Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 23-07-19, 01:00 PM
The Guvnor

Nvidia RTX 2080 Super Review

Following on from our reviews of the new RTX 2060 and 2070 Super, it's time to see what the RTX 2080 has in store.

Nvidia RTX 2080 Super Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 23-07-19, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

wow 4-9% more performance.... i am blown away.

Quote:
OC3D Enthusiast Award
i have seen 5 other reviews from tech youtubers today and all basically said "meh.. who asked for this".

ok it is 2-4 frames more in most games for the same money.

nothing to get excited about.
Old 23-07-19, 04:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Oh they finally released something better than a 1080TI that didn't cost $1000. That is incredibly unimpressive. You can keep this crap and stuff it where the green sun doesn't shine.

Old 23-07-19, 04:41 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
wow 4-9% more performance.... i am blown away.

i have seen 5 other reviews from tech youtubers today and all basically said "meh.. who asked for this".

ok it is 2-4 frames more in most games for the same money.

nothing to get excited about.
What is your point? It's for enthusiast only. Only they will want the fastest card. Hence Enthusiast award.

It's not exciting to you because you are not an enthusiast. Not sure what else you expected. What other tech tubers say doesn't mean jack diddly squat, most aren't enthusiast. BUT for enthusiast you may as well get it.
Old 23-07-19, 05:08 PM

I can get my Aorus 2080 to 14900mhz on the memory. I have heard these can achieve 16000mhz on the memory.

My currently clocks for the Aorus 2080 are 1940mhz core.

I wonder how the higher memory clocks will help with AA and AAF as we as possible higher core clocks ?
Old 24-07-19, 08:22 AM
News Guru

Seems the popular thing to do now is to be as negative as possible in reviews and use that to come across as "honest".

Seeing a lot of "oh, Nvidia released another GTX 1080 Ti", which I think is a bad take. Some games love the changes Turing offers, with RAGE 2, Wolfenstein 2, Forza Horizon 4 and Battlefield V acting as prime examples. It is very likely that Turing will age much better than Pascal moving forward (this will no doubt be blamed on Nvidia borking their drivers, as usual).

I still think high-end Turing is too expensive, but at least Nvidia has lowered their pricing and offered more performance at these prices.

Ultimately, Turing can look great or terrible depending on what games you test. That said, it's typically the newest, most technically capable games that offer the largest benefits.
Old 24-07-19, 05:47 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Seems the popular thing to do now is to be as negative as possible in reviews and use that to come across as "honest".

Seeing a lot of "oh, Nvidia released another GTX 1080 Ti", which I think is a bad take. Some games love the changes Turing offers, with RAGE 2, Wolfenstein 2, Forza Horizon 4 and Battlefield V acting as prime examples. It is very likely that Turing will age much better than Pascal moving forward (this will no doubt be blamed on Nvidia borking their drivers, as usual).

I still think high-end Turing is too expensive, but at least Nvidia has lowered their pricing and offered more performance at these prices.

Ultimately, Turing can look great or terrible depending on what games you test. That said, it's typically the newest, most technically capable games that offer the largest benefits.
Good comment.

I must admit I like seeing reviewers giving Nvidia a hard time. But the reality is, if you look at this objectively, it's an enthusiast GPU that is now marginally cheaper and faster than its predecessor, and that's an improvement. And there still isn't anything else to go with in that sector so you have to take it or leave it. Turing offers a lot of performance and advanced features. It's a big chip and requires big money. I don't mind people giving companies a hard time, but it does feel like some are doing it because it's the 'in' thing to do right now.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 24-07-19, 05:50 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Good comment.

I must admit I like seeing reviewers giving Nvidia a hard time. But the reality is, if you look at this objectively, it's an enthusiast GPU that is now marginally cheaper and faster than its predecessor, and that's an improvement. And there still isn't anything else to go with in that sector so you have to take it or leave it. Turing offers a lot of performance and advanced features. It's a big chip and requires big money. I don't mind people giving companies a hard time, but it does feel like some are doing it because it's the 'in' thing to do right now.
Agreed. It's for enthusiast and reviewers are looking at it from a non-ethusiast standpoint.
Old 24-07-19, 07:13 PM

In mid-August it'll be 3 years since I purchased my 1080. I'd like to see a bigger jump, but the 2080 Super appeals to me.

Old 24-07-19, 07:46 PM
OC3D Elite

I consider myself an enthusiast, sure I cannot afford new tech, but I am enthused by it.
This whole "super" thing is ludicrous and people are blindly buying into it.
What many seem to be oblivious to, or choose to ignore is the fact that these super cards are what you should have gotten in the first place, but nvidia being nvidia knew they could do this to make even more money.
Just as intel gave us incremental improvements and 4 cores for 10 years, because they could.
It is milking the market as much as possible and the only people these companies care about is the share holder and thus profit margins is and always will be at the forefront of everything they do.
AMD will do the same if they are in a such a commanding position.

RTX is a gimmick and an excuse to milk nothing more.

If you want the fastest and don't care what the cost is then go right ahead, fill your boots.
If I had shelled out £700 for a 2080 at launch, I would be mighty ed at this refresh.

Stop saying its fine to give a little for a lot more cash, that's plain stupid seriously.
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro