Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 04-04-19, 09:24 AM
News Guru

EK Preps for 3rd Generation Threadripper with their Velocity Series TR4 Water Block

A 3rd Generation Design for 7nm Zen 2 Threadripper.

Read more about EK's 3rd Generation Velocity Series TR4 water block.

Old 04-04-19, 05:02 PM

LOL...took them three tries to come up with a copy of the XSPC raystorm NEO
Old 04-04-19, 06:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
LOL...took them three tries to come up with a copy of the XSPC raystorm NEO
Gotta love how completely unoriginal EK are. It took them this long to come with a design alternative to a bloody SQUARE, and all they did was shave the corners, LOL!

Old 04-04-19, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Technically, this will be their fourth block. I've got both a first gen and 3rd gen block. There was a very big pronounced difference between them.

Old 04-04-19, 07:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Gotta love how completely unoriginal EK are. It took them this long to come with a design alternative to a bloody SQUARE, and all they did was shave the corners, LOL!
Looks to me like the inside is milled differently too. Looks nothing like mine on the interior. Seems they extended the blocks and made a recess for the standoffs too.

Clear one looks a bit.. bleh but I like the nickel plate. Have yet to come across a build which is completely done from head to toe with that kind of theme.

/scratches head and grins with ideas for next build

What I do find hard to understand is why their prices are going up for as you say.. very little innovation on inventiveness (is that a word?)
Old 04-04-19, 08:34 PM
OC3D Elite

I find EK very hit and miss. Some stuff I like, some stuff I'd never buy again. I've always found them priced a bit high for the quality level too. This CPU block doesn't look bad (bashing aside), but Watercoools HeatKiller blocks are my personal preference. WAY higher quality, and better prices, at least for me here in Canada.

This is still an improvement in looks, and I'm sure it'll perform fine, and cost too much.

Old 04-04-19, 08:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I find EK very hit and miss.
Yup. I've only ever used a few of their bits. Rads were beautiful but massively disappointing in quality. Got a couple of plain black rotaries and plugs I like though. XSPC are usually cheaper and better looking though.

Old 05-04-19, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Hehe..it's almost like they are subliminally admitting to cutting corners on everything...except price

A few years ago they were my go to...but they've seriously gone downhill...now there's always someone else doing better stuff at lower prices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei View Post
Technically, this will be their fourth block.
Yeah well, that first block was a crime...
Old 05-04-19, 09:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
Hehe..it's almost like they are subliminally admitting to cutting corners on everything...except price

A few years ago they were my go to...but they've seriously gone downhill...now there's always someone else doing better stuff at lower prices...

Yeah well, that first block was a crime...
This could be why there was a shakeup there not so long ago. Key people left the company and headed to Corsair. Might be that their direction moved away from passion and drifted towards greed. In other words, they have started to lose their way.

Who knows... but as a huge EK fan myself, I agree with you. I dont use their fittings anymore, quality is poor, and had many leaks, returning 30% of the purchases many times. GPU blocks are still the best performers for me, and i do like their design still.

CPU blocks.. hmm velocity im undecided, nickel is nice, POM and acryliic, not so much. And their RGB refraction is poor. As much as I hate the lighting, they are doing a poor job at illuminating their blocks.
Old 05-04-19, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
This could be why there was a shakeup there not so long ago.
I didn't know that...I wonder if that's for the better or for worse...I presume the owner is the same?

I just saw aluminium blocks the other day and my heart sank...

They can add all the RGB they want and design flourishes...but only after they've got the basic design right...

I still have their old fittings in my loop...and yeah a GPU block of theirs...but it's for the maxwell gen so...