Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 26-01-17, 07:29 PM
Old N Gold

Article by Gamers Nexus Showing Serious Signs of CPU Age

Gamers Nexus released an article and video comparing a 2500K to a 7700K in CPU-bound titles like Watch Dogs 2 at 1080p High settings using a GTX 1080. A variety of other CPU's were also tested including the 2600K and my 4670K. All older generation CPU's, even i7's, were showing major signs of age and were clearly struggling.

I said to myself, if RyZen didn't meet my criteria, I would wait another generation before upgrading. But no matter how RyZen performs and at what price point, I think I'm going to upgrade. I'm at 1440p so my GPU will be working a little harder, but the differences are still quite large and may not be addressable simply with an overclock.

It's a very good article and somewhat surprising, really. After the disappointment of 7700K and the seemingly never-ending wait for AMD, I think I'll be jumping up to i7-level performance for my next upgrade as it's clearly going to be worth the extra €100—or whatever it ends up being.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/27...or-2017/page-3

BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 26-01-17, 08:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Well, if you increase performance by ~10% per generation eventually there'll be quite a gap. 1.1^4 = 1.46, 46% increase in performance. Seems about right.
I'll still wait for at least one more generation, i don't play anything which isn't optimized to run at crazy framerates or simply is so old that anything remotely new runs it well with brute force anyways.
Old 26-01-17, 10:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Still think you should wait if only for the expected price reductions once Ryzen hits retail
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 26-01-17, 11:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Digitalfoundry have done a few different gaming tests, that show you could lose 30-40 fps in some games by having the 2500k
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: Gigabyte white 2070
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 27-01-17, 12:04 AM
OC3D Elite

The thing that gets me here is that the older CPUs still do minimums of 60 FPS. I guess if you like chasing the dragon then switching would be a bit easier. I've been gaming on a 3.5ghz Ivy for the past six weeks and it's been absolutely fine.

Old 27-01-17, 12:15 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
The thing that gets me here is that the older CPUs still do minimums of 60 FPS. I guess if you like chasing the dragon then switching would be a bit easier. I've been gaming on a 3.5ghz Ivy for the past six weeks and it's been absolutely fine.
But you are getting to the point where a gpu upgrade will be pointless or a lot less than you'd think it should be if you looked at Tom's reviews, you get a 1080 running games at 60fps when it should be running games at 110fps, you may as well save money and get a 1060
Old 27-01-17, 12:59 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
But you are getting to the point where a gpu upgrade will be pointless or a lot less than you'd think it should be if you looked at Tom's reviews, you get a 1080 running games at 60fps when it should be running games at 110fps, you may as well save money and get a 1060
There's definitely a huge chasm between a low end rig and a high end one.

I think I am getting old, because I haven't upgraded any of my GPUs in almost a year. I am still perfectly happy with how they all perform. As such I have not even considered the 10 series and tbh I wouldn't any way because I don't let people rip me off.

Same reason I have not bought any of the latest games. I am not paying £50 for a PC game that doesn't work properly. I wait for them to be £20 or under, and lately that wait is becoming longer and longer. Whatever, I still refuse to be ripped off so they can swivel lol.

I don't count FPS and I'm not a FPS spotter. So tbh? until I start to notice crawling and jerking I will not even think about replacing anything.

CPUs have stalled too. Even when AMD come along they won't be bringing anything truly new, just the same and hopefully a bit cheaper. If AMD don't bring the pain to GPUs this year they are going to stall soon too and become extremely boring (like most of what Intel sell these days).

Old 27-01-17, 07:20 AM
OC3D Elite

I know what you're saying, there was a time if I couldn't max graphic settings out and run a game at 60 fps it was time for a gpu upgrade, now I turn settings down, and tbh because of my eyesight and the improvement in game graphics I can't see the difference between ultra and medium settings (most of the time).
Old 27-01-17, 11:35 AM
Old N Gold

I don't count FPS either, and I'm not averse to turning settings down to reach a preferred playing experience. If a game runs smoothly and looks good, I'm happy. If it runs a little doggedly, I'll turn the more superfluous settings down until it becomes smooth. However, if I know that I'm losing a bunch of frames because of an inefficient architecture 'bottlenecking' me, that's annoying. This is not to suggest that others aren't enthusiasts or anything like that, but I'm passionate about my system being the best it can be. I'm passionate about keeping up to date with all the new hardware and keeping my PC running efficiently. By then it's not about gaming fluidity; it's about streamlining your build to the point that it makes architectural sense. If it costs an extra €100 to go from an i5 to an i7, for instance, and I'll gain a sufficient boost in performance, I'll do it, even if I have to skip on something else to achieve it.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 27-01-17, 06:07 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Just hope those Sandy users wait for Zen. Should be better cost/performance wise than Intel. Notice I said should. Not it will be.
Heck anything before Broadwell would probably be a good upgrade.
Thing I'm most worried about for people who are convinced using those old CPUs in that test, is if they are waiting for Zen, sure it may be amazing but I am worried that for games, a lot if specific optimization goes on for Intel CPUs. Could hurt it.