Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 13-09-19, 02:50 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
A lot of it is the increases in core counts and I/O features. As much as we can say that X470 can technically support PCIe 4.0, there is a difference between getting official support and offering it as an out of spec option. Then there are things like the power requirements of more cores and beefing up the memory side for faster and faster DIMMs.

Beyond that, BIOS updates have become a big deal. It wasn't long ago when nobody recommended updating your BIOS unless it was absolutely necessary. Now BIOS' get a lot more engineering time, and that has a cost. Those LED lights etc also cost money too, which is a shame...
I know, since my early teens I've been able to keep up with (mostly) top end hardware on PC. Just feels like the last 5 years the PC market has grown popular and as such the margins have grown.
I am going to struggle to update my rig these days without being in the position of this is not going to last very long.
i7 3770 has kept me going for quite a while, I doubt that if I spent to get the 9700K or 3800X (which are both considerably higher priced than the last CPU I brought for myself) that it will still be a reasonable CPU in 2025. when you throw in that boards have more than doubled and Nvidia are really jacking their prices up, I've almost been priced out of a passion. Though my Steam library is like a pot commitment

Old 13-09-19, 03:31 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
I know, since my early teens I've been able to keep up with (mostly) top end hardware on PC. Just feels like the last 5 years the PC market has grown popular and as such the margins have grown.
I am going to struggle to update my rig these days without being in the position of this is not going to last very long.
i7 3770 has kept me going for quite a while, I doubt that if I spent to get the 9700K or 3800X (which are both considerably higher priced than the last CPU I brought for myself) that it will still be a reasonable CPU in 2025. when you throw in that boards have more than doubled and Nvidia are really jacking their prices up, I've almost been priced out of a passion. Though my Steam library is like a pot commitment
I get you. At least DDR4 prices and SSD prices are down though.

We know the next-gen consoles will be 8 Zen 2 cores, so at least that is something to go on.

TBH, we are getting a lot more for our money than we did 3ish years ago. The problem is now that the pace of technological innovation has increased, the lifespan of new parts has decreased. Skylake was great at the time, but the money that went into the i7-6700K now buys people a lot more CPU.
Old 13-09-19, 03:58 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I just hope the next-gen consoles and their 16 threads will really push more games to be multi-threaded. Some games on PC still aren't well with more than 4 cores and the brute force of CPU power these days is just masking those deficiencies.
Old 13-09-19, 04:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah in terms of raw single threaded performance I don't think we're going to get much better till 2021, it looks like Intels top end performance for desktop will still have to come from Skylake on 14nm through 2020 and 7nm+ Zen3 will probably just pip it by a hair, but we'll probably get pretty reasonable gains in price/perf and price/core across the board instead.