Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-09-19, 09:36 AM
News Guru

Intel's Cascade Lake-X pledges to shatter Threadripper's value proposition

Intel expects a 70-109% increase in performance per dollar with Cascade Lake-X.

Read more about Intel's plans to shatter Threadripper's value proposition with Cascade Lake-X.

Old 05-09-19, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

benched before or after the dozend security patches?......
Old 05-09-19, 10:39 AM

maybe too late

Unless the new Intel has amazing performance my next buy will be AMD; Intel sat on their hands milking customers for too long and AMD deserve sales for not holding back.
Old 05-09-19, 10:45 AM

Soo first of: "between 74% and 209% more performance-per-dollar" I think you mean between 74% and 109% more.
Second: Good for Intel to boost their ego by beating last-gen AMD. I'm sure Threadripper 3 will be on-par with this if not even faster.
Old 05-09-19, 12:59 PM
OC3D Crew

So have Intel and AMD traded places with there over exaggerated claims? I'd guess that this will be on a specific work load and will not take into account both next gen tr and the guaranteed requirement to need a new socket.
Trying to do the maths on this basing it on the current 2990wx is £1500 but struggling whilst I'm at work but it looks as if it's going to have to clocked significantly higher, priced a lot lower or contain a hell of a lot of cores if not all to reach those claims
Old 05-09-19, 01:17 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
So have Intel and AMD traded places with there over exaggerated claims? I'd guess that this will be on a specific work load and will not take into account both next gen tr and the guaranteed requirement to need a new socket.
Trying to do the maths on this basing it on the current 2990wx is £1500 but struggling whilst I'm at work but it looks as if it's going to have to clocked significantly higher, priced a lot lower or contain a hell of a lot of cores if not all to reach those claims
Intel has been speaking a lot about "real world" performance. Ultimately it depends on what they test. Threadripper can fall short in a lot of applications due to its multi-die nature. That said, Threadripper beats Skylake-X in Intel's numbers, so it must be a mix of factors.

AMD plans to release the Ryzen 3rd Gen 3950X soon, so that is the new 16-core that Intel needs to compete with. It is only a matter of time before Threadripper is replaced.

Between Ryzen 3rd Gen and next-gen Threadripper Intel needs to decrease their pricing of X299 hardware. This way, Intel has spoken about their price cuts early so that it is seen positively. They don't want this to be seen as "we are reacting to AMD".
Old 05-09-19, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdimitrov View Post
Soo first of: "between 74% and 209% more performance-per-dollar" I think you mean between 74% and 109% more.
Second: Good for Intel to boost their ego by beating last-gen AMD. I'm sure Threadripper 3 will be on-par with this if not even faster.
My 3900x at stock with a dodgy BIOS has about double the performance of my overclocked 2700x in Cinebench despite my 3900x only having 4 more cores. AMD would have to really screw up badly with Zen 2 Threadripper to not see them have a similar uplift over Zen+ Threadripper...
Old 05-09-19, 01:58 PM

Yes this says nothing about core count. Could be another 18 core, but at a cheap price and that would tick the double performance per dollar claim.
Old 05-09-19, 02:37 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post
Yes this says nothing about core count. Could be another 18 core, but at a cheap price and that would tick the double performance per dollar claim.
I don't see core counts increasing with Cascade lake. This is definitely a price/clocks thing. At least that's how I see it.
Old 05-09-19, 03:45 PM

and it only took a year for intel to catch up... meanwhile AMD are about to launch the next TR.

Even intel are making themselves look irrelevant.