Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 08-05-19, 11:05 PM
AMD Enthusiast

If you want to believe it'll be a $700+ console sure. I however think it'll be a $450 at most console. It won't be more than 20GB at that price.

Old 08-05-19, 11:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Why would a few GBs of GDDR6 increase the price by hundreds? It was about 10USD per 1GB chip for low quantity orders at the start of the year and that's usually about 30% more than the wholesale price, but consoles usually get particularly good deals on hardware because they're guaranteed long term sources of baseline income for the manufacturers, it'd probably increase the BOM cost by at most $50 to use 24GB rather than 16GB GDDR6 if it wasn't absolute top speed stuff, and that's not accounting for the fact they could just set 4GB as cheaper non-unified DDR4 for system/CPU only tasks building on the PS4pro if the extra memory controller logic was worth the cost reduction.

Goat of Duty(Goat deathmatch game) is having a closed beta this weekend https://www.pcgamer.com/goat-of-duty...ut-with-goats/
Old 09-05-19, 03:31 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Sure it cost $10USD per chip for the slowest and cheapest solution
$10x24GB. $240 on memory alone. Not going to happen.

All that math is based off the 8Gb stacks. It's more for the full 16Gb stacks from Samsung. It will have to be 16Gb stacks for space concerns for a console. It would probably be around $200 for memory accounting for volume sales and whatever else they do.

One 16Gb is 2GB of memory if its $20 per stack and you want 24GB. Well $20x12 is $240. Take that discount and whatever else and it's probably around $180-200 depending on the deal struck. That's quite an investment. Add in all the custom R&D for the CPU, GPU, OS development, integrating a unified memory structure, Wifi/Ethernet, blu-ray player, casing, fans, custom cooling solution, motherboard designs, and whatever else they add it really doesn't give much room for a sub $500 price point. Nearly half the cost is for memory, which the console won't even be able to use to it's full extent with the power it has. It's more than needed. Devs would end up using it mostly as a cache as it would take forever before they can properly utilize such a vast amount of ram where it's actually needed. Even modern games using the latest and greatest tech won't consume more than 10GB. On a platform where you can efficiently use memory, 12-18GB is a vast amount.
Old 09-05-19, 09:10 AM
OC3D Elite

No one actually pays that though beyond 2000 chips(Ultra low volume). Those prices are about 30% over no deal wholesale price. They'll pay far closer to 5USD per GB and decreasing sharply over time like with their GDDR5 supply. Basically the BOM cost of the memory is probably about $125, which is in the same ballpark as the last consoles. Remember the PS4 sold only slightly in the black. ~$380 manufacturing cost and $399 rrp, around a quarter of which was spent on memory. If it's mixed, 18GB GDDR6 + 6GB DDR4 or similar, that could bring costs down even further.

Many modern games can use more than 10gb on the GPU alone at 4K, and that's without raytracing. If this was a 1080p console then sure I'd agree with you, but modern 4K games are already being strained under 8GB VRAM limits and RT can double memory use.

Current gen games have to absolutely abuse the HDD because of all the streaming to main memory that has to occur with modern world sizes and in some case it becomes a hard limiter on in game movement speed or similar.
Old 09-05-19, 01:29 PM
OC3D Elite

I have a feeling this console is going to be $600+.

Given the hardware it packs if the rumours are true? I think that could be somewhat of a bargain.

Old 09-05-19, 02:20 PM
OC3D Elite

I think they could do $500, for the PS4 the estimated BOM cost on launch was about $188 for DRAM + APU, $37 for the HDD and $123 for everything else (PSU, motherboard, cooling, optical drive, ect), for about $340 without controller & accessories, if they spent 50% more on the APU + DRAM + HDD, so about $340 for those parts, then even if everything else was still $123(Which they won't be given all the hardware revisions the PS4 has had across botth shells to reduce costs) they'd still have room left over for accessories and make a similar margin on the early hardware and a guaranteed growing margin over time with room for price cuts, because the supply deals with AMD are usually front-loaded (AMD makes more profit on the console than Sony early in the sales cycle but this margin tapers off).
Old 09-05-19, 04:47 PM
OC3D Elite

I think the next consoles will be somewhere between the £500 to £650 range, any higher than that, I think will push a lot more people to the PC as for not much more you can get a PC that will match the performance of the consoles but offer so much more potential.
Old 09-05-19, 05:05 PM
OC3D Crew

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-48214293

U.S might be banning loot boxes and microtransactions. I hope they do and the rest of the world follows suit to destroy this blight
Old 09-05-19, 05:18 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post

U.S might be banning loot boxes and microtransactions. I hope they do and the rest of the world follows suit to destroy this blight

The publishers who push all this toxic micro transaction and loot box poison will find another way to push their BS, They'll end up calling them "small downloadable content" or some such non sense.
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 09-05-19, 05:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post

Loot boxes maybe, but I dont they will win with microtransactions. Its not gambling after all.

Big publishers will probably lobby together and say that removing MT will result in mass scale layoffs.