Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Asus UK Customer Care Forums

Old 20-10-17, 07:25 AM

Asus Z270E - Options for more than 2 x M.2 drives?

My motherboard is https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...pecifications/

Expansion Slots
2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x4 mode)
4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1

I only have 1 GPU and wont buy a 2nd.

Currently I have only 1 Samsung 960 EVO NVME M.2 but I am soon going to buy one more which will take up the last free spot on the motherboard. (depending on my expansion options it'll be a 500gb or 1tb.)

So in the future what's my options for installing more m.2 drives ?

Can I use this one from Asus which seems far superior to any other:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Acc...CARD/overview/

What about this one: (I don't know the brand and its crazy expensive)
http://amfeltec.com/products/pci-exp...2-ssd-modules/

Can I use smaller expansion cards like:
https://www.asus.com/nz/Motherboard-..._X4_MINI_CARD/
https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-T...dp/B01798WOJ0/

I am trying to find the highest amount of m.2 drives I can cram into my PCIe lanes without lowering the sequential read/write speeds 3,200/1,900 MB/sec for each drive.

I have really been trying to figure this out by myself but I am still new in this world of wonders.

What's my options ?

Old 21-10-17, 03:50 AM
OC3D Elite

its simple m.2's NVME use chipset pci lanes. Anything you plus into a pcie slot on your mobo (x16,x8,x4) use cpu lanes. Using 2 NVMe m.2 in the m.2 headers will disable certain sata ports (normally 5/6) Using pcie slots doesnt but diminishes an already low cpu pcie output.

now all that said your cpu (assuming 7700K) only has 16 pcie lanes available. So adding a pcie slotted ssd will lower your gpu from x16 to x8 to give the pcie ssd some lanes.

now that said again lol your better off just populating one or both m.2 slots and adding normal ssd's cause in real world usage a good ssd is enough. The only place you'll see your 3200/1900 MB/sec read/write speeds are in benchmarks. They make almost no noticeable difference in everyday uses.

Intel 7700K
Aorus Z270 Gaming K7
2x8GB GSKILL Trident Z 3200MHz
Intel SSD6 256Gb x2 in Raid 0
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
EVGA GTX1080 FTW2 iCX Heat Killer IV block
Custom water Cooled Hardware Labs GTS360/240
ThermalTake Grand RGB 1000w PSU
Corsair Crystal 570X

Old 21-10-17, 10:18 AM

Damn is that how it works, that sucks.

Yes CPU is 7700K, then what the hell is the purpose of having multiple pcie lanes if you can't use more than one x16.

So the only way to use more pcie lanes is to buy a better CPU?

What if I were to use something differently in the pcie lanes? Like a sound card?
Old 21-10-17, 12:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeyhb View Post

Yes CPU is 7700K, then what the hell is the purpose of having multiple pcie lanes if you can't use more than one x16.
Go ask Intel. I would imagine if they were to honestly reply they would say "because it saves us money".

Keep what you have for a while, then go Ryzen 1700 or 1700x or wait for the next gen Ryzen. You get a crapload of PCIE lanes on AMD.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 21-10-17, 02:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeyhb View Post

So the only way to use more pcie lanes is to buy a better CPU?

What if I were to use something differently in the pcie lanes? Like a sound card?
Yes it does

You can use more than one pcie device it just knocks down the first to x8

You have the best cpu fir that platform already

Sound card or anything plugged in does the same it’s shared lanes

Like I said there is no need to have super high speed m.2 on every drive in you system the only place you will see those speed are in benchmarks. Real world apps do not benefit from that speed.
You’ll see in my dig I have 2 m.2’s in raid0 total waste as no real world advantage outside their small and I have a larger partition which fir me makes more sense. My other drives are a 1Tb evo 1Tb sshd 4Tb purple drive and 8Tb barracuda, so 3 of my drives are spinners and I suffer no bad loading times or performance issues as each drive serves its intended purpose. I recently re-installed windows and redid all my drives moving uplay my currently most used gaming app to my m.2 in hopes of lessening the load times in The Division. Uplay was formerly on my 1TB Samsung 850 Evo. I was disappointed nothing changed.

So again I recommend outside of as AlienALX’s suggestion of going Ryzen fir their pcie advantage. Just get you some ssd’s and call it a day.
Old 23-10-17, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
[...]Keep what you have for a while, then go Ryzen 1700 or 1700x or wait for the next gen Ryzen. You get a crapload of PCIE lanes on AMD.

Yeah might go AMD for next gen build. But this one will have to do for the next couple of years I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_I_N View Post
[...]You can use more than one pcie device it just knocks down the first to x8[...]

Like I said there is no need to have super high speed m.2 on every drive in you system the only place you will see those speed are in benchmarks. Real world apps do not benefit from that speed.
You’ll see in my dig I have 2 m.2’s in raid0 total waste as no real world advantage outside their small and I have a larger partition which fir me makes more sense. My other drives are a 1Tb evo 1Tb sshd 4Tb purple drive and 8Tb barracuda, so 3 of my drives are spinners and I suffer no bad loading times or performance issues as each drive serves its intended purpose. I recently re-installed windows and redid all my drives moving uplay my currently most used gaming app to my m.2 in hopes of lessening the load times in The Division. Uplay was formerly on my 1TB Samsung 850 Evo. I was disappointed nothing changed.

So again I recommend outside of as AlienALX’s suggestion of going Ryzen fir their pcie advantage. Just get you some ssd’s and call it a day.
I still want the crazy fast speeds even though they might not make the biggest difference.

I saw a test by GamersNexus https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2...impact-on-gpus which indicates that the games only suffer a 1% performance drop when gpu use x8 insted of x16.

But I don't think I am able to use the x16 card from Asus as it is using VROC, which as far as I can read only exists on the x299 motherboards?

How much of an impact do you think I will get on my GPU if I were to expand with the Asus HYPER_M2_X4_MINI_CARD ? is it the same? as in the GPU is still decreased to x8 or will it only be decreased by x4 so to a total of x12 ? (I don't know how it works)
Old 23-10-17, 12:25 PM
OC3D Elite

It’s only x16 or x8 nothing in between. Look at it this way how much storage do you need??? You may get away with just a couple large m.2’s.

Your correct the drop to x8 is marginal at best. Simply because you want blazing fast storage speed that will never be utilized if it’s that important again grab a couple large 2TB m.2’s. For me and I think most others I’d rather have that extra FPS. Also if you look at the MSI Z270 Gaming it has 3 m.2 slots on it.

Intel 7700K
Aorus Z270 Gaming K7
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Corsair Crystal 570X

Old 23-10-17, 01:11 PM

Quote:
It’s only x16 or x8 nothing in between.
Okay thats also what I thought.

Quote:
Look at it this way how much storage do you need??? You may get away with just a couple large m.2’s.
Well not that much, Could have been fine with 2-3Tb. But I am using one m.2 slot with a 500gb and buying the 1TB for the other.

Quote:
Your correct the drop to x8 is marginal at best. Simply because you want blazing fast storage speed that will never be utilized if it’s that important again grab a couple large 2TB m.2’s. For me and I think most others I’d rather have that extra FPS. Also if you look at the MSI Z270 Gaming it has 3 m.2 slots on it.
So the performance drop of my GPU is the same whether I use another x16 PCIe lane or only use an x4 ?

Quote:
Also if you look at the MSI Z270 Gaming it has 3 m.2 slots on it.
How is that possible? wouldn't that cause the same slow down as if I were to use another x4 on my motherboard?

On the other hand.... If I were to buy a 2.5 ssd I am thinking of buying the Samsung 850 EVO
Old 23-10-17, 01:35 PM
OC3D Elite

yes using any of the pcie slots will drop top to x8 no way around that for the described wants.

its possible because they wanted to add a third slot. I'm sure it diminishes the available sata ports if all 3 are populated.

If this were my build (COST NO OPTION) and I had to have super fast speeds on storage I wont really see or feel. I'd get the MSI board and 3 2TB Samsung 960's and call it a day. I'd probably even get stupider and raid the 3 for shi(r)ts and giggles and because I CAN.

Intel 7700K
Aorus Z270 Gaming K7
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Corsair Crystal 570X

Old 23-10-17, 02:00 PM

yeah that's probably how they did it.

If cost wasn't a part of my concern I would have created an entirely different build xD
but it still is.

For now I think I'll stick with the two 960EVO's.

Thanks for the comments S_I_N.

Tags
m.2 ssd, nvme, pcie 3.0, z270e