Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 20-03-14, 04:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
clock increases are rumored, could potentially be higher (doubt it though)

The better TIM etc will allow us to push volts a bit more while still being able to cool the bloody things, which should make higher overclocks more achievable on the average chip (if you push the volts).

It also makes a water cooling loop a more attractive option, considering since Ivy you couldn't push the volts high enough to need it (before you hit the CPUs volt limit due to the TIM).
I know that dude but it's not going to make much difference to the average user, it's only going to benefit people who are pushing high overclocks for benching.
100mhz wont make much of a difference, you can get that just by overclocking.

It seems like Intel are just releasing another load of CPUs with no real improvements other than efficiency. The last time we had CPUs that were a game changer was Sandybridge. It would be good to see Intel give us something worth upgrading for rather than side grading for better efficiency.

Add on top that you need to buy a Z97 motherboard for these CPUs as well, then unless there is anything other than better TIM and a 100mhz clock increase, it's not really worth it unless you are building a new rig.

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 20-03-14, 04:13 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
I know that dude but it's not going to make much difference to the average user, it's only going to benefit people who are pushing high overclocks for benching.

It seems like Intel are just releasing another load of CPUs with no real improvements other than efficiency. The last time we had CPUs that were a game changer was Sandybridge. It would be good to see Intel give us something worth upgrading for rather than side grading for better efficiency.

Add on top that you need to buy a Z97 motherboard for these CPUs as well, then unless there is anything other than better TIM and a 100mhz clock increase, it's not really worth it unless you are building a new rig.
Agreed, same can be said for all refreshed like this, trinity to richland being another recent example of the same thing (clock wise, not TIM of course).

Potentially motherboard manufacturers could get them to support current z87 motherboards with a simple bios update, but that depends if intel has done something to negate that or not. The 9-series and 8 series have got the same cpu pin interface.
Old 20-03-14, 04:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

well, we already knew that nothing game changing will happen until skylake for the average PC user. broadwell is just a refresh and this will be a special chip for overclockers, not an entire new family.
Old 20-03-14, 06:01 PM

This may seem a bit of a noob question but I've never really understood chipsets completely, But I'm assuming the new Z97 Chipset will be compatible with the current range of Haswell CPU's am I right?

Old 20-03-14, 06:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony1995 View Post
This may seem a bit of a noob question but I've never really understood chipsets completely, But I'm assuming the new Z97 Chipset will be compatible with the current range of Haswell CPU's am I right?
not guaranteed. the chipset is not made for haswell CPUs, but because broadwell and haswell are so similar it will most likely still work.
Old 22-03-14, 07:10 PM

I see, I'll hold out and see what happens before buying anything then.

Old 23-03-14, 03:47 AM
OC3D Elite

I see no compelling reason to upgrade my socket 2011 system. Heck, I could have kept my i7 920 running at 4Ghz + and still been happy. But I do like how Intel is apparently listening to complaints. No sane person WANTS to delid CPUs.

Tags
devil's canyon, haswell, intel, overclocking, tim