to get your cables to look neat and stay where they
have been placed). Also, they smell funny when they come out of the packaging.

I will probably make a Youtube demo vid to demonstrate the flexibility, it's really an enormous
difference. As for the heat and chemical resistance thing, that's neat and all but of course I
hope not to have to test those parameters in my build. The main reason I'm spending so much
money on wires is their flexibility and the quality.

Making completely new cables will also spare me from having to destroy some of the PSU
stock cables. I will have to reuse some of the connectors for the PSU modular PCB, but I
won't have to destroy the cables and if I ever have a problem with the PSU I can just pop the
connectors back onto the stock wiring and RMA the unit.

Until that stuff is here I will be experimenting on getting those Raystorms to a mirror shine,
which is a lot of work but unfortunately does not make for a very exciting build log section.

So yes, the prime directive for now is patience, but I'd rather wait a little bit longer and have
it turn out exactly as I want it to than start to get shoddy now.

Thank you for your attention.
Old 03-05-13, 12:14 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Please do a vid! Would love to see the difference in cabling. Since it's new to me and not just a change in color
Old 03-05-13, 05:33 AM

dam would also like to see a video on the wires ,this build gets more and more intense every time i look at it .would you recommend doing this to a brand new power supply was gonna simply sleeve the standard cables butt after reading your wiring update think might do something along these lines as well
Old 03-05-13, 12:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Please do a vid! Would love to see the difference in cabling. Since it's new to me and not just a change in color
Quote:
Originally Posted by da axxxe View Post
dam would also like to see a video on the wires ,this build gets more and more intense every time i look at it .
Ok, I'll see what I can do. But first I have to get the parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da axxxe View Post
would you recommend doing this to a brand new power supply was gonna simply sleeve the standard cables butt after reading your wiring update think might do something along these lines as well
I would say it depends a bit. For one thing, the Platimax is a very expensive PSU, so not
breaking warranty is a nice bonus. It's also 100% modular, which makes this a bit easier.

For a non-modular PSU you can either sleeve and shorten the original wires (which will
definitely break the warranty, especially if you open the unit), or make some custom
extensions (which might lead to clutter, since you will have a lot of extra cable length to
hide) or a combination of the two. I am currently working on that problem for ZEUS, but
I'm not satisfied yet with the results, hence no update.

But for a 100% modular PSU I think this is a pretty good decision. Besides not breaking
the warranty you can make the wires exactly as long as you need them to be. Of course
you could also shorten the stock wires (or make extensions), but then you'd need the
exact same tools you'd need to make completely new ones. So to me, spending a little
bit extra on connectors and some additional wire is worth it. You don't have to go for
Silicone wire, normal PVC wire is a lot cheaper, so it's not like making completely new
cables will necessarily cost you a lot more than reusing the stock ones.

Tags
560 radiator, caselabs smh10, copper, evga sr-2, geforce titan