Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 29-01-13, 12:25 AM

Maybe picking a new motherboard

I got an email today saying the ASUS ROG Formula Thunderfx shipment has been delayed 2-3 weeks and they are wandering if I would like to wait or refund money toward a different board. The regular ROG Formula is available so was leaning toward that because I love the ASUS brand I own several AOG products which I love and never had a problem with. Or I was looking at other motherboard options. Several things I would like in a mother board are z77 platform is a must, at least 2 way sli I don’t think I will ever go 3-4 way so don’t need to pay for that. Needs to be able to fit the NH-D14 for tempory cooling until after I move to the states in 6 months. Great at overclocking, I have worked with the ROG Maximus before and loved the overclocking abilities of it. As of now I do not have any devices that work on USB 3.0 so I do not need that many but several will be nice. The motherboard will be running the 3770k CPU. Decent warranty and reliability is always great. I have been running an ASUS mobo for 6 years on my current desktop and has never failed me. Some of the motherboards I have been thinking about are listed below. Onboard Thermocoolnig is nice but not a must.

ROG Formula
Pros- From asus and ROG brand. Great overclocking, great colors, good reviews on board sound, onboard thermocooling

Cons-Top of price bracket, but you get what you pay for, location of 8 pin connector is not the best I have read problems with the switch 810 case using push pull rads fans being a pain with the 8 pin at top of board.

Gigabyte G1 Sniper
Pros--Colors are not that bad can live with, Location of 8 pin will be better for switch 810, seems to have good overclocking

Cons-Ext ATX with 4 way sli is way more than I need and will just take up space in my case, no onboard thermo cooling. It last the RAM only being able to support up to 2600 may not be a problem now but in the future if ram gets faster.

Asrock OC Formula
Pros Decent price, onboard thermocooling seems to have good overclocking

Cons--Not big on the colors, Mixed reviews seems like a lot of bad boards coming out of the factory, bad 8 pin location like the asus

These are the only 3 I have started research on will look at some MSI boards today not sure how I feel about biostar or any other brands. If I have missed a great board please feel free to let me know I will check it out and open to any suggestions.

Old 29-01-13, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercrim View Post
I got an email today saying the ASUS ROG Formula Thunderfx shipment has been delayed 2-3 weeks and they are wandering if I would like to wait or refund money toward a different board. The regular ROG Formula is available so was leaning toward that because I love the ASUS brand I own several AOG products which I love and never had a problem with. Or I was looking at other motherboard options. Several things I would like in a mother board are z77 platform is a must, at least 2 way sli I don’t think I will ever go 3-4 way so don’t need to pay for that. Needs to be able to fit the NH-D14 for tempory cooling until after I move to the states in 6 months. Great at overclocking, I have worked with the ROG Maximus before and loved the overclocking abilities of it. As of now I do not have any devices that work on USB 3.0 so I do not need that many but several will be nice. The motherboard will be running the 3770k CPU. Decent warranty and reliability is always great. I have been running an ASUS mobo for 6 years on my current desktop and has never failed me. Some of the motherboards I have been thinking about are listed below. Onboard Thermocoolnig is nice but not a must.

ROG Formula
Pros- From asus and ROG brand. Great overclocking, great colors, good reviews on board sound, onboard thermocooling

Cons-Top of price bracket, but you get what you pay for, location of 8 pin connector is not the best I have read problems with the switch 810 case using push pull rads fans being a pain with the 8 pin at top of board.

Gigabyte G1 Sniper
Pros--Colors are not that bad can live with, Location of 8 pin will be better for switch 810, seems to have good overclocking

Cons-Ext ATX with 4 way sli is way more than I need and will just take up space in my case, no onboard thermo cooling. It last the RAM only being able to support up to 2600 may not be a problem now but in the future if ram gets faster.

Asrock OC Formula
Pros Decent price, onboard thermocooling seems to have good overclocking

Cons--Not big on the colors, Mixed reviews seems like a lot of bad boards coming out of the factory, bad 8 pin location like the asus

These are the only 3 I have started research on will look at some MSI boards today not sure how I feel about biostar or any other brands. If I have missed a great board please feel free to let me know I will check it out and open to any suggestions.
RAM will only get faster when DDR4 releases. The board won't support DDR4 so it's a nonissue about RAM speeds.

The MSI Mpower is a beautiful board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130660
Old 29-01-13, 08:47 AM
OC3D Elite

I was about to recommend the same board as Assume although he's beaten me to it , if I were to buy a new board today I would in all probability purchase an MSI Z77 MPower.
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=MSI MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 29-01-13, 10:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
for the Mpower! it's the board I would buy now if i had some spare cash
My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero, Ryzen 3800X, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
Old 29-01-13, 12:11 PM

ok guys i will check it out and great point about DDR4 anymore suggestions are is everyone agrees with the MSI

Tags
1155, asrock, asus, gigabyte, mobo