Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 01-01-15, 07:26 PM

CPU Upgrade Dilemma

Hi guys,

So I've been rocking the amazing, benchmark breaking 1090T for about 4 years now and the competition has just about caught up so it's time to upgrade. /sarcasm

Ok seriously, I bought this chip just before the sandy bridge revolution and have regretted it ever since. I can no longer withstand how bad this performs compared to the i7 range so it's time to upgrade.

The problem is I can't make my mind up

I mainly use my rig for 80% gaming and 20% game development (Visual studio, UE4, Maya, PS, Maya, etc). Really not sure about budget as I'll pay for a set up that warrants the price.

I originally wanted an X99 setup but the cost of DDR4 is pretty high (I'd need 16GB minimum) when coupled with the cost of the CPU/Mobo.

The next option is X79 - I could save on RAM cost but it's been out a while.

Or do I go Z97 - cheaper but I lose some cores.

So what setup would you go for (CPU/Mobo/RAM) inc. price?

Old 01-01-15, 07:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Judging by the fact that you even made this thread makes me thing you're looking for confirmation that you don't need to spend the money on X79/X99.

But even then, a Haswell (refresh) i7 is going to be a massive step up from your old CPU and be plenty for you 20% of productivity. They're still hyperthreaded quad cores anyway.

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 01-01-15, 07:33 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

What about getting an 8350 for now and start putting money aside for x99 in 6 months when ddr4 will be cheaper?
Old 01-01-15, 07:36 PM
OC3D Elite

For gaming: 4690K. Need extra cores? 4790K. Would only consider X99 for a workstation / video renderer build.
Old 01-01-15, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
Judging by the fact that you even made this thread makes me thing you're looking for confirmation that you don't need to spend the money on X79/X99.

But even then, a Haswell (refresh) i7 is going to be a massive step up from your old CPU and be plenty for you 20% of productivity. They're still hyperthreaded quad cores anyway.
I think I'm actually subconsciously wanting confirmation to go X99, i.e. is it worth the money. I mean this is probably the cheapest X99 config worth getting and that is nearly £700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelosouvlakia View Post
What about getting an 8350 for now and start putting money aside for x99 in 6 months when ddr4 will be cheaper?
I've thought about waiting for prices to come down, but if I was I'd leave my machine as is. The mobo is fooked and I need a reinstall so it's not worth it unless I fully upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davva2004 View Post
For gaming: 4690K. Need extra cores? 4790K. Would only consider X99 for a workstation / video renderer build.
Yeah true, however, one of the areas of game dev that I personally research is multithreading, just to throw a curve ball in. I also anticipate more games to use more cores in the future.
Old 01-01-15, 07:50 PM

I was looking at this and then saw your post . so I thought id post this and hope its helpful ..........http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-...-i7-4790k-plus

Im considering this myself to replace my current AMD system as the deal isn't to bad .
Old 01-01-15, 07:53 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Or you can wait for broadwell....
Old 01-01-15, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelosouvlakia View Post
Or you can wait for broadwell....
The waiting game never ends though..

EDIT: Nevermind, went with X99 instead