Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section

Old 21-09-15, 04:10 PM

Unhappy Windows 10 issue

Hi all.

Recently, I reinstalled my windows 7 OS as I have a new SSD, and after performing all updates to windows 7, I could finally "upgrade" to windows 10 Home edition.

It was going well for a while, and it was running very smooth... until one moment when I was on chrome and skype, and I went to close chrome but it remained in my taskbar for ages and wouldn't close, I was still communicating to friends in skype, but nothing would work except from the settings menu, system tray, notifications box, and task view button. the start menu wouldn't open, and I couldn't shutdown or restart.

The only fix that I know of at the moment, is to perform a hard restart and then everything would work fine... for a few minutes/hours (time would vary)

If anyone has any tips or advice, please help...

Old 21-09-15, 04:23 PM
OC3D Elite

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago, it turned out that my Windows 10 key had been blocked by MS (due to me changing hardware) so my copy of Windows was not activated and that is what was causing the problems.

I couldn't reactivate Windows using the upgrade key I got from my Windows 8.1 upgrade because it was locked to my hardware, so I had to do a fresh install. Although I did a fresh install with a key I bought from Reddit because I didn't want to have to go through this crap again just because I changed one piece of hardware. I only changed my GPU and that was from one 970 to another 970 as well.

Check if your copy of Windows is activated, that might be why, It was for me anyway.

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 21-09-15, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago, it turned out that my Windows 10 key had been blocked by MS (due to me changing hardware) so my copy of Windows was not activated and that is what was causing the problems.

I couldn't reactivate Windows using the upgrade key I got from my Windows 8.1 upgrade because it was locked to my hardware, so I had to do a fresh install. Although I did a fresh install with a key I bought from Reddit because I didn't want to have to go through this crap again just because I changed one piece of hardware. I only changed my GPU and that was from one 970 to another 970 as well.

Check if your copy of Windows is activated, that might be why, It was for me anyway.
Yeah, when I go into computer properties, it says "widows is activated" with the product ID posted below it.

Would it be worth trying to reset my install?
Old 21-09-15, 05:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzuda View Post
Would it be worth trying to reset my install?
Might as well give it a try if all else fails
The only thing that fixed it for me was doing a fresh install, I didn't bother trying resetting though because I was using a different Windows key.

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 21-09-15, 05:31 PM

there is an issue with Skype right now being down everywhere. Not sure if this is your issue or not, but check it out before you do anything to drastic.
Bitfenix Ghost - Asus Z87-Pro- [email protected] - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus GTX 770 OC DCII - Seasonic 860Platinum - Samsung 840Pro 256GB SSD - Samsung EVO 120GB SSD - WD Black 2TB HDD
Old 22-09-15, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
Might as well give it a try if all else fails
The only thing that fixed it for me was doing a fresh install, I didn't bother trying resetting though because I was using a different Windows key.
I tried that, and still no luck...

I'm not quite sure what to try :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalaz View Post
there is an issue with Skype right now being down everywhere. Not sure if this is your issue or not, but check it out before you do anything to drastic.
yeah the skype servers were down yesterday evening
Old 22-09-15, 08:05 PM
OC3D Elite

I tried using the free Win10 upgrade on 2 of my PCs.

It was total garbage when installed with things not working.

In the end I bought a couple of copies on USB sticks, clean install and no problems since.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 27-09-15, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
I tried using the free Win10 upgrade on 2 of my PCs.

It was total garbage when installed with things not working.

In the end I bought a couple of copies on USB sticks, clean install and no problems since.
I reverted back to windows 7... I could try the clean install method... does it ask for the windows activation key? if so... would I just use the one from my windows 7 disk?
Old 27-09-15, 10:34 PM
Hagrid Look-A-Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzuda View Post
I reverted back to windows 7... I could try the clean install method... does it ask for the windows activation key? if so... would I just use the one from my windows 7 disk?
It will give you the option to skip adding a product key, skip it the activate once Windows is installed. Worked fine on mine for a clean install.
Old 28-09-15, 08:10 AM
OC3D Elite

As above post said just skip activation and you will be fine and dandy

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Tags
freezing, windows 10