Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays

Old 19-05-17, 01:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Spec Me A Monitor

Ok so my cousin is buying her son a new monitor but has no clue what to buy him, For some context his rig consists of a 7700K, 1080 founders edition *non Ti*, 16GB memory.

He spent about a year and a half saving up for all of his stuff and as he's only 16 that's quite the feat, He had jobs everywhere, Cleaning, Doing gardening, Delivery jobs etc...a real trooper.

Anyway, At the end of it he was only left over with about enough to afford a really low end crappy 1080P panel, I advised against buying it so he has all of his gear but no display, Currently playing on an old HDTV.

So, Me and my cousin have been discussing which monitor to get him, Money isn't really an issue as it's not like we're going to pick out a Dell 8K

He plays A LOT of twitch shooters but also loves his RPG's like The Witcher 3 etc....

I was thinking of advising her to go for the Asus PG279Q 1440P 165Hz G-Sync IPS but as I and many people I know have had really bad luck with Asus panels in the past I wouldn't want to see him having all these problems too with the annoyance of dealing with Asus CS etc...unless of course if that situation has changed and Asus' quality control has gotten better ?

Can anyone recommend a good solid panel, Preferably 1440P 144Hz+ that has a vendor with a good reputation and quality control ?

Old 19-05-17, 01:50 PM
OC3D Elite

HP Omen 32. It's "only" 70hz but it's the best monitor out there for the cash right now.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 19-05-17, 02:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Is there a budget Dicey?

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 19-05-17, 02:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Ok so my cousin is buying her son a new monitor but has no clue what to buy him, For some context his rig consists of a 7700K, 1080 founders edition *non Ti*, 16GB memory.

He spent about a year and a half saving up for all of his stuff and as he's only 16 that's quite the feat, He had jobs everywhere, Cleaning, Doing gardening, Delivery jobs etc...a real trooper.

Anyway, At the end of it he was only left over with about enough to afford a really low end crappy 1080P panel, I advised against buying it so he has all of his gear but no display, Currently playing on an old HDTV.

So, Me and my cousin have been discussing which monitor to get him, Money isn't really an issue as it's not like we're going to pick out a Dell 8K

He plays A LOT of twitch shooters but also loves his RPG's like The Witcher 3 etc....

I was thinking of advising her to go for the Asus PG279Q 1440P 165Hz G-Sync IPS but as I and many people I know have had really bad luck with Asus panels in the past I wouldn't want to see him having all these problems too with the annoyance of dealing with Asus CS etc...unless of course if that situation has changed and Asus' quality control has gotten better ?

Can anyone recommend a good solid panel, Preferably 1440P 144Hz+ that has a vendor with a good reputation and quality control ?
Considering you have changed your monitors more than many of us I would have thought you have more experience, better feel and general idea of what to go for more than us. Especially if money is not an issue.

TN is better for twitch shooters and high refresh. IPS achieves high refresh rates in most cases from Overclocking.
Old 19-05-17, 02:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
HP Omen 32. It's "only" 70hz but it's the best monitor out there for the cash right now.
Looks good, Although only 75Hz, I'll keep an eye out on it though thanks bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
Is there a budget Dicey?
Under a grand preferably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Considering you have changed your monitors more than many of us I would have thought you have more experience, better feel and general idea of what to go for more than us. Especially if money is not an issue.

TN is better for twitch shooters and high refresh. IPS achieves high refresh rates in most cases from Overclocking.
Well I've only had experience with Asus and Dell so far, With Asus I swapped my monitor out 7 times due to faults, Although I'm curious to see if this has changed with the newer IPS model and Dell is good but the 144Hz monitors I was looking at seem to be EOL which could mean an IPS variant may be on the horizon.

IPS in some tests has been shown to match TN in terms of responsiveness, The Tech Chap did a good video comparing the PG278Q and PG279Q, The IPS version actually had better responsiveness albeit only by a tiny tiny margin.
Old 19-05-17, 04:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Well there is the AOC Agon but I wouldn't know if their CS was good https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-a...mo-046-ao.html

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 19-05-17, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

I have just gotten a PG278QR
Read that you might be unlucky with the 279Q with uneven lighting, and I didn't want to spend the time returning it.
But when he is a gamer definitely a high refresh rate monitor.
Old 19-05-17, 05:55 PM

I owned three different pg279q 165hz monitors. I had back light uniformity problems on one, quite a few stuck pixels and a yellow tinge on a second and the third had contstant pixel clock related inversion problems. I know from speaking to ASUS that they had a firmware fix for the pixel inversion problems finally a short while ago. I got tired of messing about. I ended up getting an Acer XB271hu which after some tweaking and calibrating properly is a cracker. I actually ordered two and kept the one i liked the most. I have heard of similar problems with the Acer though. Both the acer and asus use the same panel but the acer has a different coating. Im only using mine at 144hz but its a great monitor and its cheaper than the asus
Old 19-05-17, 10:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
IPS in some tests has been shown to match TN in terms of responsiveness, The Tech Chap did a good video comparing the PG278Q and PG279Q, The IPS version actually had better responsiveness albeit only by a tiny tiny margin.
Disagree with them on that then or they had a golden monitor. I had both and the 278Q was much better. I stuck with the 279Q just because I wanted to try IPS. It's grown on me and now I have the 348Q now but as far as response goes, the 278Q was way superior for me.

I still think TN panels are the way to go, either AOC predator, or ASUS Swift. I think the dead pixel craze has disappeared now.
Old 20-05-17, 09:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Disagree with them on that then or they had a golden monitor. I had both and the 278Q was much better. I stuck with the 279Q just because I wanted to try IPS. It's grown on me and now I have the 348Q now but as far as response goes, the 278Q was way superior for me.

I still think TN panels are the way to go, either AOC predator, or ASUS Swift. I think the dead pixel craze has disappeared now.
No, what? I'm still here dude