Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 09-10-13, 12:06 PM
The Webmaster

All I see are excuses... :P

Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 09-10-13, 12:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
All I see are excuses... :P
Well, you're not completely wrong of course. I could break into his shop and start
working myself, but I have neither plans of committing B&E nor do I intend to screw
up my nice 70 CHF (48 GBP, 77 USD, 57 EUR) copper pipe by operating a lathe with
which I'm utterly unfamiliar (let alone damage the lathe ).

Besides, I'm still not yet 100% done with planning the loop, so I haven't ordered the
fittings yet.

It's funny, the officer's school I went to actually had as its motto "No excuses!", which
could lead to some rather hilariously sweating recruits when we'd screwed up and
were being chewed out by our instructors.

Anyway... back to drawing pipes.
Old 09-10-13, 06:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Colour-Coordinating the Raystorms

Colour-Coordinating the Raystorms

OK, as you have already seen, I have polished the Raystorms (although there are still some
fine scratches which I need to get out at this point). I've never really been a fan of the alu
in the bracket, so I thought I'd paint it black. I must admit that I screwed up the paint job
a bit, so this is just temporary, but it should give you some idea of what I'm going for and
how it might eventually look.

(click image for full res)

Even though I'm very happy with the colour combo on this, I'm still not sure if I actually like
the shape of the bracket, and I am seriously considering making my own. However, I have
so far not been able to come up with any satisfactory ideas, so I'm open for suggestions
on that one (I can't promise you I'll follow them, but I will be grateful nonetheless ).

Cheers,
-aw
Old 09-10-13, 06:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah, could be re-done but I like the idea, a lot

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 09-10-13, 07:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
Yeah, could be re-done but I like the idea, a lot
Oh, so do I, I'm just not happy with the implementation yet. But I thought I'd throw
it out there and see if something inspirational comes back.

EDIT
On another note: I can't edit the original post anymore, it's locked, so no more updates
to the Table of Contents.
Old 09-10-13, 08:18 PM
OC3D Crew

your not machining one from copper and inlaying the black into it then
Old 09-10-13, 08:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehere View Post
your not machining one from copper and inlaying the black into it then
Hehe, the thought has crossed my mind, but I think outright replicating the stock one wouldn't
quite look right because of the inner part of the bracket which shows through between the block's
top and the faceplate, I think it would make the block look a bit too massive (because you'd
have one central area of copper which would be quite a bit larger than the block's top itself)
and I quite like its current proportions.

But yeah, I am definitely considering doing something with copper, and just making the entire
thing out of copper has not been completely dismissed yet.
Old 13-10-13, 04:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Backplate & Teaser

New Table of Contents

Since I can't edit the first post anymore, this post will also serve as the new table of contents.
  1. Colour-Coordinating the Raystorms
  2. Deciding on a Backplate & Small Teaser
  3. 2013-OCT-13: The EVGA SR-2 Black Editon
  4. 2013-OCT-28: Requesting Opinions on Fittings...
  5. 2013-OCT-29: Colour-Coordinating the RAM Blocks

Deciding on a Backplate, Small Teaser

As some of you may know, the Xeon sockets come with a slightly different mounting system
than the normal LGA1366 (at least as far as I can tell, I've never owned a normal 1366 board).
Basically, the backplate is an integral part of the mounting system, something like LGA2011 I think.

The neat thing about this is that the bolts which are used by the Raystorm mounting system
have compatible threads (M3), so if I want I can use the stock Raystorm bolts with the stock
Xeon backplate. However, from what I've been able to tell, most people who have an SR-2 seem
to be using the backplates which come with their coolers, so I thought I'd take a closer look at
the backplate which comes with the Raystorm, compare the two and then make the decision.

This is one of the Raystorm's bolts. It's a rather convenient mounting system I must admit.
XSPC did a good job on that one IMO.

Taking the socket apart is as easy as undoing four Torx nuts:

The top part separated from the backplate. You can see the threads coming through the PCB
to which the top part of the bracket is attached.

The top bracket by itself:

And the backplate. I must say I was rather impressed by this, it is a very solid piece of metal.
The four threads are an integral part of the backplate.

The Raystorm backplate is made from significantly thinner metal, but has some contours
shaped into it to give it more strength. As those of you who know your mechanics may know,
this is a very effective technique and can significantly increase the strength of a sheet of metal
(or anything, really).

Still, the difference in thickness between the two plates is pretty noticeable. I have therefore
decided to go with the stock Xeon backplate for now.

Also, a small teaser for what's to come (it's not done yet in this pic by any stretch, just FYI ):

Old 13-10-13, 10:06 PM
OC3D Elite

The EVGA SR-2 Black Edition

The EVGA SR-2 Black Edition

Right then. I think most of us will agree that the SR-2 is a rather smexy piece of hardware. However, two
things:
  • 1. The "red" on the PCI and RAM slots is more red-salmon than red. It's not downright ugly, but
    it's not a very nice shade of red IMO.
  • 2. Even if it were, red does not at all fit into my colour scheme.

So, measures had to be taken. But first, a few images of the stock board, just because I can:

Also, since we're here anyway: Yeah, I really do have some X5680's in there.

After consulting with my technical committee...

...I first tried out using 3M 1080 car wrap on the PCI-E slots. It didn't actually work too badly, but
it just didn't look right. I'm not sure why TBH, something was just off about it. So, the decision was
taken to paint most of the red bits of the board. In cooperation with some Humbrol Enamel Paint
(and some paint thinner, not pictured, because this stuff is rather gloopy).

Credit goes to Gary Wain (G-Dubs) on the OC3D forum and his NZXSPC build log for the idea.

After the first two coats of paint/thinner mixture it looked like this:

Now, no matter how well and thoroughly I paint the board, I was never going to be painting the insides
of the PCI-E and the RAM slots. I have actually heard of a guy doing this with spray paint and then just
yanking a board in and out a few times (therefore scraping off the paint again), but I wasn't willing to
risk my board on that. So, I had to devise a different plan, because the red here was still bothering me
quite a bit.

Therefore: 3M to the rescue!

The idea was just to cover the top sides of the PCI-E slots. This also allows me to just take off the wrap
again if I ever need to use more slots.

After wrapping the PCI-E slots, I also painted them with the Humbrol mixture to have the same shade of
black everywhere (this pic is still without the Humbrol layer though).

Of course, the IO area also got a good dose of paint. You'll notice the paint hasn't properly covered
everything, even after three coats. I don't have any primer for this paint, and I can't/won't use and spray
primer, so it will have to stay this way. Since it's only on the parts which you won't see once the board
is inside the case (can't get the necessary angle of sight), this doesn't bother me that much and I probably
won't further try to fix it.

The same applies to the RAM slots: The bits which are still red either can't be covered or will be hidden due
to angle of sight and/or the RAM water blocks. So don't panic.

And a few close-up shots of the PCI-E slots:

And the board in its glorious entirety. The PCI-E slots which isn't covered will of course be used
by the Titan.

Imperfections

You'll notice the odd imperfection here and there (for example, the caps and power/reset are
only painted on their tops). Regarding the caps: I don't want to completely cover them in paint
for thermal reasons, and the reset/power switches will be hidden anyway (behind the top radiator).
Any imperfections which are still visible and actually bothering me once it's all mounted in the
case will be corrected later.

Also, keep in mind that most of the imperfections do not stick out at you IRL at all, but I made
sure to have very good lighting for taking the pictures, otherwise you wouldn't have really be able
to see what's going on with all that black on the board.

Now I just hope the board is still OK. I did test the board on Friday and it ran OK, let's hope that
hasn't changed.

So long,
-aw
Old 13-10-13, 10:46 PM
OC3D Elite

i am so glad my mpower's pci-e slots are black, else you would've just planted another very time consuming idea in my head.
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown // Zowie FK1 // Steelseries QCK+
Beyerdynamics DT 990 // FiiO E10 // Asus VG248QE // Asus VE228

Tags
560 radiator, caselabs smh10, copper, evga sr-2, geforce titan