Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 22-01-14, 09:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post
but the card isnt made for gaming, or am i being n00bish, its the workstation card price bracket, i know this wont put people off buying them for gaming, but other than the frame buffer i don't see how this is more suitable than the 780Ti or is that the point, because gaming 3x1440p would mean you'd need a Titan for the frame buffer size, this obviously supersedes it.

The reason i say this, is because nVidia doesnt allow DP on non-workstation cards or have i got my wires mixed up?
The Titan and Titan blacks are pretty much cheap compute cards with the added bonus of being able to game on them

Old 23-01-14, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
The Titan and Titan blacks are pretty much cheap compute cards with the added bonus of being able to game on them
Maybe time to sell my two 780s for the Titan BE edition as I run 1440p resolutions and gaming is past time for me other using my computer as a work station
Corsair Obsidian 900D, Corsair AX1200i, Asus Rampage Extreme IV, Intel 4930k, Corsair Vengance Pro Black 32GB 1600Mhz, Asus GTX 780 Direct CUII OC 2-Way SLI, Samsung Pro 2x 256GB SSD (RAID 0), Western Digital Cavier Black 2TB, Corsair H100i, Noctua Fans, Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM, 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2212HM, Corsair Vengance K95 & M95, Logitech Z501, Triton Pro+ 5.1 Surround, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Old 23-01-14, 10:09 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRy1993 View Post
Maybe time to sell my two 780s for the Titan BE edition as I run 1440p resolutions and gaming is past time for me other using my computer as a work station
You'd be better off waiting for Maxwell
Old 23-01-14, 10:13 AM

Quote:
You'd be better off waiting for Maxwell
To be fair I should just be patient and wait till my cards and not good enough anymore but I have a constant upgrade bug
Corsair Obsidian 900D, Corsair AX1200i, Asus Rampage Extreme IV, Intel 4930k, Corsair Vengance Pro Black 32GB 1600Mhz, Asus GTX 780 Direct CUII OC 2-Way SLI, Samsung Pro 2x 256GB SSD (RAID 0), Western Digital Cavier Black 2TB, Corsair H100i, Noctua Fans, Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM, 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2212HM, Corsair Vengance K95 & M95, Logitech Z501, Triton Pro+ 5.1 Surround, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Old 23-01-14, 10:29 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRy1993 View Post
To be fair I should just be patient and wait till my cards and not good enough anymore but I have a constant upgrade bug
For your own sanities sake try and get away from this man made "upgrade bug".

I now have this mind set, CPU and motherboard shall be upgraded every 2nd release i.e 2700K --> 4700K etc...

GPU shall be upgraded every 2nd release also, Nvidia 5xx series, 7xx series, 9xx series etc...

This way you actually see a noticeable performance increase and in the long run save yourself a lot of money, UN-needed stress and aggravation.
Old 23-01-14, 10:31 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

I now have this mind set, CPU and motherboard shall be upgraded every 2nd release i.e 2700K --> 4700K etc...

GPU shall be upgraded every 2nd release also, Nvidia 5xx series, 7xx series, 9xx series etc...

This way you actually see a noticeable performance increase and in the long run save yourself a lot of money, UN-needed stress and aggravation.
Makes sense, seems like a waste of money upgrading every 6 months.
Old 23-01-14, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just bought a second GTX 780 and you know what I did as soon as I read this post? I looked at them through my 900D's giant window and said out loud. "I hate you"
i5-3570k @4.5 GHZ 1.336v - Asus Maximus V Formula -Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 1600Mhz Red - Inno 3D GTX 780 - Asus DCII GTX 780 - Asus DCII GTX 780 (not installed) - Corsair 900D - Seagate1TB 7200 RPM- WD 2TB Green - Samsung 530 120GB SSD - Samsung evo 540 250GB (not installed) - Samsung evo 540 250GB (not installed)

Alphacool XT45 480 - XSPC RX 240 (not installed) 140 AF QE white LED - 3 x 120 AF PE - 4 x phobya 120mm - 4 x Bitfinex 120mm pro - 4 x NF-F12 (not installed)
Old 23-01-14, 11:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahimoth View Post
I just bought a second GTX 780 and you know what I did as soon as I read this post? I looked at them through my 900D's giant window and said out loud. "I hate you"
Lol, This "Upgrade bug" is just another word for Greed.
Old 23-01-14, 12:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to MrKambo
Quote:
Lol, This "Upgrade bug" is just another word for Greed.
i wouldn't say its greed, its more like what i say when i was building cars for people, 'forever chasing numbers'

having 300bhp(780) as a daily driver is more than adequate, its economical, comfortable to live with and fast enough to have some fun with when you feel bored.

400bhp(780Ti) this is where in the pub people shout numbers, I have 400hp, but the skimpy 15" wheels(screen resolution) don't get the power down properly, and its quite thirsty and uneconomical, im also afraid to give it full beans because if anything breaks its expensive to replace!

500bhp(Titan Black/Ultra Etc) this was stupidly expensive to build, and you cant fully see what its capable of because there isnt anything which allows you to no holds bar give it some (excuse my French), then in order to see what it can do, you end up paying for serious track days (more screens, psu, cpu etc) and you've just fully entered the world of a bottomless pit because from there 600hp is the next step (maxwell or what ever is next on the cards)

that's the best way i can describe it, and im actually victim to this, i have had my fair share of cars, turbo's, super chargers, ive driven alot of cars people only see in a car park, and the owners always say the same thing, i want xxx amount of hp, then you explain that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages 10 fold, and they respond with well i want it because i can, not because i need.

nvidia just keep releasing stuff, because they know consumers will buy because want it not because they need it. Forever chasing them FPS!
Old 23-01-14, 12:15 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post
i wouldn't say its greed, its more like what i say when i was building cars for people, 'forever chasing numbers'

having 300bhp(780) as a daily driver is more than adequate, its economical, comfortable to live with and fast enough to have some fun with when you feel bored.

400bhp(780Ti) this is where in the pub people shout numbers, I have 400hp, but the skimpy 15" wheels(screen resolution) don't get the power down properly, and its quite thirsty and uneconomical, im also afraid to give it full beans because if anything breaks its expensive to replace!

500bhp(Titan Black/Ultra Etc) this was stupidly expensive to build, and you cant fully see what its capable of because there isnt anything which allows you to no holds bar give it some (excuse my French), then in order to see what it can do, you end up paying for serious track days (more screens, psu, cpu etc) and you've just fully entered the world of a bottomless pit because from there 600hp is the next step (maxwell or what ever is next on the cards)

that's the best way i can describe it, and im actually victim to this, i have had my fair share of cars, turbo's, super chargers, ive driven alot of cars people only see in a car park, and the owners always say the same thing, i want xxx amount of hp, then you explain that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages 10 fold, and they respond with well i want it because i can, not because i need.

nvidia just keep releasing stuff, because they know consumers will buy because want it not because they need it. Forever chasing them FPS!
Thats geniusly explained

Get along or run along. Your choice