Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Corsair Customer Care Forum

Old 20-06-17, 04:38 PM
OC3D Elite

RMX PSU coil whine

I rma'd my buzzing RMX PSU and today I received my express rma replacement and its even worse. Is there an issue with RMX/I power supplies and coil whine as the second I googled it I found loads.

Its really frustrating as I paid for the advanced RMA and now I have to pay to ship one noisy PSU to the Netherlands and will have to do the same all over again for the second.

Not something I ever expected from a Corsair product

BeQuiet Darkbase Pro 900 | i7-7700K OC @ 5.10GHz | Custom water loop | ASUS MAximus Hero IX Z270 | Aurous Xtreme GTX 1080TI @ 2120mhz 12000mhz | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz CL15 | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 250GB Samsung EVO 850 | Corsair HX750I PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old 20-06-17, 04:53 PM
OC3D Elite

You could have replaced your Video card before the whole system.
Old 20-06-17, 05:26 PM
The Guvnor

Just to make you feel worse, Ive actually found that changing the graphics card can solve the problem in a lot of cases. I know it sounds weird but Ive had it happen here more than once (with different brands of PSU too)

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 20-06-17, 07:24 PM
OC3D Elite

This the third 1080ti I've installed had 2 reference and now I'm using the SC black edition the psu buzzed the same with all 3. I eventually found my gpu coil whine was caused by the sound blaster zx since removing it my gpu now has only very minor coil whine but the psu is still buzzing away and the new one they sent me was worse and insanely loud.

I can hand on heart say that this is the first time I have experienced coil whine from a PSU. Guess I was lucky

I've used corsair power supplies since they were pretty much released and have never experienced any kind of noise from a power supply and from reading Google this appears to be a well documented issue l. Not impressed really
BeQuiet Darkbase Pro 900 | i7-7700K OC @ 5.10GHz | Custom water loop | ASUS MAximus Hero IX Z270 | Aurous Xtreme GTX 1080TI @ 2120mhz 12000mhz | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz CL15 | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 250GB Samsung EVO 850 | Corsair HX750I PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old 21-02-18, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

I know this is an old thread but I've just RMA'd my RM1000X due to awful coil wine. Bit worried now

What's weird about mine is that's its really loud at idle but complete stops when I run prime and furmark simultaneously. Should be getting the replacement tomorrow, do fingers crossed!
Old 21-02-18, 08:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layer Cakes View Post
I know this is an old thread but I've just RMA'd my RM1000X due to awful coil wine. Bit worried now

What's weird about mine is that's its really loud at idle but complete stops when I run prime and furmark simultaneously. Should be getting the replacement tomorrow, do fingers crossed!
It's usually the other way around. However, do know that coil whine is usually caused by environment. It's so bad in my flat that I had to buy six ground loop isolators so that it didn't p**s through my headphones. It used to drive me crazy. I could even hear the hard drives spinning up ffs.

Old 22-02-18, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Brand new PSU, exactly the same noise

Well at least I known its not a fault!
Old 22-02-18, 12:57 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layer Cakes View Post
Brand new PSU, exactly the same noise

Well at least I known its not a fault!

If you swapped out the GPU youll probably find it goes away

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 22-02-18, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Never had any issues with my old coolermaster PSU on the same GPUs. Guess I'll just have to live with it until Nvidia finally gives us something new
Old 22-02-18, 02:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
I've had probably 6 GPUs at least in my flat since I moved in.. 7990, Pair of Titan Black, Fury X, Titan XM and Titan XP. And I get whine from somewhere no matter what. Only out of the hardware did my AW PSU whine (which if you remember is why you sent me my beloved AX 1200) but yeah I can sure hear it through my speakers and headphones.

It's a ground loop dude. Caused by either a bad ground or a loop. Shame you can't buy power ground loop isolators TBH. The wiring in my flat is as old as turd lol tbh.