Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 17-07-19, 04:30 PM
News Guru

Intel expects 7nm to be ready in two years

10nm will be a short-lived node for Intel.

Read more about Intel's plans to make 7nm production-ready in two years.

Old 17-07-19, 04:48 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Honestly I would have gave up on 10nm put all the money into 7nm to speed that up or instead use that 10nm to speed up the design of the next architecture of whatever they were planning on. Would have saved them a lot of wasted time. I doubt 10nm will pay for itself with so much money going into it and so little time to sell.
Old 17-07-19, 04:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah they only kept 10nm to save face to investors. Engineers were leaking that there were major issues with the node as far back as 2015, and once 2016 came along and it started to seem like EUV could be just about economical this decade there was a lot of internal pressure to drop 10nm's and move on to their EUV successor/7nm, but apparently it was seen as a PR disaster that would have too much of an impact on stock performance so they trimmed it down, massively cut projected production, cut out loads of products set to launch on it, moved more or less all major development to 7nm and products that use it and have left 10nm as a gap filler for certain specific markets with less than a quarter of the initial fab space committed to it.
Old 17-07-19, 07:06 PM
OC3D Elite

I wonder if the old rule still applies, as in Intel's manufacturing notation is more stringent and their 7nm is going to be "smaller" than others'
Old 17-07-19, 07:38 PM
OC3D Elite

What Intel calls 7nm will still be smaller than what everyone else calls 7nm because everyone still uses roughly the same naming scheme. However their 7nm launches when everyone else's 5nm does and will be their first EUV generation vs everyone else's 2nd or 3rd.
Old 17-07-19, 07:45 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Yeah they only kept 10nm to save face to investors. Engineers were leaking that there were major issues with the node as far back as 2015, and once 2016 came along and it started to seem like EUV could be just about economical this decade there was a lot of internal pressure to drop 10nm's and move on to their EUV successor/7nm, but apparently it was seen as a PR disaster that would have too much of an impact on stock performance so they trimmed it down, massively cut projected production, cut out loads of products set to launch on it, moved more or less all major development to 7nm and products that use it and have left 10nm as a gap filler for certain specific markets with less than a quarter of the initial fab space committed to it.
14nm was supposed to be a stop-gap itself, wasn't it? It was aimed originally at the mobile market. 10nm was supposed to be their big guns and the true followup to 22nm or whatever it was they were using.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 17-07-19, 08:46 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
14nm was supposed to be a stop-gap itself, wasn't it? It was aimed originally at the mobile market. 10nm was supposed to be their big guns and the true followup to 22nm or whatever it was they were using.
Honestly, it's been so long I have no idea anymore. LOL
Probably take a few hours just to find out if it was or not it was that long ago.
Old 17-07-19, 08:56 PM
News Guru

Well, 14nm did start with Broadwell, which barely had a desktop release. There is a reason Haswell got a re-release as Devils Canyon.

TBH it is similar to the 10nm rollout. Mobile first, bigger things later.
Old 17-07-19, 09:42 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I think Intel need the bigger things now and mobile later. The big boy chips are where the money it at for them.
Old 17-07-19, 10:36 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I think Intel need the bigger things now and mobile later. The big boy chips are where the money it at for them.
Yes, but mobile is where the early yields are at. After that then the big chips. It makes more financial sense to work your way up than the other way round.

I do agree that Intel needs big chips though. Mobile first also gives Intel the lead before 7nm Ryzen mobile chips come.