Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > Games

Old 26-09-10, 08:19 AM
OC3D Elite

If it's DX9 then it will run CPU heavy, DX10 onwards are GPU heavy for games.

*Won at a Xmas party raffle.
Old 26-09-10, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

This game has elements I absolutely love and some which I'm left scratching my head over.

Graphics look great, but some textures are pants and it can look a bit 'dull'. The former is most likely due to the number of cars on track, doesn't bother me much though.

There are heaps of people having performance issues. It worked fine for my on my GTX280, fine on my 5770 but now I see some random slowdowns that get worse the longer you play on my 5870. Strange, this is DX9. You can force DX11 in the config file, though it's rumoured to be part of a later patch. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm not going to hold my breath either, recently codemasters have hyped a lot of games that simply didn't deliver, and their support with patches has been quite slow and poor to be frank.

The cars times appear to be fabricated. Head over to the CM forums for more on that, but it doesn't look good. Basically the cars on track are just running AI to block you etc, but are not posting the 'real' times you see on the leaderboards. This explains why there are no split times, because it's not calculated as it'd be incorrect. If this isn't fixed, it's a pretty serious problem and stinks of developer laziness. What a shame, as driving the game is a lot of fun, the AI on track is generally very good too. I did wonder how the times were so scarily close to the real life ones.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying playing for now, the challenge is more in setting a fast time than overtaking. Online is probably quite good, haven't tried yet but lots of complaints over how long you have to wait for the race to start. I thought GRID was tedious but this is worse apparently!
Old 26-09-10, 09:55 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
It is going to look dull in places. All racing games look dull in places because on the track of a race course that's what it looks like.

When it rains though? well, that adds more to it and it looks absolutely stonking.

I don't really understand why people are comparing this to Dirt 2. It uses the same graphical engine.. That's it, code, an infrastructure. That doesn't mean you just 'whack things on' and it should be absolutely perfect and bug free. it's a lot more complicated than that.

Dirt 2? yes, it was much prettier. But then it would be due to the locations and enviroments. You can't race an F1 car through the woods of Croatia or through those wonderful mountain scenes.

This game is more of a game for purists. I got it because Codemasters deserve support and deserve my money. I don't even really like Formula one BUT this has finally got me thinking very seriously about finally using the Ferrari steering wheel that's been under my bed since Jan 09.

It seems Codies don't need my support though. Everywhere who had this game for less than £30 has sold out and Steam's servers were totally overloaded yesterday. It took me three tries to get the download going.

But yes, this is a game for absolute purists and for those reasons will really make some people blissfully happy.

They gave us a street racing/track game with Grid. They gave us a rally game with Dirt 2 and now they have given us a Formula 1 game (the best ever may I add) and thus every one should be happy

As for how it runs? flawless for me chaps. No stutter nothing, goes along like a Ninja on steroids.
Old 26-09-10, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

I have to totally disagree that this is a game for purists.

If you want the best and most accurate simulation of formula 1, this was never going to be it. Mods for rfactor and netkarpro are much more realistic, especially in handling, but do lack the presentation of F1 2010. There's rumours that some of the teams in the championship actually use rfactor/netkar with their own customisations as their simulators. I can't see them using F1 2010 somehow!

Despite its irritating flaws, I'm still enjoying it very much though, and for me that's what gaming is all about. I just hope that Codemasters provide the post release support for this one that we should have had with DiRT, GRID, DiRT 2 with their numerous bugs. If anything, F1 2010 was more rushed and appears to suffer a larger number of issues right now.
Old 26-09-10, 11:23 AM
Banned

Hmm. OK you're right.. It's a game for F1 fans and semi purists. Thing is, how many people have a £400 wheel and pedal set up etc? Those aren't for purists, those are for hard core fans haha.

I think Codies have their games spot on tbh. Easy to pick up, easy to play (depending on how you set it up) and hard to put down. I've now dug out my el cheapo wheel and pedal set, once I'm done hoovering and cleaning I shall set them up

Mind you I know what'll end up happening. I'll cop a fat one for Need for speed underground 2 and end up playing that haha.
Old 24-11-10, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

I'm an admin for a website and F1 server, love me driving games me like

This is an arcade game, a very beautiful one but the Rfactor racing community were pretty appalled. Even more staggering is that 'A Davidson' helped out with this games physics and realism. All I can say is he must have been paid very well to tell them the game is ok.

The engines are weak as , they sound like a bloody 125cc bike and not something that can pull 18000rpm and brake from 200mph to 50mph in less than a second.The game was a massive fail to racer enthusiasts globally and it was totally expected.

If it gets people into racing and buying a wheel then this will be a bonus but for now, Rfactor and it's mods are far superior and when Rfactor 2 comes out next year Codemasters better have something massive up there sleeve and not just another fat rabbit with haemorrhoids.
Old 25-11-10, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Muggles View Post

This is an arcade game
No, it isn't. I would go and look up what Arcade game means.

It doesn't mean put in a coin and spend half an hour picking out your tyres. It doesn't mean putting in a coin and doing qualifying. It may not be a full blown sim but it's not an arcade game.

Daytona USA is an arcade game. S.C.U.D race is an arcade game. Cruis'n USA is an arcade game. This is far from that.

Ed. Sorry if that sounded a bit crappy. It wasn't meant to be