Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 24-03-21, 01:42 PM
Resident Newb

Just had another daily Indian scam call, Some Indian bloke started chatting at me saying "hello this is amazon" etc... he knew my actual name, My email address and my home address attached to my amazon account, Apparently someone had ordered an apple ipad blah blah blah, I played along and when it came time he asked me to get on a PC or smartphone, I said I didn't have any as I'm a quaker and even using a phone is a major sin

Told me he was going to find me and burn me alive, Charming bloke XD

What I'd like to know is how the hell did he have my home address, Email and real name ? Did amazon recently have a huge data breach ?

Old 24-03-21, 03:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Oh I got one of those last year.

"Do you want me to cancel and refund you?"

Me "f**k no. Due to the pandemic iPads are sold out everywhere. I'll put it on eBay and make a fortune!"

He wasn't expecting that.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 25-03-21, 06:11 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Oh I got one of those last year.

"Do you want me to cancel and refund you?"

Me "f**k no. Due to the pandemic iPads are sold out everywhere. I'll put it on eBay and make a fortune!"

He wasn't expecting that.

I rang EE today and they're giving me a new number for free as I'm getting up to 6 of these calls per day, Just getting annoying but the lady on the phone told me that they've even had these people ring their own call centres trying to scam them XD
Old 25-03-21, 06:24 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Just had another daily Indian scam call, Some Indian bloke started chatting at me saying "hello this is amazon" etc... he knew my actual name, My email address and my home address attached to my amazon account, Apparently someone had ordered an apple ipad blah blah blah, I played along and when it came time he asked me to get on a PC or smartphone, I said I didn't have any as I'm a quaker and even using a phone is a major sin

Told me he was going to find me and burn me alive, Charming bloke XD

What I'd like to know is how the hell did he have my home address, Email and real name ? Did amazon recently have a huge data breach ?
Amazon like any other digital company sells your data. Just have to know where to find it. Their services aren't free. Always strings attached. Even if they say they don't sell your data doesn't mean they aren't, probably means they sell it without anything that identifies you personally.

Old professor I had, his best friend would work 2 hours a day sometimes a few hours a week, buy data cheap, then sell them to anyone make an insane amount of money then log off. He was always somewhere new surfing just needed internet. The amount of money people make off it is insane.
Old 25-03-21, 11:22 PM
OC3D Elite

It's somewhat irritating when a work phone which I'm obligated to answer is also within Indian scammers' scope... And they're spoofing numbers so they look legit as well.

Also, I find it unlikely that a reputable company is their source - they're probably using lists from website breaches and the like, or even just plain old bruteforcing, calling new numbers incrementally and making note of which are on-line.
Old 26-03-21, 08:35 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
It's somewhat irritating when a work phone which I'm obligated to answer is also within Indian scammers' scope... And they're spoofing numbers so they look legit as well.

Also, I find it unlikely that a reputable company is their source - they're probably using lists from website breaches and the like, or even just plain old bruteforcing, calling new numbers incrementally and making note of which are on-line.
They dont need to at all. Its incredibly easy to spoof an MSISDN number and make it show up as a legit Finnish number from Telia for example. The worst part is that the number they spoof often exists in the real world meaning, when you try to call it back, you are put through to someone who has no idea what you are talking about, and/or receives unnecessary abuse from the people the scammers called.

When I answer and they say microsoft I simply say "you know you called the norwegian police right? I am tracing this call..." as stupid as it sounds, it actually works.
Old 26-03-21, 10:34 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
They dont need to at all. Its incredibly easy to spoof an MSISDN number and make it show up as a legit Finnish number from Telia for example.
I mean, the list of people they call, not the spoofed number. I am aware that spoofing is trivial.

I just hang up once I hear Microsoft. Seems like these calls come in waves, there's usually 2-3 days of activity and then it'll be a month until I hear from their call centers again.
Old 26-03-21, 01:02 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
They dont need to at all. Its incredibly easy to spoof an MSISDN number and make it show up as a legit Finnish number from Telia for example. The worst part is that the number they spoof often exists in the real world meaning, when you try to call it back, you are put through to someone who has no idea what you are talking about, and/or receives unnecessary abuse from the people the scammers called.

When I answer and they say microsoft I simply say "you know you called the norwegian police right? I am tracing this call..." as stupid as it sounds, it actually works.
Today when another rang up, Always between 12PM and 2PM, I pretended to be Borris the Russian ex-KGB agent -

"No, I sell you new phone, Give money, And then give vodka or you wake up with horse head in bed, You give vodka ?"

Hung up on me XD
Old 29-03-21, 05:33 PM
Resident Newb

So I got a "UpHere" GPU support bracket a while back, Solid steel with a little bit of plastic on the back, I noticed it had screws on it so took it apart, Removed a little strip of plastic from the inside and put an RGB strip inside it with the wire trailing out the back through a modified PCI cover into a USB port, Screwed it back together and installed it.

The picture doesn't show it properly but the little control strip for colour switching and brightness is actually flat flush against the back.

Not the snazziest mod but I think it looks neat and I was bored, Now just to get some plastic black wrap for the wire and also neaten up my USB mobo wire

Old 16-04-21, 03:18 PM
OC3D Elite

GPU memory latency is pretty interesting stuff I haven't seen measurements of before:

https://chipsandcheese.com/2021/04/1...emory-latency/

Tags
banter, conversation, entertainment, fun, jokes, safe for work, small talk