Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > MSI UK Forum

Old 21-02-17, 08:10 AM

Crossfire help please.....

Hello everyone.

Please could someone assist me in which graphics cards are compatible with my
MSI R9 290X 8gb gaming card so I could run two in crossfire.

Ideally I would buy another card as above but I'm interested in which cards are compatible with each other.

Does it have to be another R9 or R? And 290 / 290X or 390/X etc.

Thank you in advance....

Regards Gazza

Old 21-02-17, 08:37 AM
OC3D Elite

Really? don't waste your time. Sell one and buy a better card.

Old 21-02-17, 09:05 AM
OC3D Elite

To answer your question the 290/290X and the 390/390X cards will work with your card in CF as they are the same architecture "Hawaii". Having said that take Aliens advice and buy a better card AMD's Vega will be released by June and your 8 GB 290X will do until then I have a 4GB 290X Vapor X that runs latest games just fine fella

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 21-02-17, 09:09 AM
News Guru

Right now SLI and crossfire is in a strange stage, without much support in mainstream gaming titles.

The best bet is always to go for a powerful single GPU when you can.

I would wait for Vega to see if it decreased the prices of existing GPU, as at a minimum it may bring some extra used 390X or 290X GPUs to the second-hand market and should allow you to get one at a lower price.
Old 21-02-17, 11:48 PM

Thank you for your replies,much appreciated somehow I don't think I will be in a position to get the new Amd Vega card.
Just looking to see if I could crossfire cards that are possibly within my budget.
Thanks again
Regards Gaz
Old 22-02-17, 02:44 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza_65 View Post
Thank you for your replies,much appreciated somehow I don't think I will be in a position to get the new Amd Vega card.
Just looking to see if I could crossfire cards that are possibly within my budget.
Thanks again
Regards Gaz
I'd also say get the best single card you can afford, SLI/CF is hit and miss.
That being said, as WYP suggested, when Vega is released you might find more 290/390 cards on the market and at lower prices as other people upgrade themselves so either way it would be worthwhile waiting even if you don't end up going for a Vega GPU.

Ryzen 5 2600X -- EVGA GTX 1070 SC -- 16GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200mhz DDR4
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon -- Corsair Force MP300 240GB
Seasonic Focus Gold 750 -- Phanteks P350X

Old 22-02-17, 05:51 AM

Id go on a bit of a different tangent, if all we have heard about vega is true then you could be in a position soon that you could get a powerful vega without alot of vram and then use the vram on the card you have now to boost it, so not specifically crossfire but the vega should be able to use the r9 vram as its vram.

But all in all i would sit on your hands, any money you have now for another gpu just save it and add to it as you can over time and then see how it actually will work.
Old 22-02-17, 08:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza_65 View Post
Thanks again
Regards Gaz
Honestly fella Crossfire now is a just a total bust.

About a year ago (or more) I decided to buy a second Fury X. It was awful. Far worse than one card. Most games released lately do not work with it at all. In fact, you will actually lose performance over one card. And to top it off all of the games that did work suffered from terrible flickering on the textures. AMD continually said they would put it right but driver after driver and nothing changed.

I sold one of the Fury X for quite a loss (I paid £350 sold it for £250) and vowed that until devs could be bothered to code for DX12 (because Microsoft have left it up to them) I would never run multiple GPUs again.

It's not that much better on Nvidia either. SLi is just as poor because devs are not even bothering to add in any sort of multiple GPU support at all.

The reason? well basically these new console "ports" (they're not ports but that's what they are known as) require far less work than older games to get them working on a PC. As such devs are doing the absolute minimum they can (they would, time is money).

Before when they had no choice but to code for a PC API they could add it in as they were working. But now? no point.

I would sell what you got and save for something like a 1070.