Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 20-11-16, 09:46 PM
AMD Enthusiast

The bigger issue is content supporting it. Yeah sure for games it's supported, but if no one on the TV commerical provider side will support it, it really hurts the advancement. Games are the only things that are supporting it. Not much else is, it's going to take a long time. Which means prices are going to stay high for a long time too.

Old 20-11-16, 09:50 PM
Resident Newb

Honestly having seen HDR in the flesh I don't give 2 monkeys about it, 3440x1440 IPS 144Hz Freesync that has nice clean looks is on my dream wishlist though
Old 20-11-16, 09:59 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
The bigger issue is content supporting it. Yeah sure for games it's supported, but if no one on the TV commerical provider side will support it, it really hurts the advancement. Games are the only things that are supporting it. Not much else is, it's going to take a long time. Which means prices are going to stay high for a long time too.
Yeah, on 4K Blu-ray it is only supported on some titles. Then there is the whole HDR10 vs Dolby Vision thing.

It is also true that a TV can be advertised as HDR without actually supporting HDR10, which is a whole flustercluck. The standard needs time to mature, with higher quality panels becoming mainstream, a new HDMI hat supports full chroma at 60Hz 4K 10 or 12 bit and a range of HDR ready content.
Old 20-11-16, 11:29 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Honestly having seen HDR in the flesh I don't give 2 monkeys about it, 3440x1440 IPS 144Hz Freesync that has nice clean looks is on my dream wishlist though
You probably haven't seen a true HDR panel. Very very few they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Yeah, on 4K Blu-ray it is only supported on some titles. Then there is the whole HDR10 vs Dolby Vision thing.

It is also true that a TV can be advertised as HDR without actually supporting HDR10, which is a whole flustercluck. The standard needs time to mature, with higher quality panels becoming mainstream, a new HDMI hat supports full chroma at 60Hz 4K 10 or 12 bit and a range of HDR ready content.
There needs to be one standard. Dolby needs to gtfo and stop slowing down technology. Adoption rates are so slow for this reason. Every company fights tooth and nail. There is a reason we have international standards for things. But still there's always that one company..
Old 21-11-16, 02:57 PM

"We will need to wait for HDMI 2.1 or another future standard before we will get to play HDR content on at 4K with a full chroma colour sampling"

its already here, DisplayPort 1.3
Old 21-11-16, 05:14 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiak View Post
"We will need to wait for HDMI 2.1 or another future standard before we will get to play HDR content on at 4K with a full chroma colour sampling"

its already here, DisplayPort 1.3
Yes as we discussed already.
Old 21-11-16, 08:14 PM
OC3D Elite

We all know that consumers would be better off without HDMI and just DP instead. But will it happen...

Watercooling - custom
Old 21-11-16, 09:07 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiro View Post
We all know that consumers would be better off without HDMI and just DP instead. But will it happen...
No!
I don't even understand why.. it's superior in every way and been around just as long
Old 22-11-16, 01:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiro View Post
Monitor makers need to drop VGA (on the cheaper monitors) & DVI for a start and just keep HDMI and DP even tho i like DP way more for a computer.

I look at it as DP = computers & HDMI = TV's
Old 22-11-16, 02:47 PM
born in a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Old School View Post
Monitor makers need to drop VGA (on the cheaper monitors) & DVI for a start and just keep HDMI and DP even tho i like DP way more for a computer.

I look at it as DP = computers & HDMI = TV's
Why on the cheaper monitors? Surely the whole point of a cheaper product is that its cheaper to use? From a business perspective, VGA is going to be around forever as everything supports it/can use it. You don't have all these multiple versions of it and you can convert any signal to output to it easily.

Get rid of it from more expensive screens/monitors though.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG