Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 02-09-18, 12:54 PM
Old N Gold

That's excellent to hear. I imagine the 7nm GPU this year will be Vega 20 Pro or whatever it's going to be called. Still, that could be a sign of what's to come from Radeon, and even Zen 2.

BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 02-09-18, 03:25 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Because of Nvidia strategically planning there RTX event very near AMDs conference call, this slipped by.

http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/news...ip-focused-7nm

AMD CEO Lisa Su confirms 7nm GPU launch later this year. Navi is coming! Although we do not know if it's a Professional launch of Gamer launch.. or both
AMD revealed 7nm Vega earlier this year, which was always planned for a 2018 launch. It is targeted at machine learning, not gaming. Not sure we will see 7nm Vega on the gaming side.

Not new information. 7nm GPU this year does not mean Navi. 7nm Vega will release to the machine learning market first.
Old 02-09-18, 04:58 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
AMD revealed 7nm Vega earlier this year, which was always planned for a 2018 launch. It is targeted at machine learning, not gaming. Not sure we will see 7nm Vega on the gaming side.

Not new information. 7nm GPU this year does not mean Navi. 7nm Vega will release to the machine learning market first.
No. Nothing was confirmed for this year. Nobody knows what AMDs plans are. You are just assuming a lot here. You forget Lisa said they are open to releasing in all markets. Considering AI and ML are the way forward as they are the biggest and most lucrative markets it makes sense to bring it to games as well. It was always going to happen. Just look at Turing. Nobody expected it to have Tensor cores. Everybody said Volta won't be coming because it has HPC functionality. They were wong.
Old 02-09-18, 07:07 PM
News Guru

Quote:
No. Nothing was confirmed for this year. Nobody knows what AMDs plans are. You are just assuming a lot here. You forget Lisa said they are open to releasing in all markets. Considering AI and ML are the way forward as they are the biggest and most lucrative markets it makes sense to bring it to games as well. It was always going to happen. Just look at Turing. Nobody expected it to have Tensor cores. Everybody said Volta won't be coming because it has HPC functionality. They were wong.
Ok, from AMD's own Q2 2018 financial results, as released on June 25th, 2018.

Quote:
At Computex 2018, AMD showcased the next-generation of leadership CPU and GPU products including the first public demonstrations of:

-The 12nm “Zen+”-based 2nd Generation Ryzen ThreadripperTM CPU, featuring an industry-leading 32-cores and 64-threads of HEDT computing power, scheduled to launch in Q3 2018.
- The 7nm Radeon “Vega” architecture-based GPU for servers and workstations that is planned to launch later in 2018.
Yeah, nothing was confirmed for this year... "planned to launch later in 2018" isn't a clear indication at all.

AMD can easily release a gaming version of 7nm Vega, the question is whether or not it is worth it for them in 2018. It all depends on how soon Navi is, which is unknowable outside of AMD.

As for Volta, the Titan V isn't exactly a consumer-oriented product. Volta won't see a consumer GTX-grade gaming release. Nvidia has moved on.

As for Turing, Wraith can probably tell you how many times I told him that I expected Tensor cores in future Nvidia gaming cards on Discord. Ever since GDC 2018 we have known that Nvidia could use them for de-noising ray-traced images. There is a reason why Volta was used for early RTX demos instead of Pascal, despite the fact that Volta lacks RT cores.
Old 03-09-18, 04:54 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Ok, from AMD's own Q2 2018 financial results, as released on June 25th, 2018.

Yeah, nothing was confirmed for this year... "planned to launch later in 2018" isn't a clear indication at all.

AMD can easily release a gaming version of 7nm Vega, the question is whether or not it is worth it for them in 2018. It all depends on how soon Navi is, which is unknowable outside of AMD.

As for Volta, the Titan V isn't exactly a consumer-oriented product. Volta won't see a consumer GTX-grade gaming release. Nvidia has moved on.

As for Turing, Wraith can probably tell you how many times I told him that I expected Tensor cores in future Nvidia gaming cards on Discord. Ever since GDC 2018 we have known that Nvidia could use them for de-noising ray-traced images. There is a reason why Volta was used for early RTX demos instead of Pascal, despite the fact that Volta lacks RT cores.
Well considering the link I gave says Navi and not Vega, I'd say I was right in thinking Navi is coming this year.
Old 03-09-18, 05:28 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Well considering the link I gave says Navi and not Vega, I'd say I was right in thinking Navi is coming this year.
"AMD’s next major milestone is the introduction of our upcoming 7nm product portfolio, including the initial products with our second generation “Zen 2” CPU core and our new “Navi” GPU architecture. We have already taped out multiple 7nm products at TSMC, including our first 7nm GPU planned to launch later this year and our first 7nm server CPU that we plan to launch in 2019."

That reads to me like it could be Navi OR Vega. The article never mentions Vega, but the part in bold suggests the first 7nm GPU—which we know is Vega because we've already seen that demoed—will be Vega 20 since it's the only 7nm GPU that's announced as being 'functional'.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 05-09-18, 11:24 AM
OC3D Elite

Survivor victim of the jacksonville shooting is suing EA for negligence.

Source

edit* seems there are multiple parties all prepping to do the same.

Also Kitguru has an article with proposed leaked benchmarks for 2080ti in games

https://www.kitguru.net/components/g...ance-in-games/ interesting results if true. Yet.. very disappointing. With that said. I doubt they are legit. Battlefield V shows yet has the BETA even been released?
Old 05-09-18, 11:27 AM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Survivor victim of the jacksonville shooting is suing EA for negligence.

Source

edit* seems there are multiple parties all prepping to do the same.
Nothing but a cash grab by opportunists, It's not the publishers fault that a psychopath was at the venue.
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 05-09-18, 11:37 AM
OC3D Elite

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-amd-n...dmap-cost-zen/

Excellent article there. They reckon Navi is for the PS5..

Old 05-09-18, 12:08 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Nothing but a cash grab by opportunists, It's not the publishers fault that a psychopath was at the venue.
Yeah, I'm not sure how EA are responsible for this, to the point of calling them negligent and suing them for it. It's basically saying it's their fault. That's highly accusatory and damning. There will be murder or crimes with or without higher security from event organisers. The escalation theory would start to take effect, where if there were multiple security cards at the doors, the gunman might find a vantage point instead. It's why I think the argument that giving everyone guns would protect them from mass shootings is like giving a paracetamol to a patient with a tumour. It's a pointless escapade because murderers will find other means to commit their crimes. The problem will always be there until you get to the root of it, which is the human condition. Not tighter security, not guns, not bullet proof glass.