Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 24-07-14, 11:03 AM

Help with screen crashes!!!

Hey guys, i was hoping that i could pilfer some advice and wasn't sure exactly where to put this, so i put it here.

i think my GPU may have a problem. i finished my build about 4 or 5 months ago now, and within the first month i noticed that sometimes after i finished gaming (and it was only if i had been gaming) and went to watch a video online that the display would sometimes crash, turning white with lines of colour and jittering. i wasn't sure what it was, but the problem only occurred if i was running dual screens (pc and tv) at the same time. anyway, i reinstalled my graphics drivers, firefox and all flash players (adobe flash etc.). that seemed to solve the problem, so i mostly forgot about it.

however, over the past few weeks a new problem has started becoming frequent. sometimes after stressing the GPU, the screen would crash when attempting to A: turn on the second screen or B: turn said screen off. the problem goes away (at least temporarily) after a shutdown, and in all other respects the pc runs fine until something "triggers" this screen crash.

i took some photos of it while it was happening most recently. i've also got a video which shows it better if any one can suggest a way to share it?

anyway, my question is A: what is most likely to be the problem and B: what should i do about it? any help would be great!!

Photos:

NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed - Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H - Core I5 [email protected] - NZXT Kraken X60 - XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR Black 8GB - Corsair AX860i - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz - Samsung 840 EVO 250gb
Old 24-07-14, 11:34 AM
Suspended By Request of Police

Looks like a bad memory chip on gpu. But have you tried using a diffrent cable to connect your pc to your monitor?
Old 24-07-14, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
Looks like a bad memory chip. But have you tried using a diffrent cable to connect your pc to your monitor?
ahh, no i havent? i didn't think of that. i figured that if it were the cable, or monitor itself then the problem would be less "selective". by that i mean that after the problem starts i can turn off the tv and watch the main screen crash perfectly on cue, and then turn it back on ans watch it become perfectly stable again. the video shows it perfectly, is there any way to share that?
NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed - Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H - Core I5 [email protected] - NZXT Kraken X60 - XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR Black 8GB - Corsair AX860i - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz - Samsung 840 EVO 250gb
Old 24-07-14, 01:28 PM
Bettyswollocks

Could be many things but it sure as hell screams my GPU is poorly, over heating VRAM, Overclock gone south, bad drivers, corrupt drivers. Could you run GPU-Z and monitor the sensors for there load outs? Also I'd run Validation on your drivers.

EDIT: Run SFC from the startmenu.
Old 24-07-14, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
Could be many things but it sure as hell screams my GPU is poorly, over heating VRAM, Overclock gone south, bad drivers, corrupt drivers. Could you run GPU-Z and monitor the sensors for there load outs? Also I'd run Validation on your drivers.

EDIT: Run SFC from the startmenu.
alright, so sfc didnt find any issues, and i'm updating my GPU drivers now (im at 14.6, updating to 14.7, so not too far behind). what should i be monitoring on GPU-Z, and should i be monitoring it under load or at idle?

i can tell you from monitoring since i built the PC that the GPU itself never breaks 70 degrees while gaming, but i've never monitored the vram temps too closely
Old 24-07-14, 02:09 PM
Bettyswollocks

Ok I can't show you with mine because it's fried, but here's a Google image I "Borrowed" and edited.

Open 2 instances of GPU-Z and set one to record Minimum and set the other to Maximum and just monitor the load outs on both. Especially the Temps.
Old 24-07-14, 02:17 PM
OC3D Crew

I take it that the GPU is clean and not clogged up with dirt and dust etc? to me it is screaming heat and GPU
Old 24-07-14, 02:26 PM
born in a.....

Sounds like heat to me. I have the exact same card so when I get the chance I'll post some figures so we can compare to see if something is immediately wrong.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 24-07-14, 02:28 PM
The Webmaster

that looks like a duff/dead/fried GPU memory issue fella.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 25-07-14, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
Ok I can't show you with mine because it's fried, but here's a Google image I "Borrowed" and edited.

Open 2 instances of GPU-Z and set one to record Minimum and set the other to Maximum and just monitor the load outs on both. Especially the Temps.
it seems i was wrong, this fan profile at least lets it get to 72 degrees. anyway, here are the readings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouWhat View Post
I take it that the GPU is clean and not clogged up with dirt and dust etc? to me it is screaming heat and GPU
yeah i keep my case fairly clean, or at least try to

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Sounds like heat to me. I have the exact same card so when I get the chance I'll post some figures so we can compare to see if something is immediately wrong.
thanks, good to have a working basline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
that looks like a duff/dead/fried GPU memory issue fella.
if thats so, then any idea how ASUS handle warranties?

Tags
crashing, help please